Napping/Shedding

Creampuff

Are baby chameleons supposed to take naps, especially after eating? I've caught him sleeping during the mid afternoon time but if I made a noise close to the cage or maybe moved the branch a bit he would immediately wake up. Is that ok? Maybe he's bored? Also, what's the approximate age for a baby chameleon to have its first shed?

No, chameleons are dinurnal and do not sleep during the day normally. This is a sign that something is not right in the cage. The first thing that comes to mind is temperature.

What size (snout to vent) and species is your chameleon?
What is the ambient temperature (and basking if you have one)?

What kind of feeders, what size are they and how often is your chameleon eating?
What supplements, amounts and how often is he recieving them?
Does your chameleon have access to a light that produces UVb?

What size (snout to vent) and species is your chameleon?
Jackson's chameleon about an inch and a half. He's only a month and a half.

What is the ambient temperature (and basking if you have one)?
Its always around 70. It dips to the lower 60s at night and I use a nightlight at night. The thermometer is near the basking bulb.

What kind of feeders, what size are they and how often is your chameleon eating?
He eats fruitflies both melanogaster/hydei and recently I've been feeding him mealworms and crickets (both very small). He eats everyday, alot for a little guy. Yesterday while I was feeding him he had about 8 of those hydei's and 4 mealworms and 1 small cricket. He could have eaten more when I was out. I usually make sure he eats something while at home and I see if he drinks when I mist the tank.

What supplements, amounts and how often is he recieving them?
No supplements at the moment because I heard babies can get an impacted stomach with dusting the feeders but I do have this multivitamins dust from wardley.

Does your chameleon have access to a light that produces UVb?
I actually got the whole lighting from a friend who guarantees me that the basking bulb and the UVb light works. If that might be the case I will buy a new one. It's a Repti-glo 8.0 UVB 20W. He's basking right now and seems alert and awake.

I would get the thermometer close to the basking area and measure. I have a jackson that is slightly bigger then yours and his basking area is in the 84-86*F range. Alot of chameleons can do with out a basking area tell they get older but it sounds like your room is on the colder side so I would offer it like I do. The room mine is in is chilli too. This will just give him a place to warm up so he can move about the cage without losing heat as much.

I have offered mine supplements since I got him. I dust with calcium. Once a week with calcium and D3/no phosphorus. I do his multivitamin once a month but the gut loading varies with me so I do not think it is as important in my case. Some with more montane experience may be better to advice you in supplementing, especially that small as I would not really know what is right or wrong there.

I would try messing with the basking bulb. I think it will help out with the sleeping.

Babies can shed anytime, no certain age or limitation as for how much or often.

yes something is wrong. you need to take him to the vet. this happened to me and i waited to long and it was to late by the time i took him

Is it okay to bring him out into the freezing cold? I live in New York city and the windchill is crazy atm. The vet is kinda far, he's an exotic pet doctor and its around 2nd ave while I live on 10th. I dont have a car so how would you recommend transporting him? (With heat packs?)

The bulb is a 60W. So how much wattage should I put? ( Btw The thermometer is next to the bulb)

Back
Top Bottom