My veiled chameleon is dark most of the time, is it okay?

MelonTheCham

I just got a veiled chameleon form pet o around 2 weeks ago, ever since I brought it home it’s been dark most of the time, the age and gender is unknown as of now

Attachments

• AE5DEB9F-923F-4678-9EC0-070DCF20D9ED.jpeg
    AE5DEB9F-923F-4678-9EC0-070DCF20D9ED.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 1B897315-9C6D-4CCD-8E7E-DE6DC63AC511.jpeg
    1B897315-9C6D-4CCD-8E7E-DE6DC63AC511.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 95
Hi and welcome do you have pictures of the whole enclosure lights and all . For the best help /advice filling out a husbandry form is the best way .

Husbandry review questions:

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Veileds are know to be dark a lot. But the best and safest route to go is do husbandry form like the above member stated. It could be several different things if not normal. Like heat to high or low. A sickness. Its living conditions and so on. So please do your little one a favor and fill out husbandry form.

Hi so great places for info . Chameleon academy here you will find veiled safe plants
as fake plants are not recommended as veiled are notorious for eating plants and fake ones can cause impaction/ blockages . Neptune the chameleon you tube and casque above. Com

I would fill out the form provided above by copy pasting it into your response. I believe you have a male but I can not see him well enough. If you can provide some closer pics I can confirm and some of the back of the hind feet.

The cham is stressed. Incorrect UVB lighting, water foutain, fake plants. These all need to be corrected. It would seem you were given very incorrect husbandry for him. So if you fill out the form we can give you detailed feedback.

Husbandry review questions:

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I would fill out the form provided above by copy pasting it into your response. I believe you have a male but I can not see him well enough. If you can provide some closer pics I can confirm and some of the back of the hind feet.

The cham is stressed. Incorrect UVB lighting, water foutain, fake plants. These all need to be corrected. It would seem you were given very incorrect husbandry for him. So if you fill out the form we can give you detailed feedback.

My chameleon: it’s a veiled chameleon, gender and age is unknown since i got it at petco, but it’s about 5 inches in body length so I assume it’s 3 months old

handling: I handle it about once a day for around 5 mins or when I clean its enclosure

Feeding: I feed it 5 mealworms twice a day, I hit load them with banana

supplements: I dust the mealworms I’m about to feed it with calcium once a day and dust them with vitamins twice a week

water: I use a waterfall with leaves that create humidity and dew,

fecal description: they are brown with white urates, I have not tested it for parasites

cage: I have a mesh enclosure that’s 16 inch wide and 30 inch high

lighting; I use UBV lights ( one white one and one blue one) I have the white one on for half of the day then I turn on the blue one for the rest of the day

Tempature: it’s basking spot usually ranges around 85-90°F and it’s floor tempature is around 73-78 , I measure it with a tempature and humidity gauge

humidity: it’s about 55-60%, in the tropical range the waterfall system I have combined with where I live maintains the humidity levels

plants: I use fake plants

placement: it’s not near any vents or fans, the top of the tank to my floor is about 6f 7.5in

it doesn’t want to be held at the moment but no tarsal spurs are present yet

Attachments

• E54FE11D-1D27-4DB4-9DB4-B879FE886613.jpeg
    E54FE11D-1D27-4DB4-9DB4-B879FE886613.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 61
Veileds are know to be dark a lot. But the best and safest route to go is do husbandry form like the above member stated. It could be several different things if not normal. Like heat to high or low. A sickness. Its living conditions and so on. So please do your little one a favor and fill out husbandry form.
My chameleon: it’s a veiled chameleon, gender and age is unknown since i got it at petco, but it’s about 5 inches in body length so I assume it’s 3 months old

handling: I handle it about once a day for around 5 mins or when I clean its enclosure

supplements: I dust the mealworms I’m about to feed it with calcium once a day and dust them with vitamins twice a week

fecal description: they are brown with white urates, I have not tested it for parasites

lighting; I use UBV lights ( one white one and one blue one) I have the white one on for half of the day then I turn on the blue one for the rest of the day

Tempature: it’s basking spot usually ranges around 85-90°F and it’s floor tempature is around 73-78 , I measure it with a tempature and humidity gauge

humidity: it’s about 55-60%, in the tropical range the waterfall system I have combined with where I live maintains the humidity levels

placement: it’s not near any vents or fans, the top of the tank to my floor is about 6f 7.5in

Ok so my feedback will be in red.

If the chameleon doesn't have spurs, it is a female, and by the looks of it, she doesn't seem to be 3m old, probably older.

If you have just got her, I would recommend not holding her at all, this is very stressful for them.
Mealworms are not healthy for chameleons, try some crickets, dubia roaches, BSFL, etc.
Make sure that the calcium you are feeding her everyday doesn't have D3. Once every other week you should give her D3.
You shouldn't use a waterfall because it is a hazard for bacteria, try misting instead.
Try to get her tested for parasites because you got her from petco, they are not the best at taking care of animals.
This sizez is okay for now, but eventually you need to move her into 2ft x 2ft x 4ft as a adult enclosure.
Do not use the compact UVB bulb get a linear one asap, your chameleon could get MBD which is not a fun thing to deal with. Also refrain from using a blue heat bulb, you can get white light ones from homedepot/lowes.
This is a bit hot, try raising the bulb up to get it down to 80-85 degrees.
That is a good range, but the waterfall system should be removed.
Get some live plants, in fact, try to have them all be live. Veiled's are notorious for eating plants, and with fake ones, she could eat them and become impacted.
This is a pretty good height! Good job!

Ik it is hard getting a new pet, but with some work, I think your chameleon will be just fine!

Last edited:
Hi @Infiniti I have added links above to useful info. Just a couple of points humidity for veileds 30 to 50 % max daytime. You will want a calcium phosphorus free no d3 use this every feed ( feeder chart added mealworms are not recommended) then twice a month a multivitamin +d3 . Keeping records will both help you ,your cham and if needed a vet . You will want to get the correct lights either an zoomed reptisun t5ho 5% or an arcadia t5ho 6% .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210717_211822.jpg
    20210717_211822.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi @Infiniti I have added links above to useful info. Just a couple of points humidity for veileds 30 to 50 % max daytime. You will want a calcium phosphorus free no d3 use this every feed ( feeder chart added mealworms are not recommended) then twice a month a multivitamin +d3 . Keeping records will both help you ,your cham and if needed a vet . You will want to get the correct lights either an zoomed reptisun t5ho 5% or an arcadia t5ho 6% .
Lol I was wondering if anyone was going to correct the humidity. (y)

Also @Infiniti how are you measuring temps and humidity. Where are your probes? I would recommend getting a 2 foot uvb so when you upgrade your enclosure this will stretch the width also when you get the correct uvb you will want this to be around 8/9 inches above your basking area. Either by raising it up or having your basking branch lower this will depend on on whether your baby climbs the screen top

Attachments

• 20210219_175809.jpg
    20210219_175809.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 43
I've seen you post that chart. Can you show me how you would use it cause I screen shotted it but uncertain how to fill it out.

Back
Top Bottom