Mysterious bumps

JZarno13

Hello,
My name is Jacob Zarnosky and I have a veiled chameleon that is about a year and half old named Lord Reginald. Recently I have noticed two bumps that are located above his nostrils and below his casque.
I’ve been doing some research, but I wanted to know if anyone had any solid information to provide for me for this situation. Attached is a poor picture, but you can see the bumps I am referring to.
Any help would be amazing. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1A32DB40-2717-4F89-A194-B6882C9127A6.png
    1A32DB40-2717-4F89-A194-B6882C9127A6.png
    732.9 KB · Views: 50
Is he a pied or is he shedding? If where I circled are the two bumps, you’ll most likely need a visit with a good veterinarian. I believe that would be his sinuses and having swelling there is a serious problem...could be infection or a growth. Clearer pics would help, but probably would still advise a vet visit.
14AAE27D-16CB-4B04-8576-BECB01571259.jpeg

I have attached two better photos of the bumps below his casque

Attachments

• 3B9EEF5C-3CFB-48D7-B2FC-B3DFE6D95366.jpeg
    3B9EEF5C-3CFB-48D7-B2FC-B3DFE6D95366.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 0CE40932-1BDE-41AC-95C5-19DDBE89C0F1.jpeg
    0CE40932-1BDE-41AC-95C5-19DDBE89C0F1.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 40
The vet believes it is a sterile infection. He is giving me antibiotics to give orally and has instructed to do warm compresses on the affected area.

The vet believes it is a sterile infection. He is giving me antibiotics to give orally and has instructed to do warm compresses on the affected area.
I dunno about the warm compresses... He is not going to like that and I have never heard of that being recommended. Did they aspirate the area to see what came out?
You know to aim to the back of the mouth with the antibiotics right? Their airway is in the front and you need to avoid that. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

I dunno about the warm compresses... He is not going to like that and I have never heard of that being recommended. Did they aspirate the area to see what came out?
You know to aim to the back of the mouth with the antibiotics right? Their airway is in the front and you need to avoid that. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html
Yes I was instructed to go towards the back of the throat. His recommendations were to just try it for the next two weeks until he sees them again in two weeks. I was also unsure about the compression, but I hope I can see some sort of result.

Yes I was instructed to go towards the back of the throat. His recommendations were to just try it for the next two weeks until he sees them again in two weeks. I was also unsure about the compression, but I hope I can see some sort of result.
Just be really careful about the temperature. What feels warm to us can feel hot to them because they are cold blooded.

I’m surprised they didnt lance it if they think its infection. Keep us updated over the next two weeks to see if the size reduces. I agree that a compress will be challenging and probably more stressful than anything.

Keep him really well hydrated while on the antibiotics. Longer mistings than usual. I am a fan of quality over quantity - a good 10 minute mist beats 3 x 3 minute mistings any day. Bump your morning and evening mistings up as much as your drainage can handle.

I have a ficus alii tree that I put in my shower when I need to give longer mist sessions in the winter. I don’t use the showerhead because mine is too small for me to be able to bounce it off the wall for a more gentle misting… So instead I use a hand sprayer and gently point the wand upwards so that the water falls down like rain and without pressure. Don’t be surprised if they don’t drink for the first five minutes but I stand there as long as I can, usually at least 15 minutes every night for my oldest.

Does anyone know a good method to give my chameleon some antibiotics? I gave him his dose for today, but only after a lot of hissing and attempted bites. I was just wondering if there were any ways to give him his dosage without him getting mad at me as much?

Does anyone know a good method to give my chameleon some antibiotics? I gave him his dose for today, but only after a lot of hissing and attempted bites. I was just wondering if there were any ways to give him his dosage without him getting mad at me as much?

I have good success with baiting them with a silk worm or bug… And when they stick their tongue out to aim, I slowly drip onto their tongue. You need to be exact though with this medication, so you really don’t want to take any chances with missing. Maybe try that technique out with some water first and see if you can reliably do it every time.

I’ve gotten all my guys familiar with the syringe, which makes meds so much easier… but I do miss now and then!

They all behave differently with the syringe. Some don’t care at all, some spot it in my hand and know exactly what Im up to (but they’ll take the silkworm bait eventually), and some seem to eagerly drink from it.

Layla here is super slow poke… takes her a moment to get moving, especially in winter. She will eagerly reach for the dripper 10 out of 10 times if I offer it while the misters are going off. She’s sort of figured it out. I sometimes give her water with it just to keep her familiar, should we need meds.

Back
Top Bottom