Need a vets opinion.

Hugh Wahl

I have a sick chameleon. He has worms..... WTF. I just got back from the vet and he gave me panacur? Some whitish liquid. The vet told me to give for the first three days then on the tenth day give for three more days, then on the 21st day give for three more days. I always check the vets opinion on here. Im from Delaware and our vets are suspect. I really like this guy so i hope gave me good info. What do you guys think does this sound right.

The reason for doing several rounds is that Fenbendazole (Panacur, Safegard, whatever else) only kills worms, not their eggs that are in the chameleon's system. Waiting 10-14 days allows most of the eggs to hatch but the baby worms are killed by the next round before becoming reproductive.

The reason for doing several rounds is that Fenbendazole (Panacur, Safegard, whatever else) only kills worms, not their eggs that are in the chameleon's system. Waiting 10-14 days allows most of the eggs to hatch but the baby worms are killed by the next round before becoming reproductive.

Yep, sounds right, for the reasons Kent said. It's what is done for dogs and cats as well.

Thanks guys I appreciate the advise. I had a vet almost kill a chameleon in the past. So I try to run the info by people on here just to be safe. :)

Is this a fresh wc your treating? If so I wait a few weeks before I treat anything freshly imported. I also dont overfeed them either. Just make sure they have lots and lots of water. The reasoning behind waiting a few weeks is you want the animals system to stabilize and hopefully allow their system to get the parasites under control so that when you do worm them their body isnt bombarded by dead parasites it has to expel.

Frankly I'd try reptaid for a round or two first and see if it works for you and your cham. Its an all natural product. It helps boost a chams gut flora with all natural products. Much easier on the animal than harsh drugs. If it doesnt work you can always use the dewormer. Look at chams northwests site they give a detailed disc what the stuff does and what is in it.

Back
Top Bottom