My Selfmade Enclosure and Panther chameleon (Tito) that i finnaly got today!

knauzeris

Well as all of you do - here are pics of how i did my cage!
Some will tell that it is not ventilated - well it is - i have went at the top (can't see it) that makes air circulation! And this cage is not sealed as fishtank or something like this. Doors and all opening things has about 3 to 4 MM gap to the main cage. Why i did this type is simple - humidity in my house in winter is 10 - 20% and it is extremely cold here - sometimes even -20C...( -4F) So it is more safe to keep him warm when it is cold here and humid when it is no humidity at all.
Humidifier works like 3 times a day for 30 min. Just to keep humidity. I'm gonna spray it as well 2 3 times a day!

So any of your comments would be nice.
P.S. I suppose to talk about chameleon sex is to early - cause it is like 1.5 month old. But still - if have any ideas - would be nice. I am curious to find out :)

Cage Front

HPIM0811.JPG

Cage Side (Timers and humidifier)

HPIM0816.JPG

Cage Top (UVB, Heat and drip system)

HPIM0830.JPG

Small Cage in Big (since i can not keep that lil thing it this big cage)

HPIM0822.JPG

My Tito (Panther - but i don't know which panther)

HPIM0818.JPG

And no idea he or she :)

HPIM0821.JPG

Hope to get your critisism and maybe some advices and ideas if it is he or she :)

Thanx

(I am so happy i decided to jump in this chameleon world :) )

Looks to me like a little girl :)
I've heard bad things about having the color red visible to your chameleon. Are you sure that the varnish coat or paint on the inside of your cage is nontoxic?

Well - he can not reach the red paint - i was told it is not - it is like water sealant - but still - it is not finished. The wall will be made - stone imitation soon - and i will make 100% sure these paint's i'll be using - wont be toxic!

P.S. what makes you think it's a girl?
I took the one with the fattest tail as you all speak here in forum - that tail (at the body) makes sence :)

Knauzeris,
I think I need to make a similar humidifier set-up (I'm in New Jersey, the center for all crappy humidity!)

What humifier are you using and what size tubing is it? Also, your timer setting for 30 minutes for 3 times a day.. when the humidifier turns on, how long does it take for it to warm up and start working?

Well it is the cheapest humidifier i could get. Made to humidify air in your house! It has in of switch and regulation of fog amount. Model: Storm SPS 706
Loks like this:
eaeafd0d-1a61-5763-9b5c-18adbbf57b96.preview-300.jpg

Than i took 1.5 inch pipe - and made it go straight into cage! The pipes are as simple as they can be - plastic pipes from plumber shop.

It turns on 1 hour after the lights are on so my cham has chance to warm up before this fog! And in the evening - 2 hours before lights are off! So the cage dries a little before night time! It takes about minute from the moment when it turns on to the moment when you see fog comming out of the tube!

I suggest re-painting the inside to a colour other than red. I did an experiment to see which, if any, colours the chams liked. Red was the only colour to get a negative reaction. White, brown, orange, black, green - no reaction at all.

I have cages similar to yours (only the back and sides are peg-board (got lots of holes) instead of solid). Even though the doors are not tight fitting, you might consider drilling 50 small holes down both sides, for a little more air exchange potential.

The reason i think it is a girl is because generally the lighter orange babies are female and the darker black/dark brown young ones are male. It is difficult to sex young panthers though so it could possibly be a male. There are cases of males being that color at that age.

Bright red is the color most reptiles and insects display as a warning for danger. Chameleons especially react to bright reds, yellows, and oranges as a sign of aggression. This can possibly stress your chameleon.

As for your ventilation...It is very important to find a balance that works for you in your particular climate. The cage needs to dry out at some point during the day so that your chameleons respiratory system doesn't stay filled with moist stagnate air. Someone with more experience could probably tell you what the humidity needs to rise and drop to and what time intervals would be best...then you can adjust your ventilation and fog cycle to get those numbers.

I dont think I've ever seen a panther female that was mainly red. Shoot, my female has the most red that I've ever seen on a female panther. Now pink I've seen a lot of. Just my experience...

I'm quite interested in seeing a red female though, if you come across any pictures would you point me in the direction?

The same reason why male chameleons are pink or red...to ward off anything from messing with them. It is a defense mechanism. The bright reds are what a chameleon recognizes as another very angry male chameleon or another animal that posses a threat. In case you didn't know male and female chameleons only get along for a few minutes to mate...then they go back to hating each other. Chameleons are solitary animals that don't want anything to touch them which is why they are so brightly colored themselves.

Back
Top Bottom