Nail problem

skoolboi

Hey guys,
this is my first post, and sorry if this in the wrong place.
My chameleon suzie, just now one of her nails has semi broken off(as in it is stiil on her foot) it is bleeding a small bit and is twisting around as if it is ready to snap off. She is still walking around and doesn't seem to be in pain. Can you guys please give me advice on what I should do.
Thanks

Chameleons tend to pull their nails like that when walking on the screen of their enclosures and often even loose a toe. If it were me I would take nail clippers and gently clip it off. Just watch it to make sure it does not get infected.

thanks 4 help, I thought it might have been a serious issue. She was walking in the grass outside my house and one minuate it was ok and then when i looked again I saw the blood and relised what had happened, Do they normaly grow back?

It depends on where it was broken off. If it was just the nail, yes, but if it was up at the toe probably not. It is like declawing a cat basically, the nail doesn't grow back when you cut it at the 1st joint.

Thanks for the advice, the nail is broken right at the toe. As I said I thought it might have been a very serious issue but thanks for the reasurance though:)

To avoid infection, you may want to get some Silvadene Ointment from your local vet and apply that once a day until it heals. Keep the cage super clean too.

Back
Top Bottom