Need a little help!

onlyifican

Hello everyone, I am new to owning a Chameleon, I have had many lizards but wanted to try something new. However I bought her ( Astrid) from PetSmart, didn't realize she already had a problem hints they don't show them until its really Bad! Astrid started to act really funny, I have had her for a little less then four months, did a little research on here, realizing she could have M.B.D I made a vet appointment. Found out she does have M.B.D and she needs to stay for two days to help her, she got the work up and X-rays that show she has eggs and has a few fractures from falling. OK so I was told her bones will heel in time with meds most likely it will take around a year to get her bones all good and to reviers M.B.D. SOOOO I was fine with doing that until the vet told me about her egg issue, since she already has bone/ calcium issues she most likely will not lay her eggs, which leads to egg bound and she will die. Now the the vet also told me she needs to be spay because off the M.B.D she will always have this issue with calcium, BUT the survival rate for a small pet getting surgery is very slime.

Sooooo my big questions is should I let Astrid live out the rest of her life without a fatal surgery or should I get her spay where she could not make it out? I feel really bad and am stuck between a rock and a hard spot. :(
Please give me some thought on what y'all would do!

Reactions: jpf
She's not egg bound yet. This surgery would be to remove her eggs and spay so she can't have eggs anymore because her body cannot handle laying eggs since she has M.B.D
OK, but if she becomes eggbound because she physically can't lay the eggs, I recommend surgery to help her.

Is that the chameleon in your avatar? If so, She does not look like she has MBD in that picture. Have you been using a UVB light??

You said you have a UVB light but do you dust the insects with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at almost every feeding? Dust with phosphorous-free calcium/D3 twice a month and a vitamin powder twice a month? Do you feed/gutload your insects?

I need to see photos if her but if the MBD isn't bad she should be able to recover and may still be able to lay her eggs. Imho it's not true that once they have MBD they will always have the issue.

Whats being done at the vets? What's being done to correct the MBD once she's home?

If you don't show us a photo or two we can't tell you if she does have MBD. Can you post the last photo you took of her?

Last edited:
You said you have a UVB light but do you dust the insects with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at almost every feeding? Dust with phosphorous-free calcium/D3 twice a month and a vitamin powder twice a month? Do you feed/gutload your insects?

I need to see photos if her but if the MBD isn't bad she should be able to recover and may still be able to lay her eggs. Imho it's not true that once they have MBD they will always have the issue.
I do dust, I failed to do so since I thought I was giving her enough, guess I was wrong. I'm going to bring her home and pump her with everything the vet gives me and see if she can ride it out, she's very high strung and seems to not want to give up. Forgive me for my lack of info and knowledge. I did most of everything right just didn't think about dusting everyday.

Whats being done at the vets? What's being done to correct the MBD once she's home?

If you don't show us a photo or two we can't tell you if she does have MBD.can you post the last photo you took of her?
I don't have her she's at the vets getting pumped with the vitemains she needs/lacks she had X-rays done that shows fractures and old healed fractures which also shows M.B.D. I didn't need someone to tell me she had .M.B.D. Just needed some help in what I should do. I will post pictures as soon as I get her home. As for home care I will be go over that with the vet when I pick her up. I'll keep you updated on that.

You said..."I do dust, I failed to do so since I thought I was giving her enough, guess I was wrong. I'm going to bring her home and pump her with everything the vet gives me and see if she can ride it out, she's very high strung and seems to not want to give up. Forgive me for my lack of info and knowledge. I did most of everything right just didn't think about dusting everyday"...don't pump her with everything..do what the vet says. Also if you have to put liquid calcium etc in her mouth be very careful...do it slowly somshe has time to swallow and not get it into her lungs.

You said..."I do dust, I failed to do so since I thought I was giving her enough, guess I was wrong. I'm going to bring her home and pump her with everything the vet gives me and see if she can ride it out, she's very high strung and seems to not want to give up. Forgive me for my lack of info and knowledge. I did most of everything right just didn't think about dusting everyday"...don't pump her with everything..do what the vet says. Also if you have to put liquid calcium etc in her mouth be very careful...do it slowly somshe has time to swallow and not get it into her lungs.
Right!! I do know that, it was a enthusiastic I got this or we got this . I hope she can fight through this and we can beat the odds. Thanks for the help. I'll post more tomorrow on her as soon as I get her home.

You still didn't answer these questions I asked...

If you don't show us a photo or two we can't tell you if she does have MBD. Can you post the last photo you took of her?

Hello everyone, I am new to owning a Chameleon, I have had many lizards but wanted to try something new. However I bought her ( Astrid) from PetSmart, didn't realize she already had a problem hints they don't show them until its really Bad! Astrid started to act really funny, I have had her for a little less then four months, did a little research on here, realizing she could have M.B.D I made a vet appointment. Found out she does have M.B.D and she needs to stay for two days to help her, she got the work up and X-rays that show she has eggs and has a few fractures from falling. OK so I was told her bones will heel in time with meds most likely it will take around a year to get her bones all good and to reviers M.B.D. SOOOO I was fine with doing that until the vet told me about her egg issue, since she already has bone/ calcium issues she most likely will not lay her eggs, which leads to egg bound and she will die. Now the the vet also told me she needs to be spay because off the M.B.D she will always have this issue with calcium, BUT the survival rate for a small pet getting surgery is very slime.

Sooooo my big questions is should I let Astrid live out the rest of her life without a fatal surgery or should I get her spay where she could not make it out? I feel really bad and am stuck between a rock and a hard spot. :(
Please give me some thought on what y'all would do!
Having Fatal surgery on a small animal is hard. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom