Need an enclosure feedback

hey guys!

Me and my boyfriend got a baby veiled chameleon from FLChams almost two weeks ago. His name is Rango and he is about 3 months old.

Before getting him, I read that it's better to start with a smaller terrarium and then go bigger as the chameleon grows. However, our vet has a lot of experience with chameleons and he said that his chameleon had a extra large cage since a little baby. So that's what we did. We got a X-Large ZooMed Reptibreeze Screen Cage 24x24x48 inches.
We build the vines and branches and even a little ladder for him to crawl around.

He seems to be happy in this terrarium! He crawls around everywhere, except he never goes to the very bottom. And he never struggles with finding crickets, Rango is a hunter!

Any feedback on the terrarium? I would love to hear some opinions/advice :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 125
Very nice, but you'll need more either fake plants on side so when you spray or mist, there leafs for water to continue dripping down or live plants. Since you have reptibreeze you might want to cover the back especially when misting so your wall won't get wet and mold. You can do same to the sides if you want to keep humidity up if no live plants used.

Very nice, but you'll need more either fake plants on side so when you spray or mist, there leafs for water to continue dripping down or live plants. Since you have reptibreeze you might want to cover the back especially when misting so your wall won't get wet and mold. You can do same to the sides if you want to keep humidity up if no live plants used.

I was thinking of putting live plants but I don't know where and how. My first idea was to put a hibiscus on the bottom so it can grow up but they need a lot of sunlight and it won't bloom if it's in the cage all the time. Then I was thinking of getting a ficus tree but the only ones that I've seen are huge. I was thinking maybe putting a ficus tree outside the cage and connect it with vines? Make a little free range area? So Rango can crawl out of his cage?

I was thinking of putting live plants but I don't know where and how. My first idea was to put a hibiscus on the bottom so it can grow up but they need a lot of sunlight and it won't bloom if it's in the cage all the time. Then I was thinking of getting a ficus tree but the only ones that I've seen are huge. I was thinking maybe putting a ficus tree outside the cage and connect it with vines? Make a little free range area? So Rango can crawl out of his cage?
Free ranging would be great idea just make sure it has some natural sunlight for chameleon or a light fixture. Also you can get an aquarium light fixture and get the proper light bulb for the plants to thrive so I've been told or you can get pothos and hang it and let vine drape down, but I haven't had any problem with my plants, some indoor plants can thrive with little light depending on which one. I have a small pothos still growing vines at bottom of the cage and been growing pretty fast.
Using only exo terra natural light 13W but I have a window across from enclosure and gets natural light here and there.
Would recommend putting some live plants or at least cover the back and add more fake plants to side if you aren't able find right size or size you want for live plants at the moment. What I did was only had bunch of fake plants, covered back and one side so humidity stays a little more and gives more drinking spots for my chameleon.

Free ranging would be great idea just make sure it has some natural sunlight for chameleon or a light fixture. Also you can get an aquarium light fixture and get the proper light bulb for the plants to thrive so I've been told or you can get pothos and hang it and let vine drape down, but I haven't had any problem with my plants, some indoor plants can thrive with little light depending on which one. I have a small pothos still growing vines at bottom of the cage and been growing pretty fast.
Using only exo terra natural light 13W but I have a window across from enclosure and gets natural light here and there.
Would recommend putting some live plants or at least cover the back and add more fake plants to side if you aren't able find right size or size you want for live plants at the moment. What I did was only had bunch of fake plants, covered back and one side so humidity stays a little more and gives more drinking spots for my chameleon.

Pothos is a great idea! I'm also gonna add more fake plants and cover the back for sure, I've been looking for background cover to put there! Thank you so much for your advice!! :)

I have a ficus and pothos in my cage and they do good. The pothos does really good I can see a difference every week. You can also get fake plants at dollar stores.

How is your pothos and ficus set up? If you don't mind me asking
I have a big reptarium cage its 29x29x72 inch. It has a pretty weak frame so I built a wooden stand that goes from bottom to just below the top. I have ledges on the sides that my pothos sits on and I also have a fern that sits up there as well. The ficus sits on a 5 gallon bucket to bring it closer to the top.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a ficus, umbrella or pothos. I have small two umbrella plants in pots just sitting at the bottom of the cage, doing fine. I bought a small ficus as a spare to rotate them in and out of the cage if needed. It's growing pretty fast. I'm going to try to braid it myself. The kids showed me how to braid, lol.

Back
Top Bottom