My wife found a humming bird

Ryan Jarosek

My wife just found a fledgling humming bird on the floor outside. It tries to fly it just can't yet. We tried putting it back in the tree in a basket but it just jumped out back on the ground. There was a cat near by so we thought it would be best to intervene.

It is healthy and doesn't look hurt.

Any recommendations?

IMG_7394.jpg

IMG_7395.jpg

IMG_7396.jpg

IMG_7397.jpg

It will need to eat about 1/100 of a fluid ounce of nectar about 12 times an hour (every five mintues or so) dawn to near dusk.
Is there a bird rescue in your area?

Last edited:
..........oh how cool......I have never seen one sitting still!! Like sandra said you might want to find a bird rescue!

It will need to eat about 1/100 of a fluid ounce of nectar about 12 times an hour (every five mintues or so) dawn to near dusk.
Is there a bird rescue in your area?

so basically what sandra is trying to say is that this bird needs to be fed every 5minutes all day for god know how long. Good luck, lol, let us know how things go.

AWWWW DA CUTE WIDDLE BITTLE BOOBIE. my offer of $20 stands.

Did you say boobie!? LOL!

That is adorable. Ive never seen one in real life..just the pretty blue and green ones you see in ads. Yea you should be able to google wildlife rescue in your area. It would be awesome to raise though!

They eat insects, too. If it's almost old enough to fly, should it be almost old enough to hunt? Fruit-walks and pinhead crickets?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

and for breaking it down Nic:p:D

Good idea on the bird rescue we will try that. We have it pretty well situated for the night and looks comfortable perched on a little branch. We put a hibiscus flower in the cage and it slurped it up with its little black tongue.

We will make some calls tomorrow and see what we can do. We read on google that the parents will come for it if you get it back in the tree. So we may try that again when the cat is away.

Hey Ryan... if you're not too busy... how about running one of it's droppings through your microscope. I'm just curious to see if coccidia is as prevalent in wild birds as it is with pigeons.

I'll pay 35 bucks! I have lots of kern's nector drink at my house to feed this guy forever! jk about the drink part.... I always wanted a humming birds and bats for a pet but I know its not going to happen. best wish to da little guy and hopefully he can go off on his own soon...

Aw look at the lil thing.
I'm pretty sure that by this time you've done a good amount of research on itt.
But a bird shelter/rescue thing might still be a better option. I know for a fact that hummingbirds need to constantly feed. If you could set up a nectar driper/feeder system tho.. ;)

Ryan, a simple hummer mixture is 1 part sugar to two parts boiled water. Let it cool and then offer it to him, let him feed himself. :rolleyes:

Yah those guys sure are cute but have to be one of the hardest to rear. I remember when I was a kid my mom knew a lady that did rescue and every time we saw her at a bird mart or something she had a sign on her shirt that said "please dont hug" cause she had baby humming birds stuffed in her bra! lol! She could not leave them home since they need so much care and they were smaller then the one you found and needed to be warmed.:eek: I guess her way worked cause she used to rescue them a lot:eek:

I was thinking more along the lines of..

Bird1.JPG

This is an old member picture from the picture gallery. According to the owner, that is a humming bird.. :)

Back
Top Bottom