MY UVB readings as a guide

Yup, I think a solar meter is a necessary tool, especially if you want to go d3-free. I’d share how I set up my enclosures with respect to uvi ratings, coverage, etc. But I fear I’ll get torn to shreds.
LOL I feel ya. I push the limits as well. And I know how you have yours set up and it makes perfect sense to me. ;)

LOL I feel ya. I push the limits as well. And I know how you have yours set up and it makes perfect sense to me. ;)
If my chams decided to, they could sit under uvi 9-10 all day in certain parts of their enclosures. Luckily, my chams seem to know to move in and out of the full blast.

Yup, I think a solar meter is a necessary tool, especially if you want to go d3-free. I’d share how I set up my enclosures with respect to uvi ratings, coverage, etc. But I fear I’ll get torn to shreds.
I’m interested to see how yours is set up. It’s fun looking at others’ setups and hearing the science behind it

Not clear if these readings are for a 5.0 or 10.0
They are similar to the readings I get with an Arcadia 6% through the screen, so I'm having to back away from 9"-10" (for around a 3.0 UVI for a panther).
These are the base readings of my new 10.0 T5 Reptisun. (They replaced my crapping out 5.0s)
There is some pretty good anecdotal evidence that Arcadia fixtures are superior at broadcasting UVB and that the Arcadia tubes last longer with less degradation.
I haven't tested Arcadia.
I only own Reptisun.

These are the base readings of my new 10.0 T5 Reptisun. (They replaced my crapping out 5.0s)
There is some pretty good anecdotal evidence that Arcadia fixtures are superior at broadcasting UVB and that the Arcadia tubes last longer with less degradation.
I haven't tested Arcadia.
I only own Reptisun.

I own both, i cant tell the difference. I do not own the new Arcadia hoods (but they are just clones of sunblasters that have been out for over a decade). But as long as the hood puts out the correct voltage (some cheap out on the ballast and just buy a T5 and crank it up to try to work with HOs) all bulbs will put out the correct light.

TMK, Sansi only has blacklight (wrong wavelength) at this time.
We discussed other available options...
https://www.amazon.com/10-0-Spectrum-Sunbathe-Reptile-Lizard/dp/B0836LTT1K
Guess we'll have to keep watching. Or I suppose someone could contact Sansi and ask them. ?‍♂️

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/uvb-and-vitamins.178752/#post-1612303

Try to find that magical 20 watt model thats listed in the picture (the link only goes to the 9 watt model) and we technically have a viable solution.

I tried google translate, but it just converts to UVRZ-HR

Last edited:
Just to add to the knowledge base in this thread, kinyonga posted a study suggesting much lower UVIs
Only on rare occasions were chameleons observed in areas with a UV Index (UVI) greater than 3.0, and the median UVI for both species was only 0.3.
I have not read the entire study.

Odds are that is the same study that said they only "sun" in the early morning and late evening, so once the UVI got above 3.0 around 8-9am, its back to the bushes.
No argument. Just sayin'—the study suggests 3.0+ is the upper limit rather than avg. or the range being between 3.0 and 6.0. With the median being 0.3, I wonder what the average was. :unsure:

Hello.
Recently I replaced some 4 month old T5 Reptisun HO 5.0 tubes that had diminished more than I had expected.
(Tested with my SOLARMETER 6.5R)
This is a baseline reading with my new 10.0 REPTISUN HO UVB T5 tubes. These are in Reptisun 24" fuxtures.
I hope they can be helpful for keepers without access to a meter.
I have 3 Exo Terra Xtra large cages and 3 of these fixtures and lights.
I tested both with light going through the screen top and without any screen and then I averaged out the readings. They were all very similar.
WITHOUT A SCREEN:
4" 11.2
8" 8.9
12" 5.5
20" 2.0
THROUGH A SCREEN:
4" 10.3
8" 7.7
12" 4.7
20" 1.2
So, for my Veileds, the lights are raised about 14" away from the favorite branch and through a screen top I've got about 3.9 or 4.0.
If you are using a similar cage and UVB. I hope this helps.
I'll try to do an update when I check again in 3 or 4 months for a height adjustment.
damn my bearded dragon closest branch to his uvb is 5 inches... Good to know his getting his UV

Nope they have a basking lamp that they barely ever use. I also have my branches so that they are slightly angling in and out of the uvb path. There are areas of lower uvb with same temps under the 3 T5's but that is never where they pick. It is always the areas of higher uvb.
H
Arcadia has a lighting guide where you type in the species and they give you the recommended UVI level for the basking zone. That is another tool I utilized when setting mine up https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/guide/
My uvb line is 3-4 and it’s 73-76F the higher temperature basking area she tends to stay on has lower uvb like 1-2
Question is should I be worried or as long as I provide the option she will go to the higher uvb when she needs it or how do I provide both in the same branch... I have veileds btw....

My uvb line is 3-4 and it’s 73-76F the higher temperature basking area she tends to stay on has lower uvb like 1-2
Question is should I be worried or as long as I provide the option she will go to the higher uvb when she needs it or how do I provide both in the same branch... I have veileds btw....
They will seek out the higher UVI level. But if your worried about it. You can get the exo terra lamp bracket. and Modify the attachment by drilling holes into it to screw it into a cage frame. Then you would angle the heat fixture towards the UVB area. https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Ho...132&sprefix=exo+terra+light+br,aps,215&sr=8-1

This is how I did mine. If you have a female just ensure the temp is no hotter then 80.

basking hooked in3.JPG

basking hooked in1.JPG

lighting3.JPG

According to Bill Strand. The known effective range is 1-3 with 6 max known safe. So you are ok. Mine does the same quite often.

My Chameleons are always on the move. Except at night.
I'm not too worried about them not getting enough uvb. Because they are up and down and never stay too long in any one spot except first thing in the morning when they like to bask.
The photos are of 2 of them sleeping.
I'm sure it upset them

Attachments

• 20201217_221633.jpg
    20201217_221633.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20201217_221659.jpg
    20201217_221659.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom