Nano Vivarium as grow out for young brevicaudatus

BoydR

The idea here was to create a 3 gallon grow-out vivarium for hatchling pygmy chameleons. I was mostly just looking to do something for my desk that was small, beautiful, and somewhat exciting.

It has computer fan air circulation and screen vents for the lid, but I'm actually considering making a screen top for it. Right now the humidity stays about 70% (when the fan is going) and the day time temperature is 73 degrees on the bottom with a basking limb at about 80 degrees. Night time temperatures hit about 68 degrees. The substrate is seeded with a heavy population of springtails and fruit flies can easily be added as needed. I'm usually pretty cautious about providing such little space, but for baby pygmies it seemed like it was the best way to provide plenty of hunting opportunities while allowing the ability to closely monitor their health. What do you guys think? Is the small size ok for such small little chameleons as a grow-out tank? humidity levels and temperatures seem ok? Any feedback would be great. I did add leaf litter (tiny magnolia leaves) and twigs to the substrate after the pics were taken.

It was a fun build regardless... I'm good to keep it empty but if it would work as a grow-out tank that'd be even better.

Boyd

Sweet lil viv. Pygmies don't need basking area really. Keep it in the the mid 70s and you'll be good to go. Definitely don't want it to reach 80 specially with baby pygmies cause they're more fragile. Night temp of 68 is about perfect:)

I'll have to add in some light ventilation to prevent it from warming up the tank... or find a smaller LED. Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I was looking for. The only place it reached 80 was right under the light on the one limb... think they'll self regulate and just stay off that limb?

thanks again,

Boyd

Chams aren't always known for self regulating. That's how they get burns.

Its like sunburn for us, we don't know its too hot for us until its too late.

thats good to know... I'll make sure it gets cooled down for sure. I think I'm going to hang the light above the vivarium to let air flow under it. That should allow the tank to stay at room temperature. LEDs produce very little heat and typically don't raise the vivarium temps more than a few degrees. I think this one, being so small and having the light right on it, is just heating up more than normal so lifting the light a few inches should actually fix the problem. I'll keep monitoring the temp in there just in case as well.

thanks!

I might add more ventilation like you were thinking about doing, but it seems like it would be great for a few baby brevs. Adults need a minimum of 5 gallons per pyg (though 10 would be better) so 3 should be fine. It looks great too!!

Back
Top Bottom