need advice on lighting

cutebutevil

Hi all, I'm currently using mercury vapor 160 watt bulbs in deep domes for 175gallon reptarium and I'd like to make sure it isn't too much or too little. I have a pair of veileds in separate cages of course,LOL!

sounds like a good amount of light for them what is the temp at a few places, Basking site, cage middle , cage floor? How far is the light bulb to the basking site? play with that stuff to make it perfect.

From what i remember of mercury vapor is they dont get hot...you need a basking bulb to create heat. I would switch to regular basking bulb and you wouldnt need more than 100 watt for each cage.

From what i remember of mercury vapor is they dont get hot...you need a basking bulb to create heat. I would switch to regular basking bulb and you wouldnt need more than 100 watt for each cage.

Most Mercury Vapor actually produce fairly intense heat. There are a few special MV bulbs that produce far less, such as the 60W externally Ballasted one in the UK. But they aren't widely used yet. Other than those, they are a minimum of 100W ands produce heat.

Thanks for the reply the cages run from 100 at top to 85 at the lower shady spots at night it's in the 70's. She roams all over the cage doing a fair amount off basking during the day. I've been trying to figure out how to post pics in the thread, I can get them into the gallery but not into the thread. If you can help I can show you some pics.

The temperatures are within a Veileds requirements. However, be cautious with the heat and Ultraviolet deterioration of the Reptarium mesh.

Here is how to post photos. Let me know if it doesn't help, and I'll explain further.

Add photos to your post
There are two main options that members may use when adding photos to their forum posts.

• Attachments
    Add attachments to your forum posts by pressing the paperclip button viewable in the image below. If your chosen interface does not show the paperclip, use the 'manage attachments' button located below the post window. Once your attachment(s) have been uploaded, you can place them within your post using the paperclip button. If you don't place the attachments within your post, they will automatically be added to the bottom of your message. Each Member receives attachment space that is manageable from their control panel.
    attachment.gif

• External Images
    Any photo that is not an attachment is an external image. It is very common for members to use this option by linking images from the Chameleon Gallery or from external sites such as photobucket. To add an external image to your post, use the mountain icon shown in the image below and enter the url of the image you would like to add.
    external_images.gif

Back
Top Bottom