Need advice please help

RobStac

Hey, so I just got a male adult nosy faly panther chameleon shipped to me yesterday, and I noticed that he was starting to sleep early while the lights were on, I have other chameleons and know that this is not a good sign, This morning the lights turn on automatically at 8 and he hasn't left the spot he went to at the bottom of cage and its been 2 hours, he moved a bit but I found him trying to sleep again and he hasn't even went up to his basking spot for heat yet, please help, he must be stressed because of the shipping and change in location but I don't no what to think here's my info I have...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? -------- Adult male nosy faly panther, Had 1 day
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? ------- none so far
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Fed him 12 crickets and 2 horn worms first day
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?---- Reptive vitamin suppliment
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? ---------- repti monsoon, 30 seconds every 2 hours
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Has not pooped yet since I have had him, he was a breeder chameleon before so no parasites I believe.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.-------- Just got him so no idea lol.

Cage Info: ----- Flexarium
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? --------- 100 gallon mesh
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ------ 2 basking spots, with the blue 60 watt bulbs - repti 10.0 long tube uvb
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? --------89 degrees in basking spot, 70 at night, ambient around 80
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? --------- I have a monsoon mister and a repti fogger, the mister goes off every 2 hours for 30 seconds I put the fogger on for 30 mins a day.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? ------- a lot of non live plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? ---------- in room not much traffic, on floor about 4 feet high
Location - Where are you geographically located?-------- Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Only suggestion I have really is to keep one basking spot and perhaps that will drop the ambient temp down a bit in the cage. He only needs one spot to bask anyway.

I suggest you get a temp gun. they are very accurate and perfect for measuring temps all around the cage instantly. A lot of other instruments I've used have been very inaccurate.

I suggest you get a temp gun. they are very accurate and perfect for measuring temps all around the cage instantly. A lot of other instruments I've used have been very inaccurate.

I swear by temp guns! You can easily and quickly check the temp in any part of the cage just by pointing it at it, including checking the surface temp of your cham! I don't even use cage thermometers anymore. Its great that you can now get temp guns for pennies....they used to cost at least $100.

Okay, so I will get that, I removed one of the basking spots as requested, now I have one dome light with 100 watt house bulb about 8 inches away from the perch, thanks for the advise everyone, I'm just really scared that when I see my new chameleon close his eyes right under the baskin spot, I've only had him for a day now I really want him to thrive

RobStac,

As I mentioned, I received two Jackson's the same day as you from the same breeder. When I unpacked them and placed them in their cages, they were showing normal colouring and other than being a little thirsty, looked otherwise healthy.

Yesterday I got home from work and the male was sitting in his cage with his eyes closed curled up under the lights. I took him out to inspect him and he did not once open his eyes. I placed him back on a vine and he stayed there until this morning when the lights came on. He woke up normally and was headed to his basking spot, looking pretty green and alert. He hasn't eaten since he arrived so I'm hoping he will feed today. He had a nice drink this morning.

The female on the other hand, has shown stressed colouration since I placed her in her enclosure. She has not eaten either but she has been drinking and was happy to drink straight from the misting bottle this morning. I am not quite sure at this point if she's just still adjusting to her new home as this is day 2 OR if there is something going on in her enclosure that she just doesn't like. Temperatures are good, humidity is good, lots of cover, etc. I'm going to wait it out until Sunday and if she's still showing signs of stress, play around with her lighting/temperatures.

I heard that the shipment made that day to Alberta was DOA. We are lucky that our guys made it ok.

O wow yeah we are both really lucky, I thin are chams maybe just a tad stressed hopefully it all works out, my guy has been acting better today only closed his eyes for like 10 seconds, my guy ate right away and is eating a lot but I Havnt caught him drinkin yet! But keep me posted I hope it works out for both of us

Back
Top Bottom