My veiled Chameleon fell about 3 feet. He is not okay today

I only had the uva lamp because that's what everyone at the pet store said to use then when I go back there to confront them they say it also has uvb but it didn't so I changed the pet store I go to they told me I need the red lamp and uvb and to keep them on for 12 hrs they said the red one can stay on all night but I turn it off, after taking him in the sun and a warm bath every day he finally pooped before !! It was the biggest poop he's ever taken he was so backed up so now he's moving a lot better still shakey . He's eating big crickets thankfully one or two a day ! The vet gave him a injection of calcium and I give him the syrup every night . He's stubborn with opening his mouth sometimes sometimes he really good I'm so glad he pooped though

No red lights. No lights on at night at all. Chameleons can see red light abd it disturbs their sleep. One basking lamp, it can be a regular house bulb, and one UVB lamp. UVB is mandatory. Please read the caresheets here and don't listen to pet store employees. They often given very bad advice about chameleon care.

Did your veterinarian do radiographs? Did they mention anything about MBD? I attached a pic from the hospital I work at so you can get a better idea of what it does... This is a patient we saw about a month ago... Doing much better now!

Attachments

• MBD.jpg
    MBD.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 153
Thank you so much I finally have it right thanks to this page that's good to know a regular house bulb can be used ! He's getting better day by day little by little. Im looking. To get the little humidifiers for him !

I didn't get the X-rays because that would be $1500 just the injection and syrup to take home was 180 :(

I only had the uva lamp because that's what everyone at the pet store said to use then when I go back there to confront them they say it also has uvb but it didn't so I changed the pet store I go to they told me I need the red lamp and uvb and to keep them on for 12 hrs they said the red one can stay on all night but I turn it off, after taking him in the sun and a warm bath every day he finally pooped before !! It was the biggest poop he's ever taken he was so backed up so now he's moving a lot better still shakey . He's eating big crickets thankfully one or two a day ! The vet gave him a injection of calcium and I give him the syrup every night . He's stubborn with opening his mouth sometimes sometimes he really good I'm so glad he pooped though

Don't listen to pet shop employees. The only thing they know is how to sell these. They keep them alive for short periods of time and usually have them in pretty bad shape. I agree with what's above, please read the care sheets here. No red bulb. Your best bet is a uva heat lamp and then a separate linear uvb bulb. They need heat to stay warm and digest their food, uva to be active and remain interested in food, and uvb to be able to absorb calcium. Follow all of your vet's instructions and come back here for more info. I'm hoping with proper care your baby will be just fine!

Back
Top Bottom