My Quads are turning 7 months old

Your plant on the left is a "Gold Dust Croton", Codiaeum spp./variegatum (a toxic species, which comes to show how much more applications we may have with plants. I have seen many people use this species for many different spp of chams).

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I knew it was Gold Dust something or another. So its not toxic to Chameleons, but is toxic?

Thanks Mikey for sharing all of that. Very informative! You said you need to give your 7 month olds calcium with D3 (Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-All 1 indoor formula) because you are housing them indoors. Do you use standard fluorescent lighting (no UVB bulbs)? I generally feel my quads can meet all of their D3 requirements through exposure to UVB lamps, and I worry about potentially overdosing them with D3 (the most common cause of edema IMO and experience). That is why I prefer to let them manufacture their own by exposing them to UVB. However, it is very helpful to know that you are using a supplement that contains D3 four times a month and your 7 month olds look great. I'd really like to know if you are using UVB bulbs on your youngsters (and the brand) because that way at least, we can draw a preliminary conclusion that dusting with Sticky Tongues indoor forumula once a week (by the way, 1 feeder or the all the feeders in a single feeding??) is not likely to cause any problems for quads up to 7 months old when not using (or using??) UVB lamps.

Also, although people fall into different camps and opinions change, sometimes frequently, many of us believe that preformed vitamin A (not just beta carotene from vegetables) is very helpful, even necessary, in producing a strong healthy clutch. I currently believe not giving my females preformed vitamin in the past was the primary reason that many of the clutches exhibited signs like yours did (they either died in the egg full term or else died not too many days after hatching). In the wild, many believe that chameleons must be getting preformed vitamin A from at least some of their prey (not just the raw beta carotene form found in many plants). Since you didn't give preformed vitamin A directly to the mother before she laid her last clutch of 12, it will be interesting to see how many hatch and survive. If preformed A is crucial, I hope she got some from the crickets you buy (a commercial gutload that has preformed vitamin A in it may have been used by the cricket supplier you use). Keep us all informed. Thanks.

Perry

Last edited:
Thanks, I knew it was Gold Dust something or another. So its not toxic to Chameleons, but is toxic?

I see no reason why they would not be toxic to chams. I have seen many people use them though, in addition to other notably toxic plants.

What I was eluding to in a round about way was some chameleons may know what not to eat or may avoid eating certain types, and or eating small amounts and discontinuing after tasting or feeling effects. However, I warn that this statement is simply comprised of ideas, processes, and concepts that have crossed my mind. I have done little research on actual physiological, behavioral, and cognative conditions that surround vegetation consumption in chameleons.

I wonder if we have any clinical cases of certain poisoning by plants in chameleons? I have kept reported toxic plants with montane taxa with no issues (.yet.), however I would be more hesitant with some species like Veileds or Panthers.

Back
Top Bottom