Need Advice: Experts Only, please!

Andie

Avid Member
Experts, please let me know your thoughts on this.

My daughters take a biology class for school, and they're now studying reptiles. They really want me to bring Pixel to class to show him off. However, I'm super worried about this.

If anyone has followed my posts, you'll know that Pixel is exceptionally tame and friendly with everyone. Any visitors to my home, who are willing, have all had him on their arm. I know that he would be fine with being around people. He really would be the ultimate ambassador for the chameleon world. :)

Would it be foolish for me to take him to this class? If I were to take him, what would be the best way to transport him? Also, we live in the North East, where the temps are still iffy. The school is 2 miles from my house, so very close.

I just don't want to stress him out or risk illness.

Thanks!

Experts, please let me know your thoughts on this.

My daughters take a biology class for school, and they're now studying reptiles. They really want me to bring Pixel to class to show him off. However, I'm super worried about this.

If anyone has followed my posts, you'll know that Pixel is exceptionally tame and friendly with everyone. Any visitors to my home, who are willing, have all had him on their arm. I know that he would be fine with being around people. He really would be the ultimate ambassador for the chameleon world. :)

Would it be foolish for me to take him to this class? If I were to take him, what would be the best way to transport him? Also, we live in the North East, where the temps are still iffy. The school is 2 miles from my house, so very close.

I just don't want to stress him out or risk illness.

Thanks!
Hello this will be very controversial best of luck with answers !. I can bring Septiseye literally any place . He In good weather go’s all over , it’s a huge deal when Septiseye is out and about . He has been to school , pet store , feeder store , beach , rides , coffee shop , antique store , vet . He has been everywhere . Now Frances NO WAY . I have a suspicion phoebe will be same as Septiseye :love: .

The most common answer you'll get is the generic "chameleons are solitary and prone to stress, so unnecessary travel/attention are best to be avoided." Which is mostly true, but of course there are exceptions to every rule, so ultimately the decision is yours to make. I personally would not do it, but then again, none of my chameleons have ever been as forthcoming as yours appears to be! ;) If you do decide to go through with it, a box of some sort with a sturdy branch to hold onto should do the trick. You may want some sort of perch (like a fake tree or something) for him to hang out on while there so he doesn't have to be handled the entire time

My wife, boys and I have done quite a few presentations to grade school kids. We have never had any issues. I have a couple of small pop up butterfly screen cages I use for transportation. My chameleons are handled all day every day (and were raised like that sice the day they hatched) so nothing stresses them out!

As Kristen stated, it is a very controversial issue and every chameleon and their level of tolerance is unique! All I can say is for you to follow your heart! You know your chameleon and know what he can handle!

While I don't necessarily think that all chameleons should be taken around, I don't think it would cause any longterm damage even if he didn't like it. Just make sure people are gentle. There are few here that are more hands on with chameleons than most that seem to do fine with it. Though I would say they are a minority, most of the 'experts' treat chameleons(successfully) as hands off. Without starting a whole other world war 3 on these forums, I would only suggest it for the people that are experienced and in tune with their chams.

I think @Matt Vanilla Gorilla and @Kristen Wilkins spend the time learning and working with their chameleons necessary to make them more comfortable with this kind of thing than most. For example, my one cham that I worked so much with from the beginning is great with being held, my Parsons who I got from Craig(who gets his chams out a lot) is also very chill. My other Panthers that I've been more hands off with would probably give theirselves heart attacks if I brought them to a school though lol. They barely tolerate seeing me.

I think @Matt Vanilla Gorilla and @Kristen Wilkins spend the time learning and working with their chameleons necessary to make them more comfortable with this kind of thing than most. For example, my one cham that I worked so much with from the beginning is great with being held, my Parsons who I got from Craig(who gets his chams out a lot) is also very chill. My other Panthers that I've been more hands off with would probably give theirselves heart attacks if I brought them to a school though lol. They barely tolerate seeing me.
I completely agree @jamest0o0 . I would not in a million years bring Frances out . She HATES EVERY THING . She would be terrified . Septiseye came from being handled all the time @Matt Vanilla Gorilla to a house he is free to do what he wants 90% of the time . Same with phoebe . She is one of @jannb babies , I believe she never saw a condo before being with us . If I’m correct she was completely free ranged except for when outside . I want to really be clear one really need to know there chameleon. Not meaning you @Andie . Meaning any new keeper .

Also @jamest0o0 is 100% correct when he says Matt and I spend lots of time with our babies . We know them inside and out .

All of my babies have been socialized. The baby bins and little free range trees were in my living room and kitchen where we spend the most time. We had allot of guest that came to see the babies and a few keepers picked up their babies. I had a petsitter a few times also. My babies went on car rides to the vets and some to my work to meet my coworkers. With special care due to your weather, Wasabi should be fine and so should any of my other babies.

All of my babies have been socialized. The baby bins and little free range trees were in my living room and kitchen where we spend the most time. We had allot of guest that came to see the babies and a few keepers picked up their babies. I had a petsitter a few times also. My babies went on car rides to the vets and some to my work to meet my coworkers. With special care due to your weather, Wasabi should be fine and so should any of my other babies.
Agreed !!. When we are home we leave the condos open . All 3 condo’s are in our living room . We live in a condo where we all get along we have visitors all the time . Not for us but for the scaly babies :love: .

Wish I could take my chameleons out more. My cat would kill them though.
Your babies are so very loved . You have amazing condos for them where they are safe .

My work is a min walk from home . I own the business . If any one of my babies need something Human or scaly my clients already know :love: . We have a understanding (y).

That also allows me to come home when ever so they can have their time . Living in the condo we also have someone around to check on them , let them out along with my parents that live a sec away .

I have taken a couple of my chams to a school for a specific presentation on one day. Nothing terrible happened. If you were planning to do this multiple times, I wouldn't say that's a good idea. One limited presentation with the right "ground rules"? A healthy more tolerant cham isn't going to expire from it. It will be a stressor, but a more social cham can get over it if you plan ahead. You can prepare a transport box just as you would for a vet trip....closed sided box with a perch wedged securely inside. Box the cham up indoors, let the box settle while you warm up your car, etc. A microwaved water bottle to buffer the temp extremes. Plan where you can put the cham in the classroom ahead of time so it is not going to be pestered by students. One thing I like is to point out to students that the cham's color will change as soon as he comes out of the box and reacts to the new surroundings. This will help focus their attention and keep them a little quieter.

Now the ground rules I would discuss with the teacher include things like:

1. This is a special presentation....the students must behave and treat their guest with courtesy and attention.
2. The cham stays on my arm...no petting. I will walk around the room with the cham so everyone gets a chance to see it up close.
3. The students must stay in their seats and not be flapping around making a commotion.
4. I'll be there for a specific amount of time, not all day.

A couple other things I usually ask the teacher are to have students prepare in advance; I may give them some basic info about chams so they can prepare questions, have an idea why the cham could be spooked by too much commotion, and so they show some respect for the presentation....make the most of the teachable moment. I also plan a portion of my talk to cover why buying animals like this at the local pet shop isn't a great idea, why wild capture just for human amusement isn't supportable, and why selecting pet chams from ethical breeders is preferable.

I have taken a couple of my chams to a school for a specific presentation on one day. Nothing terrible happened. If you were planning to do this multiple times, I wouldn't say that's a good idea. One limited presentation with the right "ground rules"? A healthy more tolerant cham isn't going to expire from it. It will be a stressor, but a more social cham can get over it if you plan ahead. You can prepare a transport box just as you would for a vet trip....closed sided box with a perch wedged securely inside. Box the cham up indoors, let the box settle while you warm up your car, etc. A microwaved water bottle to buffer the temp extremes. Plan where you can put the cham in the classroom ahead of time so it is not going to be pestered by students. One thing I like is to point out to students that the cham's color will change as soon as he comes out of the box and reacts to the new surroundings. This will help focus their attention and keep them a little quieter.

Now the ground rules I would discuss with the teacher include things like:

1. This is a special presentation....the students must behave and treat their guest with courtesy and attention.
2. The cham stays on my arm...no petting. I will walk around the room with the cham so everyone gets a chance to see it up close.
3. The students must stay in their seats and not be flapping around making a commotion.
4. I'll be there for a specific amount of time, not all day.

A couple other things I usually ask the teacher are to have students prepare in advance; I may give them some basic info about chams so they can prepare questions, have an idea why the cham could be spooked by too much commotion, and so they show some respect for the presentation....make the most of the teachable moment. I also plan a portion of my talk to cover why buying animals like this at the local pet shop isn't a great idea, why wild capture just for human amusement isn't supportable, and why selecting pet chams from ethical breeders is preferable.
Funny just the other day I was thinking you had not been around lately. Great advice as always @Carlton .

Oh I am, but due to time zones I end up seeing threads and chiming in with comments after most of the rest of you do. I end up listening most of the time. I don't have any chams now because there isn't any vet support here. Also, every single feeder, cage supply, supplement, medication has to be mail ordered days before needed all year round. I did try keeping a cham here once and ended up losing a beautiful juvenile fischeri to a GI infection that might have been treatable (had to fly him to Seattle for the necropsy to find out). I won't put a cham in that precarious situation again. I really really miss them!

Oh I am, but due to time zones I end up seeing threads and chiming in with comments after most of the rest of you do. I end up listening most of the time. I don't have any chams now because there isn't any vet support here. Also, every single feeder, cage supply, supplement, medication has to be mail ordered days before needed all year round. I did try keeping a cham here once and ended up losing a beautiful juvenile fischeri to a GI infection that might have been treatable (had to fly him to Seattle for the necropsy to find out). I won't put a cham in that precarious situation again. I really really miss them!
I actually as well had taken a step back . Check in here and there .

I’m sorry to hear you lost one of these precious little gems . I would not keep chameleons if I did not have everything readily available either .

Awesome advice by @Carlton

One thing that comes to mind... I think presentations like this have a bit of a utilitarian benefit to animals and nature in general. Kind of like seeing tiger Cubs or other wild animals up close. It may not be the most ideal thing for the animal at the moment, but showing kids and even adults these creatures in person gives an appreciation that you won't get from TV. I think it could help those kids to grow up with more respect for the world around them.

Back
Top Bottom