my setup

veildowner

this is my setup for my pygmys i picked up yesterday. its an exoterra 18x18x18 with live plants and a coulpe of fake plants stuck to the side with branches outa the back garden. temps around 70-75and humidity around 65.
Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

is it to much? to less? what do you all think.
chris

well from what i have learned here is u do not want nothing at the bottom of your tank that can get in your chams mouth and a screen cage is the best for them as u want air flow for them but am new here so am sure more ppl will help u out

The glass habitat is fine if it is temporary for your Chams and I agree the stuff in the bottom is not safe. I use the green carpet stuff for Chams and switch it out with paper towels every time I clean out Ozzies habitat.

Also from what i can see (may be wrong) you have the compact top with 2 different bulbs my bet would be a ReptiGlo 2.0 and a ReptiGlo 5.0.....those are what i had at first and after joinin the forum here and learning a few things it seems the Majority of poeple here use the ReptiSun 5.0 linear tube light thats what i picked up to replace the other 2 compact lights i still have the 2.0 and the 5.0 but ill use them as a backup if anything happens to the ReptiSun. i have an ExoTerra 18x18x24 for my veiled as a temporary cage till he gets a bit older and bigger can be difficult at first to try and get the right humidity levels..

i have a pygmy,had two awhile back,female died due to being egg bound..i think your set up looks just fine,substrate with pygmy's isnt much of a concern since the crix usually travel to the top of the enclosure and pygmy's generally tend to stay in the top section of the enclosure as well.if your pygmy is a male and you only own 1 then substrate is not a nessesity,however if you are housing a female then substrate is a must for her to lay eggs in..i chose to have bare floor in my pygmy home(its a male) and he could care less,way easier to clean..the glass enclosure for a pygmy is fine..just make sure you are not over heating the pygmy..one sure way to tell its too hot is your pygmy will tend to hang near the bottom alot..a compact lighting system seems to be fine for pygmys as well,as long as you have a uvb light you are set...you should be fine with what you have as things are :)

Substrate and glass being used for a pygmy viv is totally acceptable and actually recommended!! They need a place to lay eggs, you won't see signs of impending egg laying to move them into a bin so it is very important that a place is always available. Brevs are low forest dwellers, which includes walking around on the ground so this is actually the best recreation of natural habitat we can offer to this type of chameleon. They also need high humidity and don't require so much ventilation as bigger species so glass works very well for them. Be careful giving advice about species you are not familiar with.

It is not actually known if pygmy chams even utilize UVB like other species do so the general consensus is to offer low levels of UVB (a 2.0 or used 5.0 bulb) because it can't hurt and is probably beneficial even if we're not 100% sure. You only need one bulb.

I say your viv looks great! They should be very happy in there!

the compact top has an old 5.0 light and a 25w bulb to help with the heat as i couldnt get the right temps with out it.

Back
Top Bottom