My veiled cham has never laid

jenn5734

Hey guys. Back again with another quick question. Maui is about a year old and has never laid any eggs. Is this normal? Is there a specific time they mature, or get their big girl colors, or is every cham different? Two pictures I just took.

Attachments

• 20210909_090625.jpg
    20210909_090625.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210909_090639.jpg
    20210909_090639.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 63
Do you have a lay bin? Her left eye looks odd. Did you fill out “how to ask for help” form? About egg laying. It depends on every chameleon separately. It depends on how much you feed and temperature and their genetics. I know more about panthers but less than 1 year old chameleons is too early for eggs from my perspective.

Do you have a lay bin? Her left eye looks odd. Did you fill out “how to ask for help” form? About egg laying. It depends on every chameleon separately. It depends on how much you feed and temperature and their genetics. I know more about panthers but less than 1 year old chameleons is too early for eggs from my perspective.
She has a cyst on her eye. The vet aspirated it and said it was skin cells fat tissue, and me some ointment to put on it.

Can you fill this up and post it back here. Me and ,I’m sure, other people will review it so you can be sure everything is in order 😁

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Folks, op did a full husbandry review last night. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/weird-lookinf-bruise-on-mauis-sides.184301/
@jenn5734 I have been thinking and wondering about this, but honestly don’t know. Perhaps @kinyonga is the best person to answer the question.
IMO it looks like she is holding eggs now. What do you think? And with husbandry being so off I would expect her to be more high risk for egg binding between improper calcium intake for egg development and the MBD...

IMO it looks like she is holding eggs now. What do you think? And with husbandry being so off I would expect her to be more high risk for egg binding between improper calcium intake for egg development and the MBD...
Agreed.
@jenn5734 it would definitely be worth it for another vet visit to have an x ray to see if she does have any eggs and if so, what stage of forming they are in. They can also check her bone density and if needed, give her a shot of calcium and possibly even some liquid calcium for you to give her to help her recover better from the mbd.

She does look like she might have eggs now. As far as normal, if you have been keeping temps low and food light I don't think it is abnormal. I have 3 baby females 1yr old and one has just started showing receptive colors, the other two have not. Their mom, befor I knew was fed more and warmer temps and laid at probably 7 to 8 months. So it van vary

Oh my gosh, now I'm even more worried. I've called 7 exotic vets and everyone is booking a month out or more. I think I can get her into an emergency vet tomorrow. Fingers crossed. She did eat her crickets I gave her a while ago. And she did sit under the mist. She's moving about like normal. Including another picture. I don't know if she's egg bound or not, but that was my BIGGEST fear with getting a female cham 😞

Attachments

• 20210909_145834.jpg
    20210909_145834.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210909_150003.jpg
    20210909_150003.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210909_150206.jpg
    20210909_150206.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 52
Oh my gosh, now I'm even more worried. I've called 7 exotic vets and everyone is booking a month out or more. I think I can get her into an emergency vet tomorrow. Fingers crossed. She did eat her crickets I gave her a while ago. And she did sit under the mist. She's moving about like normal. Including another picture. I don't know if she's egg bound or not, but that was my BIGGEST fear with getting a female cham 😞
Tell us how it goes also I would say females are not good starters if this is your first Cham just because of the egg laying process

@MissSkittles nope, she's still basking away, she's all over her cage like normal. She gobbled the 4 crickets I gave her this morning. She keeps the cyst eye closed sometimes, but I think it's because it irritates her. I went ahead and put a lay bin in, just in case. I used washed play sand. I tried to get it as covered as I could with what I have left. New leaves and branches come tomorrow, so I'll set her up better then. She's been down to explore twice, but so far, no real interest.

Attachments

• 20210909_162152.jpg
    20210909_162152.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210909_162152.jpg
    20210909_162152.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 61
I second that your bin is not good enough....

Taking her to an emergency Vet is risky unless this is someone that specializes in reptiles. If they do not then they will have no clue about anything with her and could cause issues.

Focusing on your husbandry and following everything that @MissSkittles told you in your other thread needs to be a priority. Adding a lay bin that is correct, live plants to give her privacy... Correct supplementation and UVB lighting. These are the priorities.

laybin graphic.jpg

But that is in your 16x16x30 cage? I can not imagine that is a 12" across bin and 10" inches deep... Measurements visually with the cage size do not add up.

Back
Top Bottom