Need an advice on coccidia

pelkos

Hi Everyone,

I recently did a test for parasites for my Jackson's chameleon, and it came back positive on coccidia. They didn't tell me how much of it was found, and my cham doesn't show any bad symptoms, so I assume it's probably not too bad yet.

My vet wants to treat with Albon, but would help me get Ponazuril if I decide so. He has doubts about Ponazuril though, for a few reasons but also because my cham is tiny (6-7 months old, 37 grams).

Could anyone give me an advice which medicine should I try? I was thinking maybe trying Ponazuril first, and then consider Albon if it doesn't help? How do I go about dosage with Ponazuril?

Also, I've heard I need to get rid of all the live plants and clean the cage vigorously, is this correct? My vet doesn't insist on throwing away the live plants... I plan on buying a steam cleaner this week, so will be cleaning his cage 1-2 times a day be ok?

Ponazuril works quicker than albon and has less side effects.

I do my own fecals so I have seen the dramatic decrease in coccidia first hand.

Day one a slide was loaded with oocysts... three days of Ponazuril and there where only a few oocysts on the slide. By second treatment they where gone

The dose is 3 days by mouth...wait two weeks and repeat 3 days....have a fecal done to see if more dosage is needed.

Albon dose is more time consuming and have been reported to be hard on their systems and even make them stop eating.

Id go with Ponazuril

Thanks so much for the links and the advice! I'm convinced I should try Ponazuril, will ask my vet to order it tomorrow.

Regarding the dosage - it's 30mg/kg, so for my 37 gram cham the dosage will be a little over 1 mg?

As I start treatment, I will remove all live plants from his cage, as it will be easier to keep it clean this way. Will be doing some light cleaning everyday, and 2 times a week a more thorough with a steam cleaner. Once he's clean will do a massive cleaning of the cage and all the vines with peroxide and boiling water. For the live plants - probably would be easier to get new ones? I can wash them with soapy water, but not sure I want to risk and put them back in his cage...

You can wash your live plants with the peroxide. Just rinse them well. They might look bad for a few days but they will come back around. Mine did. :)

I'm not sure about the dose but the Compound Pharmacy that makes the Ponazuril for you should give you the dose. My vet uses Diamondback Pharmacy in AZ.

One thing to be aware of. If you remove all the plants it does make it easier to clean... However I have found that a chameleon with no leaves to drink off of will often go to the bottom of the cage and drink off the floor. This is bad if there is a poop down there that you have not gotten a chance to clean yet.

Contact with fecal matter is what causes re-infection.

You may want to put a sprig of fake leaves and attach them high in the cage to give him a place to drink during treatment...also it will give him a place to hide = less stress= heal faster

A plastic sprig of leaves is easy to clean

Also I suggest cup feeding while treating for coccidia... This way no cricket is walking through and feces before making its way to your chameleons mouth. Clean up poop as soon as you see it..

Your vet should tell you the dosage... I have a dose chart from my vet but I would have to go get it to tell you.... I think it was .12 cc per 100 grams.. but that is also for the suspension he gave me. I don't know if what your vet will get will be a different strength

Last edited:
You can wash your live plants with the peroxide. Just rinse them well. They might look bad for a few days but they will come back around. Mine did. :)

I'm not sure about the dose but the Compound Pharmacy that makes the Ponazuril for you should give you the dose. My vet uses Diamondback Pharmacy in AZ.
This is what I probably will do and hope they survive, thanks for the advice! I will tell my vet about Diamondback Pharmacy. I just checked their website, hopefully everything will work out!

One thing to be aware of. If you remove all the plants it does make it easier to clean... However I have found that a chameleon with no leaves to drink off of will often go to the bottom of the cage and drink off the floor. This is bad if there is a poop down there that you have not gotten a chance to clean yet.

Contact with fecal matter is what causes re-infection.

You may want to put a sprig of fake leaves and attach them high in the cage to give him a place to drink during treatment...also it will give him a place to hide = less stress= heal faster

A plastic sprig of leaves is easy to clean

Also I suggest cup feeding while treating for coccidia... This way no cricket is walking through and feces before making its way to your chameleons mouth. Clean up poop as soon as you see it..

Your vet should tell you the dosage... I have a dose chart from my vet but I would have to go get it to tell you.... I think it was .12 cc per 100 grams.. but that is also for the suspension he gave me. I don't know if what your vet will get will be a different strength
I have a "bridge" with fake leaves and some fake "ficus." He usually drinks while I spray him, but I maybe should still leave a pothos and only remove the schefflera.

I usually don't leave any feeders in his cage, always put them on branches one at a time, as many as he would eat and take back all the uneaten ones. I offer him small quantities 2 times a day, every day. I tried different feeder cups but he wasn't very enthusiastic with them, and used them as bridges :)

I hope they will let me know the right dosage once the vet contacts the pharmacy!

Back
Top Bottom