neck piece?

Gular edema, most likely. You should react to it quickly. It has to do with either over-supplementing or under-supplementing (can be either) and I think more often than not it's in response to Vitamin A.

Some things you'll need to research is "Gular Edema" "edema" "gout" "Vitamin A in Chameleons" "Beta Carotene in Chameleon supplements". After doing some quick but thorough research, speak with your vet so you can devise a treatment plan and alter your supplementing schedules after the problem is corrected.

I can't find my bookmarks on this subject, but I hope some of the other users can post some links for me...

Is it when he puffs up or when you're approaching?
Is it constant or occassional?
Yeah send a pic. I bet it's just normal male posturing.

-Brad

Ah, Jewel, I had mistaken you for another user, which is why my response was so quick and brief. Now seeing as you are not the person I thought I was replying to, posting photos as was suggested before, would be best.

You can use the "attachment feature" in the 'advanced reply' page to upload photos from your computer. Alternatively you can use websites like www.imageshack.us to host them and then post them here.

It's gone again so I can't post pictures. It has happened twice, both times I was walking towards the cage when I noticed it, he also opened his mouth a little during this. It only lated for about 30 seconds then it was gone. It does sound like a act of agression. I will try to get a picture of it next time it happens. So much to learn.

Ahh, this is normal this is puffing up as defensive mechanism. They puff up to make them selfs look bigger to scare you away.
They also do that when basking.

There is always something more to learn.

What you are describing is completely normal. Though they will show their throat for many reasons which you will discover during your whole chameleon keeping experience.

Shown in the photo below is a chameleon in a common "defensive posture". Gular skin is extended, rear feet and tail forming a tripod stance, and the front feet are raised poised to react.

yamanu7kt9.jpg

hey Will i was told that you have some panther chameleon eggs and was wondering if they have hatched or not, i have some baby veilds i hatched a month and a half ago that im going to be geting rid of in the next week and was looking for a panther to add to my collection and your pimpin male looks awsome he looks like hes got a bit of tamatave in his face but if the eggs havent hatched ill definalty wait and ill ttyl will

Thanks Will for the picture and description, that is what he is doing exactly. Your chameleon is so vibrant looking Will. I just noticed you live in Burlington, I don't live that far from you. Maybe you could email me with a good place to buy lizards in our area because my son and me are so hooked on them already.

Jewel,

It sounds like your guy is starting to settle in and do the things he's supposed to do!
Can't wait to see pictures of the new enclosure your son builds for him.
Just one thing to think about:
Screws and staples can be attractive to chameleons and he could injure his toungue. Make sure whatever you build is Chameleon safe.
I know that it sounds like common sense, and I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but I am often surprised by what Kitty is interested in, that I never would have considered a problem.
Glad you're hooked!!!

-Brad

Thanks for the great suggestion Brad. My son is only 17 and this is so new to both of us so we appreciate all the help we can get.
His colour is still not the best at times but he seams to be adjusting quite well.

LOL....they can strike amazingly fast too :D I put a branch in one time for my panther to step up on so I could get him out. He was absolutely pissed, puffed up and struck the end of that branch like a shot of lightning. It happened so fast it shocked me! :D

I've seen a video of one striking and frankly, if really scared me to see how fast and mean they can be. I just hope I never get bit.

Thanks everyone. The male pictured is from the Maronsetra locality. Which is located on an coastal inlet, south of Andapa/Sambava and north of Tamatave and Nosy Boraha.

hey Will i was told that you have some panther chameleon eggs and was wondering if they have hatched or not, i have some baby veilds i hatched a month and a half ago that im going to be geting rid of in the next week and was looking for a panther to add to my collection and your pimpin male looks awsome he looks like hes got a bit of tamatave in his face but if the eggs havent hatched ill definalty wait and ill ttyl will
Boothy, keep your veileds for a while longer. Charge slightly more, but trust me, your buyers will appreciate it because as soon as they post online saying they bought a 1.5 month old Veiled they will be told that it would have been better to wait until 3 months. Not to mention at that age you may still have random die-offs for reasons unknown and you don't want that on your conscience.
Contact me privately, as this is not the place to do business. contact @ chameleons . ca

Thanks Will for the picture and description, that is what he is doing exactly. Your chameleon is so vibrant looking Will. I just noticed you live in Burlington, I don't live that far from you. Maybe you could email me with a good place to buy lizards in our area because my son and me are so hooked on them already.
Jewel, thanks for the kind words. Your best bet would be to make a trip out to the Ontario Reptile Expo and take a look at the few hundred tables set up with reptile vendors, (you'll find me at one of them hopefully).

Back
Top Bottom