My Veiled Jeuvenile is comletely wild

Jelloman

I know the normal practice of handfeeding and such to try to get a cham used to people but my veiled is quite wild and hides every time anyone enters the room where he is kept.

Any thoughts on how to get him to chillax?

He is healthy and growing great on the plus side.

How long have you had him?
Being young he will be jittery, When I got my Veiled he was 4 months old and I let him be, I never put my hand to feed him until i noticed him being comfortable in his surroundings. His enclosure was set high when he was a baby so he was over our heads to make him feel secure. After awhile when he stopped running away, i would slowly put a meal worm on my hand and he finally got accustomed to it and would eat out of my hand, I never took him out of the cage until he trusted me. Now at a year old when i go in to mist him, or clean his cage or whatever reason I am in his cage he will just come out on his own onto my shoulder and just hang there.
You have to be patient with him and just give him time to adjust.

I agree I've got Freddie last month at 4 months and he was terrified of us so we left him alone and just put food in his cage to let him see we're not going to hurt him and within 2-3 weeks he's walking out of his cage onto our hands now so I'd say just patience he will come round

He is approximately 8 months i am guessing I have had him since the beginning of April and I purchased him as a jeuvenile, Although by his size he was probably 3 to 4 months when I got him (that is how I came up with 8 months).

I am afraid I might have insisted too much in the hand feeding early on, now I dont bother him except to feed and clean.

I will keep trying, thanks

Do you have a picture? your 8 months might not be 8 months, They grow very fast well my veiled did lol, Still have patience and he might come around, but if he really is 8 months he might just be wild and won't ever like to be hand fed or handled... Pictures would be great though.

Pick a tasty feeder, maybe something that your veiled doesn't often get. Then, using your hand, place it inside the cage on the screen, so it can crawl up the cage. Pick the side of the cage that your cham is on, but don't get super close to him. Let the feeder go, then slowly remove your hand. You can try keeping the door open and watch your cham eat the feeder. If he shies away, close the door slowly and carefully and back away out of sight.

I'm trying to do that with my veiled, and it's a SLOW process to say the least. Just try to stay patient with your cham. Another thing that I do is to pull up a chair and sit right outside the cage with the door closed. I read a book or play on my IPad. Try to keep from watching your cham, just let him get used to you being there, not bothering him at all. I had my panther come around to trusting me that way - good luck! :D

Ps

i have a cham around the same age and he hiss's at me and stands his ground and flairs his beard at me. i have fed him off my hand but if it looks like i am about to touch him, he flips. its about an 8 month veild and i just want to know what should do. ( sorry i dont know how to post a question ) please help this sucks! :confused:

I bought my veiled 4,5 months ago i think he is like 6,5 or 7 months old now.But he acts like your veiled. When i enter room he runs and hides. I don't see him much. I can't even look at him.

Here is a pic

Do you have a picture? your 8 months might not be 8 months, They grow very fast well my veiled did lol, Still have patience and he might come around, but if he really is 8 months he might just be wild and won't ever like to be hand fed or handled... Pictures would be great though.
He doesnt usually hiss or feign attack but he does run for it and hide. In the pic he is rolling around to the other side of the vine.

Attachments

• Barrington-20130610-00809.jpg
    Barrington-20130610-00809.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 125
Pick a tasty feeder, maybe something that your veiled doesn't often get. Then, using your hand, place it inside the cage on the screen, so it can crawl up the cage. Pick the side of the cage that your cham is on, but don't get super close to him. Let the feeder go, then slowly remove your hand. You can try keeping the door open and watch your cham eat the feeder. If he shies away, close the door slowly and carefully and back away out of sight.

I'm trying to do that with my veiled, and it's a SLOW process to say the least. Just try to stay patient with your cham. Another thing that I do is to pull up a chair and sit right outside the cage with the door closed. I read a book or play on my IPad. Try to keep from watching your cham, just let him get used to you being there, not bothering him at all. I had my panther come around to trusting me that way - good luck! :D
Thanks for the advice. He isnt super agressive so I think I can get him to come around to trust me.

how do i taim my veild, he is very comfortable with me until i get about an inch away and then he hiss's and flairs his beard, but doesnt run. i need help! im new to chameleons and he is about 7 months maybe 8 i got him mid February so someone help!

Is he hand feeding? Try getting him to hand feed using a juicy worm to get him used to your hand and move slowly so he can get used to it

Back
Top Bottom