Need advice on humidity and basking temps

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
The Texas weather change has caused a change in my basking Temps and humidity levels. 73 @basking and 10 daytime humidity. 3 sides are covered with lexan and I use a towel at the door enclosure to maintain heat during daytime and humidity during nighttime. Carmelo has started sitting on top of the pothos directly at the point of the uvb bulb. This puts him within 1 inch of the uvb light. Im concerned about over exposure. He completely ignores his basking area. I think I should add an additional uvb a bulb to bump up the heat. How can I increase the humidity? I'm using a mister 3 times a day for 60 seconds and hand misting 3 times a day. I hand mist to avoid an enclosure that stay wet. Also, with the lack of humidity and dryness, i feel like Carmelo is less hydrated. His eyes are not as round as usual and he has allowed me to see him drink. Carmelo is a closet drinker. He has never taken a public sip. I also added a big dripper for additional hydration. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20221223_172055.jpg
    20221223_172055.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 61
I see you have a pothos, what other live plants do you have? What do you have in the bottom catching water?

73 sounds cold but I could be wrong, I’m less familiar with veileds. What do you have for a basking lamp?

I live in a cold climate so my heat runs a ton. I know it’s not easy, but I just mist a lot. I figure with the very low humidity the branches are drying out plenty quite quickly. I have found that lots of live plants, ample misting, and leaving a little water in the basin helps. I also read about the chimney effect where you can cover the front but leave some space at the bottom, and humid air should be drawn up. I have not tired that yet but seems like it’s worth a shot. Is that what you are doing, or are you fully covering the front?

I see you have a pothos, what other live plants do you have? What do you have in the bottom catching water?

73 sounds cold but I could be wrong, I’m less familiar with veileds. What do you have for a basking lamp?

I live in a cold climate so my heat runs a ton. I know it’s not easy, but I just mist a lot. I figure with the very low humidity the branches are drying out plenty quite quickly. I have found that lots of live plants, ample misting, and leaving a little water in the basin helps. I also read about the chimney effect where you can cover the front but leave some space at the bottom, and humid air should be drawn up. I have not tired that yet but seems like it’s worth a shot. Is that what you are doing, or are you fully covering the front?
The front is 3/4 covered. Veileds should bask at 80-85. That's why I'm going to add an additional uvb-a. I have a yucca, cordyline, and 2 money trees. I'm treating him for Giardia so I've removed the yucca and Cordyline (per doctors advice) until treatment is completed. I might remove the towel and try using a thick plastic cover at the front door.

How much have your ambient house temps dropped? This really changes our enclosures season to season. What the house sits at is what your ambient in the cage will pull.

How are you measuring your basking temps?

The room my Cham is in is cold in the winter without supplementary heat. I run a space heater in the room with a thermostat and probe near the middle of the cage. It runs on low at about 800watts so I don’t trip my breakers. Not sure how helpful that is, but I do have experience dealing with cold. I live at 8700’ lol.

How much have your ambient house temps dropped? This really changes our enclosures season to season. What the house sits at is what your ambient in the cage will pull.

How are you measuring your basking temps?
Ambient in house 68-72. I have 2 stories. At night ambient temp is 68 during waking hours ambient is 72. Im sure Carmelo is too cold. I have a dual Dome light. I'm only using one light (uvb-a) what do you think about adding an additional uvb-a for additional heat. I have temperature guages mounted at the top and near his sleeping spot near the bottom. I also have a handheld temperature guage for accuracy. Can I use a 60watt household bulb for heat?

Last edited:
Thats a bit too cold for the little guy in the day time, when I had my veiled I have the basking spot around mid 80. I just used Zoo Med repti basking bulb and light dome. I don't think another uvb light will provide enough heat.

Thats a bit too cold for the little guy in the day time, when I had my veiled I have the basking spot around mid 80. I just used Zoo Med repti basking bulb and light dome. I don't think another uvb light will provide enough heat.
Yes, he is too cold. I turned on my led plant light and he scurried to that spot. I'm adding a 75 watt incandescent bulb to the dual Dome light fixture. I have the T5HO 5.0 for the uvb-b. My husband is currently at the store purchasing the 75 watt bulb. After I install that bulb, I'll monitor heat output as to not provide too much heat. I've still got the humidity issue.
20221224_145643.jpg

Yes, he is too cold. I turned on my led plant light and he scurried to that spot. I'm adding a 75 watt incandescent bulb to the dual Dome light fixture. I have the T5HO 5.0 for the uvb-b. My husband is currently at the store purchasing the 75 watt bulb. After I install that bulb, I'll monitor heat output as to not provide too much heat. I've still got the humidity issue.View attachment 333100
A lot of live plants will help out with the humidity. I personally like to used fogger for increase of humidity, but I only used it at night to give them the humidity spike. Haven't tried it during the day yet. Drinking wise I know that veileds will sometimes snacks on leaves for hydrations if they need it.

A lot of live plants will help out with the humidity. I personally like to used fogger for increase of humidity, but I only used it at night to give them the humidity spike. Haven't tried it during the day yet. Drinking wise I know that veileds will sometimes snacks on leaves for hydrations if they need it.
Plants are not an option due to treating for Giardia.

@Spookies I added a 60watt incandescent bulb for extra heat. I was able to increase the heat to 80 degrees. He immediately went to his normal basking area. I have retrieved the cool mist humidifier and will use it tomorrow during the daytime
Tonight's temp and humidity are appropriate for Carmelo. Temp-68 Humidity- 75%. Thanks for helping me think this through.

@Spookies I added a 60watt incandescent bulb for extra heat. I was able to increase the heat to 80 degrees. He immediately went to his normal basking area. I have retrieved the cool mist humidifier and will use it tomorrow during the daytime
Tonight's temp and humidity are appropriate for Carmelo. Temp-68 Humidity- 75%. Thanks for helping me think this through.
No problem! Glad I was able to help!

Make sure you are not running any type of fogger/humidifier into the cage during the day. This can cause a respiratory infection.
I would be less concerned about the lower daytime humidity. Make sure with him being on meds for the giardia that you are running a dripper into the cage... Could be as simple as putting ice cubes on top of the screen melting on his plants.

Make sure you are not running any type of fogger/humidifier into the cage during the day. This can cause a respiratory infection.
I would be less concerned about the lower daytime humidity. Make sure with him being on meds for the giardia that you are running a dripper into the cage... Could be as simple as putting ice cubes on top of the screen melting on his plants.
I'm now running a dripper. Thanks- I was about to run a cool mist humidifier during the daytime. I will increase hand spraying.

@Beman He is on a decreased feeder plan (diet). I give him 2 hornworms a week. Would it affect his diet if I give him a total of 4 horns a week? This will help with hydration. Since I've had an issue with humidity, half of his urates are now light orange. They are typically all white.

@Beman He is on a decreased feeder plan (diet). I give him 2 hornworms a week. Would it affect his diet if I give him a total of 4 horns a week? This will help with hydration. Since I've had an issue with humidity, half of his urates are now light orange. They are typically all white.
Why are you only feeding hornworms and only 2 a week? Even on a normal decreased feeding your looking at 2-3 feeders twice a week. To get them to drop weight you want to do it slowly so they do not end up with other issues. Like humans if we just stop eating or barely eat to drop weight our body's take a major hit.

Why are you only feeding hornworms and only 2 a week? Even on a normal decreased feeding your looking at 2-3 feeders twice a week. To get them to drop weight you want to do it slowly so they do not end up with other issues. Like humans if we just stop eating or barely eat to drop weight our body's take a major hit.
Per week, I feed him 4 feeders every other day. 2 of those days I add a hornworm. His staple is large crickets. I add variety by replacing a cricket with superworms or silkworms. Sometimes the silkworms are small so I give him 2 to equal 1. I was just speaking of adding a hornworm at each feeding while he's being treated for Giardia. If I stop feeding Carmelo, he will come out of his enclosure to bite me. He loves to eat. Besides my granddaughter would report me to the authorities for pet abuse.😉

Back
Top Bottom