My Uromastyx

weezyboi94

She actually is a rescue that my dad spotted in a cellar.(he works at an oil field).
Trapped for 2 months or so without food...Dont how she did it.?! The cellar is cleaned and repairs are carried out every 2 months and thats how my dad got her out for me...Probably would have died.
She lives a royal life now in my backyard, and has dug her own hole, while fiercely garding her territory against any birds that dare land on the ground...lol
She tries to whip them but they fly off.
I think im supposed to release her, but ive gotten so attached that i am now fully convinced that shes gonna spend some time here...:D

dsc1929.jpg

dsc1920.jpg

dsc1918.jpg

That is cool you live where they are native.

I bred mali uros a couple of times a while back. Looks like you got it eating between the first and second pictures.

You need a very different sort of terraria than the one yours is crawling through in the pic if you want your uro to stay healthy very long.

Think hot and dry - really hot- basking temp up over 100- even 110 or 120 or even 130.

deer fern farms has a wonderful website with good info here:

http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Care.htm

I didn't keep them exactly like deer fern farms. I kept mine exactly like bearded dragons, except I fed fewer insects, and the basking spots were a little warmer when they were indoors (I keep all my lizards outdoors during the summer).

Yeah i know they're native but very hard to approach them without spooking them. Thanks for the heads up...!
I just put her there to click some shots.
I keep her in my garden where direct sunlight spots reach the 125F mark and she has dug her own burrow which is about 3 ft in too take shelter when needed,much like in the wild. I actually have a quarter of my garden, where she stays which is just sand and some cactus/succulents so its extremely similar to the wild.

That sounds really nice.
You have perfect setup- I'm envious.

For the curious who may come across this thread and live where temps aren't that hot- they don't need the extreme temps outdoors in the sun that they seem to require indoors. Mine did great with day temps in upper 80s outdoors. Like stones and bricks- lizards can heat up significantly in available sun. Indoors under artifical lighting, things are different...

Back
Top Bottom