my veiled baby just fell...

I have a veiled chameleon, 4 months old, and he was resting at the top are of his enclosure getting some UVB when he just fell straight to the bottom. I don't know what happen, but he fell on all 4, I tried getting him in my hands, but he is starting to climb back up. what should I do this is the first time this happened.

I have a veiled chameleon, 4 months old, and he was resting at the top are of his enclosure getting some UVB when he just fell straight to the bottom. I don't know what happen, but he fell on all 4, I tried getting him in my hands, but he is starting to climb back up. what should I do this is the first time this happened.
Make sure he is able to move and just watch him...

Can you take pics of your entire enclosure? They should not just fall like that.

IMG_7793.JPG

He is moving very slow and staying in the middle bottom area

View attachment 264871
He is moving very slow and staying in the middle bottom area
Ok cage needs to be lifted up off the ground... If anything runs or walks by with the cage sitting at that level it can spook him.
What is the distance between the basking area and top of cage?
Basking lamp needs to be moved over toward the UVB fixture not sitting on the edge.

Need many more things to crawl on in a smaller diameter. He is tiny so what he has to hold on to is rather large.
I recommend that the braided thing be removed. They need branches not netting.

Was he resting on screen or branch? they can slip from screen, but usually older. If healthy it should not cause a problem.

I believe "dropping" could be used as a defense to escape. When young I have seen mine repeatedly make drops of 2 feet. They were young and looking to explore. I though they would not drop from a high place. They did willingly

Point is like a human we can handle a drop normally, however the is always risk of injury.

Watch her close, but hopefully she handled it like a champ.

And still follow advice given.

Was he resting on screen or branch? they can slip from screen, but usually older. If healthy it should not cause a problem.

I believe "dropping" could be used as a defense to escape. When young I have seen mine repeatedly make drops of 2 feet. They were young and looking to explore. I though they would not drop from a high place. They did willingly

Point is like a human we can handle a drop normally, however the is always risk of injury.

Watch her close, but hopefully she handled it like a champ.

And still follow advice given.
Okay thank you so much. ill keep an eye on him.

Ok cage needs to be lifted up off the ground... If anything runs or walks by with the cage sitting at that level it can spook him.
What is the distance between the basking area and top of cage?
Basking lamp needs to be moved over toward the UVB fixture not sitting on the edge.

Need many more things to crawl on in a smaller diameter. He is tiny so what he has to hold on to is rather large.
I recommend that the braided thing be removed. They need branches not netting.
what can I put under the cage so that it can be lifted up?
distance is about 6-9 inches
Okay ill add more branches, but I just got him a couple days ago and people say to not handle them for the first week. How can I make these adjustments with that?

what can I put under the cage so that it can be lifted up?
distance is about 6-9 inches
Okay ill add more branches, but I just got him a couple days ago and people say to not handle them for the first week. How can I make these adjustments with that?
Today you want to leave him be... But you need a table to put that cage up on... You have a reflective door that it is sitting right next to as well. He could have just seen your reflection and spooked. But having him on the floor instead of up high (like being in a tree) makes them feel like they are at risk of being attacked rather then safe.

You will want to get a T5HO fixture (5.0 UVB bulb) that runs the length of your cage as well. The fixture you have on there is small for the coverage of that size cage.

Today you want to leave him be... But you need a table to put that cage up on... You have a reflective door that it is sitting right next to as well. He could have just seen your reflection and spooked. But having him on the floor instead of up high (like being in a tree) makes them feel like they are at risk of being attacked rather then safe.

You will want to get a T5HO fixture (5.0 UVB bulb) that runs the length of your cage as well. The fixture you have on there is small for the coverage of that size cage.
okay, I want to add more branches but I don't want to disturb him because I know your not supposed to handle them for a while. how can I do this with him in the cage?
I just fed him some crickets but he is not eating...

Okay, I just fed him crickets but he is not eating them, what should I do?

This is the help form. Try to give as much detail as you can.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
They did in this thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/dark-color-when-he-is-basking.174869/

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
okay yes I have seen these, I didn't know they were called help forms

Back
Top Bottom