Need advice for feeding!

ivanho8

Hi all, My female veiled (about 10 months to 1 year old) had hunger stirke before for about 3 weeks. And now she's apetite is completely back! I am now feeding her everyday (except sunday) for about 6 small crickets (about 1/4-1/3 inches) and may be a couple superworms or mealworms. She will eat some mustard greens too. (all dust with calcium without d3 and with d3 twice a month and multi-vitiamin twice a month)

Here is my question. Do you prefer just like what I am doing now or should I change feeding her like 10-12 crickets every other day?

I also have a female veiled and I switched her to every other (sometimes every three) day feedings around that age. You can feed every day if you prefer but just less. The reason for feeding less along with keeping her temps a bit lower (82ish) is to keep her metabolism slowed down to prevent her from laying large infertile clutches or possibly even laying at all. I typically give her aprox 8 crix (or equivalent of in other feeders) every other or third day and it seems to work well for me.

Is she showing steady growth and weight gain? She should be slowing down now and you will need to control her diet a little, keep her slightly hungry and monitor her weight.
Lizards, particularly females are opportunist and she will be only too happy to make use of a bountiful food supply beyond her needs and in turn, will turn this into larger than average clutches which will seriously deplete her reserves of calcium and other minerals, which can lead to serious health issues.

Thanks for your replies. I understand what you are saying but what I am concerning or worrying is that she's just over her hunger strike and she's eating really well now. If I change the pattern I really worry about she'll go on another hunger strike again. Maybe I just worry too much but I was almost got crazy in that period when she's on hunger stirke.:p

Back
Top Bottom