Need Advice...

RECK7ESS

Are the mini succulents sold at Wal-Mart safe to be in my veileds enclosure? Just trying to make it lively and natural....
I'm adding a pic of the succulents but Im unsure what kind they are. I do understand I have to replace the soil and that they dont do well with humidity. Just want to know if its safe to be in his cage. Also any input on how i should set his cage up or add etc please let me know. Adding a pic of what I have. I dont know a whole lot. Did care for a Jacksons Cham for couple years, yet it died. I mist really really good three times daily. Use uvb and day bulb 12 hours about. 6am I mist heavy turn on day bulb.. Add crickets at 6thirty as well as turn on uvb. At noon i light mist and feed again. At 3 heavy mist. Maybe mealworms as snack every couple days. At 6 uvb off and heavy mist then day bulb off at 6thirty. Hes very active moves around alot. Eats alot. And very aggressive. Which isn fine. Got him about a month ago. His name is reptar
Got him from local pet shop unsure of how old but hes still growing thats for sure lol. Again any input helps.

Attachments

• 20200218_153852.jpg
    20200218_153852.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200218_154440.jpg
    20200218_154440.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200218_154507.jpg
    20200218_154507.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 80
They are safe... the thing is, you yould have to rince them well and repot them to eliminate possible pesticides residues.
You probably would be better off with humidity loving plants since your cham also needs alot of it.
I suggest:

•umbrella plant (Schefflera sp.)
•Ficus tree (F. benjamina, F. lyrata, F. elastica)
•pothos (Scindapsus sp.)
•Cordyline sp.
To name a few :)

I noticed a water bowl at the bottom and a dual fixture. Could you fill out this form?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Are the mini succulents sold at Wal-Mart safe to be in my veileds enclosure? Just trying to make it lively and natural....
I'm adding a pic of the succulents but Im unsure what kind they are. I do understand I have to replace the soil and that they dont do well with humidity. Just want to know if its safe to be in his cage. Also any input on how i should set his cage up or add etc please let me know. Adding a pic of what I have. I dont know a whole lot. Did care for a Jacksons Cham for couple years, yet it died. I mist really really good three times daily. Use uvb and day bulb 12 hours about. 6am I mist heavy turn on day bulb.. Add crickets at 6thirty as well as turn on uvb. At noon i light mist and feed again. At 3 heavy mist. Maybe mealworms as snack every couple days. At 6 uvb off and heavy mist then day bulb off at 6thirty. Hes very active moves around alot. Eats alot. And very aggressive. Which isn fine. Got him about a month ago. His name is reptar
Got him from local pet shop unsure of how old but hes still growing thats for sure lol. Again any input helps.
Do not combine heat with humidity.
when misting, your heat bulb should not be on. So I I would simply switch wha you’re doing, to turn the heat lamp off before the uvb.
That way you don’t risk a respiratory infection.

when misting, your heat bulb should not be on. So I I would simply switch wha you’re doing, to turn the heat lamp off before the uvb.
Oh wow I feel stupid. And I thought it was good to keep bulbs on cuz I didnt wanna shock with temp difference in water. Thank you for that.

They are safe... the thing is, you yould have to rince them well and repot them to eliminate possible pesticides residues.
You probably would be better off with humidity loving plants since your cham also needs alot of it.
I suggest:

•umbrella plant (Schefflera sp.)
•Ficus tree (F. benjamina, F. lyrata, F. elastica)
•pothos (Scindapsus sp.)
•Cordyline sp.
To name a few :)
Awesome thank you.

I’m not so sure about that. I had misted my previous chameleon and now must my current chameleon with the bulb on. Neither have had a problem. I’m more concerned about the husbandry. Filling out the form I provided will help a lot.

Really? Link to evidence of that?

You know its not like we have not turned our basking lights off while misting for the better part of 4 decades.

Not trying to attack you, this has been being thrown around ALOT lately, and its baseless.

We actually just had a thread about this, https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/heat-humidity-ri.173549/

To be clear, if you want to shut off the basking light, prior to misting as a early warning sign of the incoming water sprayer, thats cool, and I do that. However you do not need to do so for fear of RI, as there is simply nothing to support that as reality, and that myth has been broken in other reptile hobbys long time ago.

Last edited:
Really? Link to evidence of that?

You know its not like we have not turned our basking lights off while misting for the better part of 4 decades.

Not trying to attack you, this has been being thrown around ALOT lately, and its baseless.

We actually just had a thread about this, https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/heat-humidity-ri.173549/

To be clear, if you want to shut off the basking light, prior to misting as a early warning sign of the incoming water sprayer, thats cool, and I do that. However you do not need to do so for fear of RI, as there is simply nothing to support that as reality, and that myth has been broken in other reptile hobbys long time ago.
1582067483544.jpeg

There are many hydration methods tested and proven. Most of them include multiple mistings throughout the day. Misting a number of times through out the day has worked for decades. If your mentor insists on this method then follow your mentor. The method described here is the naturalistic hydration method which replicates the cycles found in nature. This is our mandate – to get as close to nature. Regardless of the regimen you use, make sure you understand the reason behind what is being done here because this is following the natural cycle.

https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-hydration-for-chameleons/

View attachment 258957
There are many hydration methods tested and proven. Most of them include multiple mistings throughout the day. Misting a number of times through out the day has worked for decades. If your mentor insists on this method then follow your mentor. The method described here is the naturalistic hydration method which replicates the cycles found in nature. This is our mandate – to get as close to nature. Regardless of the regimen you use, make sure you understand the reason behind what is being done here because this is following the natural cycle.

@cyberlocc the data king lol .

View attachment 258957

Well that wasn't your original statement though.

"Do not combine heat with humidity.
That way you don’t risk a respiratory infection."

That graph has nothing to do with RIs.

The graph, was bills personal husbandry experiment, and an idea he has had work, however it hasn't seen long term testing to my knowledge.

It may very well, work. It's not really that tested, and has some great ideas and goals in the guide itself.

However the piece you just linked, happens to be one of the ones I take issue with.

Out of scope in this thread. However a good thread to read on that, if your curious.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/when-how-much-does-your-chameleon-bask.173510/

There is a couple others where I mention that very issue with Bill. Also one where me and Petr discussed it.

Reality is, the sun does not start getting cooler at 10am, it hasn't even reached the peak yet.

The idea that Chameleons only bask in the morning and then not anymore, so turn the light off to save power, well we have a running vote in the other thread linked. That you can use to make your desicion, as well as add behavior you have seen. I would really like to see more voters, whatever they have seen, all data is good data.

Last edited:
Well that wasn't your original statement though.

"Do not combine heat with humidity.
That way you don’t risk a respiratory infection."

That graph has nothing to do with RIs.

The graph, was bills personal husbandry experiment, and an idea he has had work, however it hasn't seen long term testing to my knowledge.

It may very well, work. It's not really that tested, and has some great ideas and goals in the guide itself.

However the piece you just linked, happens to be one of the ones I take issue with.

Out of scope in this thread. However a good thread to read on that, if your curious.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/when-how-much-does-your-chameleon-bask.173510/

There is a couple others where I mention that very issue with Bill. Also one where me and Petr discussed it.

Reality is, the sun does not start getting cooler at 10am, it hasn't even reached the peak yet.

The idea that Chameleons only bask in the morning and then not anymore, so turn the light off to save power, well we have a running vote in the other thread linked. That you can use to make your desicion, as well as add behavior you have seen. I would really like to see more voters, whatever they have seen, all data is good data.
Yeah I do notice he likes to bask during afternoon like 12 to 3 most. In morning hours he is exploring and super active hhunting.

I don’t believe this is true at all

Back
Top Bottom