My veiled chameleon is loosing some spikes !!!!!

AngelRod88

My veiled cham is loosing spikes i think he got burned so i just lowered his basking spot im not sure if i caught it on time because im always checking up on him or us he dying im very nervious i love him and i do not know what to do help please

Hi there can you post pics of your cham and fill out this form so we can help you better.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Your chameleon- I have a male veiled chameleon almoust 1 year old ive had him for 3 months
Handeling-I dont handle him very often because i know he doesnt like it except when i have to clean the terrarium and feed him
Feeding- I feed him mainly crickets for him main meal i also give him super worms and hornwoms
Supplements- I dust the crickets in calcium and reptivimamin mix the calcium is with d3
Watering- I water him about twice a day for two minutes except when i notice his thirsty i keep misting him in the mouth so that he can drink water
Fecal description- he poops and urate looks good his dung is solid brown nothing strange and his urate is mainly white and a tiny bit of yellow

History- i recently just lowered his basking spot because of this when i noticed he was getting burned

Cage info:
Cage type i keep him in a large reptibreeze

Lighting- I use the double dome with the 100 watt buld and the uvb is the 5.0

Temperature- I measure the temperature with the guage and it shows to be mosty in the upper 80s most of the time some times it shows to be around 85 at max

Humidity- i measure the humidity with a gauge and it shows to be mostly around 60 and when i come back from work its at 50

Plants- I placed a pothos plant for him to try to make him feel more cromftable

Placement- I keep him in my room theres a ceiling fan and a floor fan but i only use one at a time i try to make sure i dont use it too much because im not sure if it will hurt my cham

Location- Im located in jacksonville Florida

Current problem- he takes long to shed i recently bought him a shedding aid and i keep his humidity high in his cage by misting more often but this shed i noticed he was loosing spikes and where those spikes that are missing his back is sort of arched

Attachments

• 20190614_193647.jpg
    20190614_193647.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 187
If we could get specifics here
Supplements- I dust the crickets in calcium and reptivimamin mix the calcium is with d3 How often do you use this and what exactly are you using. Take pics of the jars.

Lighting- I use the double dome with the 100 watt buld and the uvb is the 5.0 Is this the double dome heat lighting kit?

Also can you take a pic of the entire cage lighting down?

Spines look almost like a thermal burn but this is not my area of expertise. Other experienced keepers will chime in here but I want to make sure you have provided all the right info for them.

This is his cage and i also posted everything from what i feed the crickets to his shedding aid

Attachments

• 20190614_205929.jpg
    20190614_205929.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 173
  • 20190614_210050.jpg
    20190614_210050.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 161
Ok so you have the compact UVB that screws into the double dome. You are going to want to get a single bulb t5HO fixture that will run the length of your enclosure with a 5.0 bulb and do away with the compact bulb.

Also with the supplements you are over supplementing with D3.
So you can use the vitamin and the calcium with D3 but you will pick a day of the week say Friday and use one that day and then use the other the following friday and so on. Rotating between the two every week. Then every other feeding you will get a calcium without D3 to dust with.

Also remove the substrate in the bottom. IT is just a breeding ground for bacteria. :)

If this is a thermal burn you will want to make sure that you correct the issue which is too intense of heat. So your bulb is either too high of a wattage or it is sitting too close. I am guessing the bulb is one of the spot light basking bulbs. those tend to be pretty intense. It looks like your basking branch is about 8 inches down which is perfect. So I would drop back to a 75 watt bulb.

As far as the shedding issue. I think that is due to improper supplementation.

You will want to get rid of the flukers cricket food it’s basically useless. You should gutloading your feeders with fresh fruits and veggies such as

mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa. sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans.

Back
Top Bottom