Nail

So my veils chameleon is 10 months and lives in a large open air enclosure
15180485434441988922034.jpg
with plenty of sticks to climb on
15180486292571436815417.jpg
while I was holding her today i saw one of her rear nails is gone
0207181744c.jpg
0207181742e.jpg
she still has REALLY good grip and it doesnt seem to bother her at all....i see some ppl say its from where there nail gets caught in the screen..I just wonder if it will grow back ??? 0207181742e.jpg
any help/advice will help

Its doesnt look infected and she doesn't have any bubbles in her mouth ..do u think I should take her n to the vet now??

Wait, did I miss something, I'm not sure where bubbles in her mouth comes into this. As far as I know there would not be any correlation with toenails. I don't see any visible signs to warrant a vet visit.
She appears to be of age where it is advisable to have a laying bin ready.

Wait, did I miss something, I'm not sure where bubbles in her mouth comes into this. As far as I know there would not be any correlation with toenails. I don't see any visible signs to warrant a vet visit.
She appears to be of age where it is advisable to have a laying bin ready.
Sorry ive just hear if they have any kinda infection bubbles appear in their mouth

Shes has one
1518049957292301387045.jpg
does that look sufficient ???

Bubbles in the mouth area are generally associated with respiratory infections. As for the laying bin, most will suggest at least 12 inches deep and just moist enough to hold the shape of a tunnel.

Thank u that was really helpful.... Shes been going to the bottom but just on the sticks never on the soil....I need to get her a new laying bin asap
0207181843.jpg
I have this but its a money tree Idk if its toxic...I just keep it near for humidity reasons

A small plastic trash can works well for a lay bin. One deep enough so that there is extra space above the substrate (clean play sand works great) because she will throw substrate everywhere when she digs. Make sure she has a branch to go in and out of bin.

I have not seen any cases of nails growing back. Just be sure to monitor for infection.

@Decadancin , I've seen lots of nails grow back. It all depends on why the nail is lost and how much of the nail bed--where the nail grows from--is damaged or gone. Nails can be gone because they are worn or broken off below the skin. Even infected nail beds can grow the nails back. Nails that are damaged do take a long time to grow, but if the root problem for why the nail is gone is removed (often from climbing on screen cages), the nail will grow back. I think the reason you don't see nails growing back is that the keeper doesn't fix the original reason the nail was broken/worn down to begin with. They keep growing and they keep getting ripped/worn off on the screen and the keeper believes the nail isn't growing back when in fact it is.

Here is a couple of pictures of a gracilior female. First picture is from the end of January 2016. Second picture is just the other day, so two years later.

@Billie the Camillie-n, keep an eye on that nail. Sometimes they develop an infection. I've had lots of wild caughts with mangled feet that went on to develop an infection in the nail bed, sometimes over a year after the original injury. If your husbandry is good, the chameleon usually walls off the infection. I've lanced them myself and drained them and they've healed up just fine with no fuss.

20160130_171402.jpg

20180407_163444.jpg

So my veils chameleon is 10 months and lives in a large open air enclosure View attachment 199733 with plenty of sticks to climb onView attachment 199734while I was holding her today i saw one of her rear nails is goneView attachment 199735 View attachment 199736she still has REALLY good grip and it doesnt seem to bother her at all....i see some ppl say its from where there nail gets caught in the screen..I just wonder if it will grow back ???View attachment 199736
My boy is missing two and he lost them over a yr ago. He’s fine but they aren’t gonna grow back

So my veils chameleon is 10 months and lives in a large open air enclosure View attachment 199733 with plenty of sticks to climb onView attachment 199734while I was holding her today i saw one of her rear nails is goneView attachment 199735 View attachment 199736she still has REALLY good grip and it doesnt seem to bother her at all....i see some ppl say its from where there nail gets caught in the screen..I just wonder if it will grow back ???View attachment 199736
I dont know if its available to you but you can use vetarks tamodine. Its an iodine based antiseptic for small pets with wounds.

Back
Top Bottom