Need advice and update on Pascal

Rapunzel's Pascal

Avid Member
Hi again guys

So I took Pascal for his 4th vet visit since the 29th of July. Per the vet he is better hydrated, but he still has only passed a tiny amount of stool. We gave him his third enema today and he did pass some very firm sperm plugs. However, no more stool has passed since Sunday night. He isn't eating on his own and I haven't personally seen him drink on his own. The vet now has him on 4 medications (cisapride, Metacam, tramadol, and metoclopramide). I also give him oral Pedialyte and water and oral Critical care. His mistking goes off every 2 hours from 10am-8pm. I have increased the length of time it goes off. I also hand mist him, soaks, and do showers from time to time.

Today after he came home from the vet, I gave him his medicine and food. After that he kept his mouth open pretty much the rest of the day. I go extremely slow while giving his meds and oral food/drink. I know open mouth basically means 3 things, but he isn't to hot and he definitely wasn't mad. So could I have caused a problem? I will attach a picture of what he looked like. Lastly, what the heck else can I do for him? My vet says if he doesn't pass this impaction (which I have no clue how he got one in the first place), then he will have to be put down. Surgery isn't an option. She doesn't do it because the survival rate is so low afterwards.

I know this is long and I appreciate whomever reads it. Thanks and if there is anything else I can do please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20170812_134751557.jpg
    IMG_20170812_134751557.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 82
Can anyone give me suggestions please??? Today is the 3rd full day where Pascal is gapping with his mouth open. I did call his vet first thing this am, but she thinks it is from the Tramadal and that he is painful? I don't agree with that, but I don't know what else to think anymore. When I was giving hi. His critical care earlier I swore i heard some gurgling sounds. I didn't later in the day though. Please please guys, any advice is appreciated. He still isn't eating on his own.

Can anyone give me suggestions please??? Today is the 3rd full day where Pascal is gapping with his mouth open. I did call his vet first thing this am, but she thinks it is from the Tramadal and that he is painful? I don't agree with that, but I don't know what else to think anymore. When I was giving hi. His critical care earlier I swore i heard some gurgling sounds. I didn't later in the day though. Please please guys, any advice is appreciated. He still isn't eating on his own.
@Rapunzel's Pascal im sorry your boy is not better . Is there any mucus , stringy , bubbles , coughing ?

Poor guy, I feel so bad for him. I seriously wish I knew how he got so impacted in the first place. He is on no substrate, plants are covered, insects he eats aren't to big...frustrating. His temps are good. His basking spot usually falls around 88. It can get up to about 92 depending on how hot it gets outside. He has a good temperature range in his 4ft by 3ft by 2ft enclosure.

Poor guy, I feel so bad for him. I seriously wish I knew how he got so impacted in the first place. He is on no substrate, plants are covered, insects he eats aren't to big...frustrating. His temps are good. His basking spot usually falls around 88. It can get up to about 92 depending on how hot it gets outside. He has a good temperature range in his 4ft by 3ft by 2ft enclosure.
And you have a misting System correct ? You are doin long mistings ?

Yes, we have a mist king. He gets misting every 2 hours starting at 10 and going till 8am. They go off for 4 minutes. He also gets hand misted, showers, and soaks right now to help.

Okay, I will up the times. Thank you. I have tried the pumpkin. I really really appreciate all the help. He is my first chameleon and I read a ton before I got him (I always do my research first). So I am just devastated that this happened.

Okay, I will up the times. Thank you. I have tried the pumpkin.
I figured so . I was reading a thread last night on another keeper that had issues with pooping . She brought her boy out side he started gaping as well then did a HUGE poop . I hope this is what's happening . I will keep praying I'm sorry I did not have anything better to add :(.

My girl started gapping before she pooped and then a bit after I put here away, which was right after she went. I think it was her trying to regulate her temperature because she was getting to hot, but I also think the added heat sped up her digestion track more and made it so she would poop. Try taking him outside for like half an hour, her and I were out there for like 40 minutes (the longest she's ever been) and this was the first time I saw her gap repeatedly.

Do you have a small tree or bush you can put him on while you have him outside? Perhaps allowing him to explore that, coupled with the warm natural sun, will get things moving. I had to hand feed Echo for a while and I was giving him canned Science Diet I/D from my vet. He gaped too, but as soon as I walked over to his cage, he closed his mouth. It could just be that his mouth is sore from giving his meds. Anyway, ask your vet about the food. (It's made for dogs and cats, but it's so bland and the liquid content is high that my vet said he could have it too.) I firmly believe that is what saved my cham's life. The one side effect was that he got a little bit of diarrhea from it. Perhaps that would be a good thing for your cham. Now a days, Echo is fat, dumb, and happy.

Hey guys, sorry I had to work my long day today and I just got home an hour ago.

Once home I asked my husband how he was doing. He said he hasn't noticed him open mouth at all today, but he wasn't up in our room today. I checked on him once I got in and he was already in his sleep spot. He seemed to look ok. There was no poop though and he didn't eat his crickets today.

I have tried taking him outside on a tree, but I definitely agree I need to do it more. I am working on that. I plan on getting him an outside enclosure, so he can be in that for a while on nice days.

As for the I/d my dog is actually on that, but my vet says the critical care is all he needs to be force fed. So we will stick with that.

I will be home earlier tomorrow, so I will be able to notice if he is open mouth at all. I also will tell my husband to really watch for that. I am going to try another shower tomorrow as well. Thank you all who responded. I truly truly appreciate it. Will keep you all posted!

Back
Top Bottom