Myself and Mrs. Jackson say hello!

Repticrazy

Once again hello everyone! My name is Scott. I am new to keeping Chameleons and recently got a female Jacksons Chameleon, her name is Mrs. Jackson. I also have a Mederteranian House Gecko named Gecki. I'm hoping to continue learning from all of you as well as share pictures with everyone. I've done a lot of research and hoping to fine-tune her living space so that she is the happiest she can be! I'm also a Wildlife and Conservation major out of Texas A&M Commerce. Thank you all and i hope to see beautiful pictures of your Chameleons!

I'm still waiting on a few things to get here like a fogger and a nice big tree/vine system. So I'm taking extra care to ensure her enclosure gets misted and she gets plenty of water. She has a variety of insects (mealworms Superworms nad small roaches to eat) I only just picked her up on Saturday but I'm already super obsessed.

Attachments

• Mrs. Jackson.jpg
    Mrs. Jackson.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 106
I am concerned about your lights. Those compact florescent bulbs only make a tiny area of UVB and can lead to MBD over time. It would be best if you got a linear fluorescent fixture and bulb. You can still use your current fixture for the basking bulb.

I am concerned about your lights. Those compact florescent bulbs only make a tiny area of UVB and can lead to MBD over time. It would be best if you got a linear fluorescent fixture and bulb. You can still use your current fixture for the basking bulb.
Absolutely! I have one on order from Amazon. Should be here Friday! How does everything else look?

The door piece is where I put her food bowl.

She would like to have a horizontal branch to rest on under that light while the linear is on order.

It will be easier to review your care if you answer several questions.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

While you work on that here are my suggestions for a supplement schedule.

My Jackson's Supplement Schedule​

There are at least three reasonable supplement schedules commonly in use these days. The one bit of advise I would give for all of them is to not over dust the feeders. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Your feeder insects should never look like powdered doughnuts or that scene from Scarface. I strive to make my feeders only slightly lighter in color from the undusted ones. It should take a side by side comparison to tell one group from the other. Should you over dust feed half the number of insects to cut back the amount of supplement to be ingested. Calcium is the safest of these supplements but even with it too much can slow digestion and cause constipation.

The standard three supplement regiment of a phosphorus free calcium, a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin without D3 has been used successfully for many years. I will quote the version from the resources section of the forum "Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month."

I personally use a two supplement regiment of phosphorus and D3 free calcium mixed with powdered bee pollen and Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, the one with the Jackson's on the label. I don't know if the bee pollen is of any value but it seems harmless and probably at least provides dietary fiber. I consider it optional. My schedule is used with a T5 linear fixture with a 5.0 or 6% light. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I dust with phoshorus free calcium mixed with bee pollen 2:1 or 3:1. Twice a month I substitute Repashy Calcium plus LoD for a Monday's calcium. This way they get 2-3 doses of calcium per week and two doses of multi vitamin with a little D3 per month. Clearly the days of the week don't matter as long as they are every other and not more than three per week. When I keep my chameleons outdoors I modify the schedule to only one dose per month of the Repashy LoD and I'm only giving it for the multivitamins it provides.

Arcadia makes the third supplement combo. I have never used it and can not give you any real insight. There was a time when it was more difficult to source in the US but it seems that has been resolved.

• Your Chameleon - Jacksons Chamelon, Female, Not sure of age, Ive had her for 3 days. (Mrs. Jackson is her name)
  • Handling - 2 - 3 times a day. Once straight in the morning while i get her food ready. Usally sometime around lunch while i am on my computer. then right before I go to bed. Usally try to do some enritchment activities with exploring th other plants around my apartmnet.
  • Feeding - Mealworms and crickets primarily. Although i do do superworms as a treat once a week is what im planning. I feed stright in the morning 4 crickets and 4-8 meal worms. They are gut loaded using Nature Zone Total Bites
  • Supplements - Repashy Calsium plus and Zoo Med Reptivite, are the suppliments I bought. I do not have a schedule yet as that is one of thge questions I Had when joining this forum.
  • Watering - I have a mister / fogger coming from amazxon that I will run during the night for a few hours. I have seen her drinking so far. In the mean time I mist her cage heavily at night and once or twice during the day. I am currently building a dripper system as well for water during the day.
  • Fecal Description - White, I will attach a photo next time she goes.
  • History - Bought from Petco. She has Birthed once before during their care.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze 24x24x48 Screen Cage
  • Lighting - https://www.amazon.com/Zoomed-Repti...near+uvb+reptile+light&qid=1634577652&sr=8-13 Is the lighting fixture i have ordered. Lighting schedule is also a question I was going to ask. S0 far lights are on during the day and turn off at night.
  • Temperature - Cage Floor is reading 72 Mid Canopy is reading 73 and basking spot is reading 75. I use a thermal Gun to measure the temp. Night time temp ranges from 68-70
  • Humidity - I have an eletronic humidity reader and they are reading 70-71% in the cage.
  • Plants - Fake plants for now, I am germinating seeds for live plants.
  • Placement - Cage is in my living room. Top of cage is 6.5 feet off the floor. One celing fan on the other side of the room. Its stiing on an adjustable height table.
  • Location -Paris Texas

Current Problem - Seeking care info and to find out what i can improve on.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - Jacksons Chamelon, Female, Not sure of age, Ive had her for 3 days. (Mrs. Jackson is her name) Like her name
  • Handling - 2 - 3 times a day. Once straight in the morning while i get her food ready. Usally sometime around lunch while i am on my computer. then right before I go to bed. Usally try to do some enritchment activities with exploring th other plants around my apartmnet. That is a lot of handling. I don't handle mine except to move between cages, indoor and outdoor or medicate if necessary. Unless they are climbing on you of their own free will let them be. Moving to enrichment areas is ok if they want to.
  • Feeding - Mealworms and crickets primarily. Although i do do superworms as a treat once a week is what im planning. I feed stright in the morning 4 crickets and 4-8 meal worms. They are gut loaded using Nature Zone Total Bites I'd like to see you move away from the maelworms and use something more nutritious like BSFL aka Phoenix worms, Nutrigrubs etc. The bonus is when the BSFL mature into flys they are an enrichment in themselves. You'll see.
  • Supplements - Repashy Calsium plus and Zoo Med Reptivite, are the suppliments I bought. I do not have a schedule yet as that is one of thge questions I Had when joining this forum. Make sure the Repashy is LoD the basic has a lot of D3 for a Jackson's. See post above and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
  • Watering - I have a mister / fogger coming from amazxon that I will run during the night for a few hours. I have seen her drinking so far. In the mean time I mist her cage heavily at night and once or twice during the day. I am currently building a dripper system as well for water during the day. Nice mist longest when the cage is cool like when the lights first come on and go off.
  • Fecal Description - White, I will attach a photo next time she goes. The white part is actually the urine keep your eyes peeled for the brown portion. Sooner or later you should collect some for your vet to run a fecal.
  • History - Bought from Petco. She has Birthed once before during their care. She may again in your care, be prepared. They can store sperm from a single breeding and have up to 3 clutches on average.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze 24x24x48 Screen Cage Nice
  • Lighting - https://www.amazon.com/Zoomed-Repti...near+uvb+reptile+light&qid=1634577652&sr=8-13 Is the lighting fixture i have ordered. Lighting schedule is also a question I was going to ask. S0 far lights are on during the day and turn off at night. The 10.0 is a lot of UVB you want more of a 5.0 or 6% bulb. You can still use the one you bought if you wrap it in a piece of aluminum screen like your cage is made of to reduce it's output. You could also raise it up several inches off of the cage top or just cancel and get the other UVB range.
  • Temperature - Cage Floor is reading 72 Mid Canopy is reading 73 and basking spot is reading 75. I use a thermal Gun to measure the temp. Night time temp ranges from 68-70 Basking should be around 78-80 F and don't be afraid to let her room go down to 60-65 F at night they sleep and regenerate better at those temperatures.
  • Humidity - I have an eletronic humidity reader and they are reading 70-71% in the cage. Where you are this will be an issue high for day and low for night but your humidifier will help the night.
  • Plants - Fake plants for now, I am germinating seeds for live plants. Might want to buy one full plant for now.
  • Placement - Cage is in my living room. Top of cage is 6.5 feet off the floor. One celing fan on the other side of the room. Its stiing on an adjustable height table.
  • Location -Paris Texas

• Your Chameleon - Jacksons Chamelon, Female, Not sure of age, Ive had her for 3 days. (Mrs. Jackson is her name) Like her name
  • Handling - 2 - 3 times a day. Once straight in the morning while i get her food ready. Usally sometime around lunch while i am on my computer. then right before I go to bed. Usally try to do some enritchment activities with exploring th other plants around my apartmnet. That is a lot of handling. I don't handle mine except to move between cages, indoor and outdoor or medicate if necessary. Unless they are climbing on you of their own free will let them be. Moving to enrichment areas is ok if they want to.
  • Feeding - Mealworms and crickets primarily. Although i do do superworms as a treat once a week is what im planning. I feed stright in the morning 4 crickets and 4-8 meal worms. They are gut loaded using Nature Zone Total Bites I'd like to see you move away from the maelworms and use something more nutritious like BSFL aka Phoenix worms, Nutrigrubs etc. The bonus is when the BSFL mature into flys they are an enrichment in themselves. You'll see.
  • Supplements - Repashy Calsium plus and Zoo Med Reptivite, are the suppliments I bought. I do not have a schedule yet as that is one of thge questions I Had when joining this forum. Make sure the Repashy is LoD the basic has a lot of D3 for a Jackson's. See post above and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
  • Watering - I have a mister / fogger coming from amazxon that I will run during the night for a few hours. I have seen her drinking so far. In the mean time I mist her cage heavily at night and once or twice during the day. I am currently building a dripper system as well for water during the day. Nice mist longest when the cage is cool like when the lights first come on and go off.
  • Fecal Description - White, I will attach a photo next time she goes. The white part is actually the urine keep your eyes peeled for the brown portion. Sooner or later you should collect some for your vet to run a fecal.
  • History - Bought from Petco. She has Birthed once before during their care. She may again in your care, be prepared. They can store sperm from a single breeding and have up to 3 clutches on average.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze 24x24x48 Screen Cage Nice
  • Lighting - https://www.amazon.com/Zoomed-Repti...near+uvb+reptile+light&qid=1634577652&sr=8-13 Is the lighting fixture i have ordered. Lighting schedule is also a question I was going to ask. S0 far lights are on during the day and turn off at night. The 10.0 is a lot of UVB you want more of a 5.0 or 6% bulb. You can still use the one you bought if you wrap it in a piece of aluminum screen like your cage is made of to reduce it's output. You could also raise it up several inches off of the cage top or just cancel and get the other UVB range.
  • Temperature - Cage Floor is reading 72 Mid Canopy is reading 73 and basking spot is reading 75. I use a thermal Gun to measure the temp. Night time temp ranges from 68-70 Basking should be around 78-80 F and don't be afraid to let her room go down to 60-65 F at night they sleep and regenerate better at those temperatures.
  • Humidity - I have an eletronic humidity reader and they are reading 70-71% in the cage. Where you are this will be an issue high for day and low for night but your humidifier will help the night.
  • Plants - Fake plants for now, I am germinating seeds for live plants. Might want to buy one full plant for now.
  • Location -Paris Texas

Thank you So much! I will make the necessary changes. I do have allot of sphagnum moss in her enclosure and I love the look and it should help hold the humidity and moisture correct?

Thank you So much! I will make the necessary changes. I do have allot of sphagnum moss in her enclosure and I love the look and it should help hold the humidity and moisture corr

She may again in your care, be prepared. They can store sperm from asingle breeding and have up to 3 clutches on average.

What should I keep an eye out for as far as behavior-wise? Also, I do not feel that I am experienced enough to raise babies what would be your suggestion if she does have more?

Aww, she’s a sweetheart! She does look stressed in the picture where you’re holding her in your hand because she has her eyes closed. That means she’s so stressed she’s shutting down and you don’t want that. Jackson’s chams are very shy they are more of a pet for watching and observing but hands off unless you really need to handle them for a good reason. She would really appreciate a tree with lots of foliage for her to hide in like a ficus benjamina. My guy disappears for hours in his. They feel safe in a tree where they can de stress. As for having more babies, she may and you will just have to deal with it. That’s the problem with female Jackson’s because they store sperm and can become pregnant when they want and have live young. You’ll need access to at least one or two more enclosures where you can house the babies. You’ll need lots of plants for them as well as lots and lots of fruit flies and pinhead crickets. When the babies are a month or two old they will need to be in individual cages because they stress each other out. I hope that’s some help to you.

If she is close to having babies she may stop eating or eat less and spend more time on vertical branches facing up.

I will occasionally take in Jackson babies to raise but only if you are local.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom