Need advice on my new cham

Monsimic

hello, never owned a Cham before. Just bought one two days ago, when i hold him he’s a healthy green and seems to come right to me however whenever i put him into his cage he turns a dark green color. Is something wrong w his cage? Need advice on what to put in it so he’s happy. Also, i bought a Cham kit and sometimes i wonder if the bulbs aren’t warming him up enough? Should i buy another lamp? Any other important advice on how to raise this little guy ( or girls can’t even figure out the gender lol) is greatly appreciate to hear it all!

Attachments

• C403ED70-DABD-4D68-B5A4-6A6B13339D96.jpeg
    C403ED70-DABD-4D68-B5A4-6A6B13339D96.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 218
Color in his cage? Is he angry? Stressed?

Attachments

• F3A71FF6-A996-46A6-B0A8-5B0B9E00CDEE.jpeg
    F3A71FF6-A996-46A6-B0A8-5B0B9E00CDEE.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 214
I recently learned that too.. he turns a darker color and may flatten out because hes soaking up the uvb n basking light. Nothing to worry about... look into getting some more bendy vines or branches and more plant cover. He needs more shade and places to hide... basking temp for a youngster should be 85 to 89 degrees.. for veilds it may be higher just research it on this forum lot of good info!

A LOT more plant cover and branches... he should have multiple levels of branches... closer and further from basking light... and mist him for a good minute a few times a day, he may be slightly dehydrated.. i dont see any plants he can reach to get water drops from... so make a branch lead to your plant and then soak it

Just pick up a non toxic palm tree house plant that should be fairly cheap and will be able to shade n provide lots of water opportunity

Good luck! Looking foward to your improvements

Last edited:
I recently learned that too.. he turns a darker color and may flatten out because hes soaking up the uvb n basking light. Nothing to worry about... look into getting some more bendy vines or branches and more plant cover. He needs more shade and places to hide... basking temp for a youngster should be 85 to 89 degrees.. for veilds it may be higher just research it on this forum lot of good info!

A LOT more plant cover and branches... he should have multiple levels of branches... closer and further from basking light... and mist him for a good minute a few times a day, he may be slightly dehydrated.. i dont see any plants he can reach to get water drops from... so make a branch lead to your plant and then soak it

Just pick up a non toxic palm tree house plant that should be fairly cheap and will be able to shade n provide lots of water opportunity

Good luck! Looking foward to your improvements
Ah thank you! I’ve been misting him three times a day but maybe i should mist more. Do you think he’d be okay until tomorrow to get him more plants?

Yeah he'll be okay... the plants will actually keep humidity up. Do you have thermo and hygrometer? To measure temp and humidity?

I would also mist indirectly on him as well.. so the water can maybe go from his cone into his mouth? Lol
Look up the safe plant list on this site.. there are tons of options. Most people get unbrella plants. And pothos

Go on amazon and type in flexible reptile vines.. they have tons of types.. that way you can bend them any way you want ... fairly inexpensive too 7 to 12 bucks depending which you like..

Heres a pic of my enclosure as an example of the vines and branches but even i need some more plants to shade on the top half for my lil guy. Youll constantly learn and expand as i am still... sorry for all the posts lol... if your unsure on ANYTHING.. ask ask ask questions. People here are very helpful!

And even tons of info in the search section which will bring up all posts from the past as well. 20180623_154706.jpg

Heres a pic of my enclosure as an example of the vines and branches but even i need some more plants to shade on the top half for my lil guy. Youll constantly learn and expand as i am still... sorry for all the posts lol... if your unsure on ANYTHING.. ask ask ask questions. People here are very helpful!

And even tons of info in the search section which will bring up all posts from the past as well. View attachment 209734
Wow yours is beautiful! Thank you! I’m going to go to a plant nursery tomorrow and pick up some more stuff for him. Also, do you prefer a little water dripper over misting? Or do you think misting is better? And about how many crickets should a juvenile eat per day? Do they like any fruits or veggies?

Wow yours is beautiful! Thank you! I’m going to go to a plant nursery tomorrow and pick up some more stuff for him. Also, do you prefer a little water dripper over misting? Or do you think misting is better? And about how many crickets should a juvenile eat per day? Do they like any fruits or veggies?
Also, do you have a specific lamp for night time? Or is turning your lamp off enough?

I was too! Lol. But as soon as I got it untied and started to open the hole, he popped his head right out. He checked me out for a second and then tried to make a break for it so I put my hand in the direction he was running and he ran right up my arm! I think he was over being in that bag and was ready to go! lol

Also, do you have a specific lamp for night time? Or is turning your lamp off enough?

They need darkness to sleep.. if you have a night light on they will not get any sleep. Ive been giving mine between 6 to 9 crickets a day... and some days 6 crickets an 1 to 2 superworms... i have an auto mister going. So i dont need to worry bout it myself... if you can afford it id invest in one

And even tons of info in the search section which will bring up all posts from the past as well. View attachment 209734

Any advice on where to find the variety of vines and/or wood pieces for climbing? I've had a hard time finding them in stores and the ones I see online seem limited. I'm setting up for my first cham and looking for all the advice I can get!

Thanks!!

Any advice on where to find the variety of vines and/or wood pieces for climbing? I've had a hard time finding them in stores and the ones I see online seem limited. I'm setting up for my first cham and looking for all the advice I can get!

Thanks!!

Amazon.com miracle workers with that stuff...

Thanks!!
I find that driftwood has a certain look to it that just really makes it look like it was meant to be in a Cham in closure.

Thanks everyone! I've read that if you get sticks or wood from parks or public places that you need to bake them? This seems a little over the top but what do y'all think? Is it necessary? My parents have a lake house that has TONS of things I could easily pick up for free...but I would be worried about swampy issues idk, maybe I'm paranoid?

Thanks everyone! I've read that if you get sticks or wood from parks or public places that you need to bake them? This seems a little over the top but what do y'all think? Is it necessary? My parents have a lake house that has TONS of things I could easily pick up for free...but I would be worried about swampy issues idk, maybe I'm paranoid?
I lust lightly sanded mine and washed them real good and set them in the sun to dry, I also whittled off sharp bumps and stuff (I’m paranoid too) but you should avoid moldy ones but baking isn’t necessary just wash and dry real good and rinse any cleaner, use something completely nontoxic...very thoroughly:)

Dear @Monsimic, I do not know too much about Veileds, but I know a lot about people! You are a wonderful person! You truly desire the best for your chameleon! It is obvious! People will jump in to help you because you are polite, respectful and appreciate of the help received! You are open and ready to learn! Your chameleon is very lucky to have found you! Welcome to the forums! We are lucky to have you join us!

I dont bake or wash branches. I just cut some down and put them in. If they look dirty or were on the ground for awhile I'll sometimes rinse them off with the hose. That's about all though. I enjoy the critters that come in with them at times. Just apply a little common sense, if there's brown recluse spiders all over, it might need a cleaning lol. Otherwise, should be good.

Back
Top Bottom