Mystery Issue

Hello, I am new to the chameleonforums. I have questions about my panther as I cannot really figure what is going on with him and I plan to take him to a reptile vet but I just want to understand what is going on with the fella before I take him. First, a little background information about him... I had him since he was 3 months old and he is currently around 2 years old. I am loyal with the daily care routine... supplements, misting, feeding, and more. He currently lives in 6'x18"x3' screen enclosure filled with live plants. The panther is usually fairly active and bright blue but lately, he has been turning a little pale and naps few times during the day but not for a long periods of time however, his appetite is still voracious as usual which has me very puzzled. He hardly turns down a meal and he easily downed around 20-30 crickets yesterday and today. He still moves around but appears to be somewhat sluggish compared to before. He usually shoots up my arm whenever I open his enclosure to ride on my shoulders but he lost interest in leaving the enclosure. At first I thought that he might be going into a shed but I was concerned about the closed eyes which is never a good sign with chameleons. Also, there was one mistake I had made three weeks ago... I accidentally swapped his tropical uvb with a desert one but I switched back as soon as I had realized my mistake a couple of weeks later. Did the desert uvb hurt him? Have you seen a chameleon that acted different but still eats like well? Is there something else that I might have done wrong? Please advise and thank you.

Hello, I am new to the chameleonforums. I have questions about my panther as I cannot really figure what is going on with him and I plan to take him to a reptile vet but I just want to understand what is going on with the fella before I take him. First, a little background information about him... I had him since he was 3 months old and he is currently around 2 years old. I am loyal with the daily care routine... supplements, misting, feeding, and more. He currently lives in 6'x18"x3' screen enclosure filled with live plants. The panther is usually fairly active and bright blue but lately, he has been turning a little pale and naps few times during the day but not for a long periods of time however, his appetite is still voracious as usual which has me very puzzled. He hardly turns down a meal and he easily downed around 20-30 crickets yesterday and today. He still moves around but appears to be somewhat sluggish compared to before. He usually shoots up my arm whenever I open his enclosure to ride on my shoulders but he lost interest in leaving the enclosure. At first I thought that he might be going into a shed but I was concerned about the closed eyes which is never a good sign with chameleons. Also, there was one mistake I had made three weeks ago... I accidentally swapped his tropical uvb with a desert one but I switched back as soon as I had realized my mistake a couple of weeks later. Did the desert uvb hurt him? Have you seen a chameleon that acted different but still eats like well? Is there something else that I might have done wrong? Please advise and thank you.
Is the uvb your old one or a new bulb? T5 uvb last 9 months for most brands with a few lasting 12 months.
The 12% can be used but raised above ideally tested with solarmeter to achieve target uvi

You say you are supplementing but what is your supplements that you use and frequency?

At two years of age your chameleon shoud be fed 3 to 4 days a week or every other day (could be a cause of over supplementing if dusting all feeders) its possible to overdose calcium which can cause sluggish behaviour

Im also presuming your enclosure is 6ft by 1.5 ft by 3 ft correct?

Have you had a fecal float done to rule out parasites

Is the uvb your old one or a new bulb? T5 uvb last 9 months for most brands with a few lasting 12 months.
The 12% can be used but raised above ideally tested with solarmeter to achieve target uvi

You say you are supplementing but what is your supplements that you use and frequency?

At two years of age your chameleon shoud be fed 3 to 4 days a week or every other day (could be a cause of over supplementing if dusting all feeders) its possible to overdose calcium which can cause sluggish behaviour

Im also presuming your enclosure is 6ft by 1.5 ft by 3 ft correct?

Have you had a fecal float done to rule out parasite

New uvb as replacement was due. He does usually feed every 3-4 days, sorry for not being clear on that part. His vitamin intake hasn't changed for a long time. He gets Calcium without D3 at every feed, Calcium with D3 every other week, Multivitamins every other week. He was born in captivity and was raised in a sterile environment and always is fed with farmed insects so parasites are very unlikely. Yes the enclosure is 6' long (two large screened enclosures combined). I use T8 tropical zilla uvb.

New uvb as replacement was due. He does usually feed every 3-4 days, sorry for not being clear on that part. His vitamin intake hasn't changed for a long time. He gets Calcium without D3 at every feed, Calcium with D3 every other week, Multivitamins every other week. He was born in captivity and was raised in a sterile environment and always is fed with farmed insects so parasites are very unlikely. Yes the enclosure is 6' long (two large screened enclosures combined).
Because he is eating 30 crickets do you dust all of of them?
Multi vitamin contain vitamin A?
Farmed feeders can still contain parasites they aren't raised in sterile conditions and concentrated populations are kept in small keeps to keep thing economic

Because he is eating 30 crickets do you dust all of of them?
Multi vitamin contain vitamin A?
Farmed feeders can still contain parasites they aren't raised in sterile conditions and concentrated populations are kept in small keeps to keep thing economic
I dust each cricket and I gave him some vitamin A yesterday in hopes to boost him up. How often should I give it to him? I also posted a updated post with more details as suggested.

Back
Top Bottom