Nasolacrimal duct obstruction

Do you have snakes? These could be snake mites or they may be plant mites. Snake mites are known to transmit infection and can be a challenge to get rid of. Soaking the animal in water will drown the mites.

Do you have snakes? These could be snake mites or they may be plant mites. Snake mites are known to transmit infection and can be a challenge to get rid of. Soaking the animal in water will drown the mites.

It is this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermanyssus_gallinae

So I coated the gash with neosporin to prevent anything from getting into it. I will take him to have the fluid inspected under a microscope today. The eye is bigger than it was in the last picture. Is there a good way to reduce the size of the eye other than waiting for the antibiotics? Are the topical steroids ferret mentioned hard on the liver?

No...those only live on birds. I'm not really sure what to think of your last few posts. As Joe said, bugs don't live in the turret like that. Even mites need to breathe so it wouldn't make sense for them to be in an enclosed space filled with fluid. Not alive anyway. Do you have snakes or other reptiles? Mites present in the cage could be attracted to fluid perhaps but it doesn't make sense that they are the cause of it. And fluid rarely comes out green. A vet needs to look at it in person to try to figure out what is going on.

UPDATE:
full

No...those only live on birds. I'm not really sure what to think of your last few posts. As Joe said, bugs don't live in the turret like that. Even mites need to breathe so it wouldn't make sense for them to be in an enclosed space filled with fluid. Not alive anyway. Do you have snakes or other reptiles? Mites present in the cage could be attracted to fluid perhaps but it doesn't make sense that they are the cause of it.

When I looked in the 30x geology microscope yesterday I saw exactaly the same creature that was in the wikipedia article, except there was like 30 of them, they are the size of the tip of a pin. I first assumed they were living inside because they were swarmed around the wound going in and out. Once I cleaned the wound with iodine and coated it in neosporin, they seemed to have left him alone. I found 10 dead ones on the rest of his body this morning.

I found mites in with the crickets this morning too, perhaps they came in on the feeders that we purchased, it wouldn't be the first time we have had hitchhikers on store bought bugs, we found strange moths that webbed/coalesced/solidified our superworm substrait so that moisture could not pass through grain the next thing you know it became a high temp pile of dead bugs and mold in a little over a week.

Right now I have him next to me, quarantined in a sterilized 1 gallon plastic icecream tub (with lots of air holes). He is not showing any signs of stress when I peak in on him. I tried to machine wash his giant soft cage but I am not sure about the mite eggs, so I want to hold off until his incision scabs over.

And fluid rarely comes out green. A vet needs to look at it in person to try to figure out what is going on.
We are taking him to a vet today to have an analysis done on the fluid.
Have any of you ever seen swelling like this get better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Took him to a new vet today (just moved here)

Bright green fluid came out of the eyelid area again, but it sprayed onto the floor and the syringe was not able to collect any of it for analysis! After the green fluid, a lot of dark red blood came out followed by some bright red blood.

Vet said it looked like the incision healed on the outside of the eye and then kept bleeding on the inside and that is what caused his eye to swell so much. The vet gave him medicam (1 drop per day for 5 days) to help with pain and swelling. We are going to use the Bayril for (1 drop for 5 days) hoping it works, while they ship over the Fortaz.

Bright green fluid is still a mystery to everybody.

UPDATE:
Swelling in eye reduced, but he is really weak. He took his third dosage of Medicam, and 4th dosage of bayril last night. He started gagging so I tipped him so that his mouth was pointing to the ground and he threw up all his meals from the last 4 days, all fully undigested. I am concerned that the antibiotic may have ruined his digestive abilities.

What should I do?!

UPDATE:

I wish I had better news for you all but he didn't survive.

He threw up all the water and electrolytes. He was not able to keep anything down. The last fluids that he started to throw up were the same color as the bright green fluid in his infected eye. He was on three sessions of baytril in the last few month's so that probably did a number on him.

I wish I had found out about this other vet sooner, because the fortaz just came in today :-(

I am sooooo sorry to hear about your little man :(
You tried your best to help him and he was lucky to have such a caring owner.
Natalie

So sorry to hear that your chameleon didn't make it. Have you thought about having a necropsy done to find out what was wrong with him?

So sorry to hear that your chameleon didn't make it. Have you thought about having a necropsy done to find out what was wrong with him?

I really wanted to but they are too expensive, my wife and I both lost our jobs so this all hit us at a really bad time.

Back
Top Bottom