My Pygmy Set-Ups

Tazjunky

Here are my 2 pygmy set ups. 1 is a 1:1 setup and the other is a 2:1 set up.
Both are exo terra rainforest habitats, but one has a special edition Mayan background. Both are 45x45x60cm. The lights look a bit harsh in the pics, but I think its just the camera as its not like that in real life.:D

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

you like them?
Thanks! I never seem completely satisfied with them! always good to get peoples reactions though!:D

with great difficulty! in saying that though, now that the group has been seperated, the 2 that you can see in tank 1 top pic, very rarely hide away now, as i type this they are sat right at the front of the tank and havnt ventured back to the hiding places.

the others in tank 2 hide away except the male that you can see on one of the branches.
; )

Hey folks, not been on the forum in a long while, but WOW! This setup is amazing - like a snippit of the rain forest in your home, and exactly what I was looking for/why I came back to have a gander in the forum.

We have a large aquarium our bearded dragon is in, but he is being moved into a wooden vivarium soon and we will be left with a nice big aquarium. I had looked into pygmies a lot last year, but didn't have the space. Now we have thought about using the tank to create a natural habitat rainforest style and had thought about pygmies again... and your setup looks amazing! Just the sort of thing we had been thinking of.

How often do you have to fully clean it out? i can't help thinking how hard it would be with live plants and all that sphagnum moss etc..

Thank you! im pleased so many people like my set-ups.
I actually dont clean the tanks out - i have living substrate with Tropical Spring Tail and Tropical woodlice so they do the hard work for me, I just do spot cleans each week. There are a few earth worms in there too which must have hitched a lift with the moss sheets. ; ).
I pretty much let the tanks just get on with life. I did clean the tanks out just prior to these pics and my gravid female became eggbound, and i think its because i moved her little home aroundso much. poor thing passed away but harvested 3 eggs. these tanks are staying the way they are for the next few months until the end of august and then il be re-doing them and changing the substrate etc. im sure there is no need to change it all with the worms,springtail and woodlice. maybe il just add some more wood chippings.

the only down side to these exo-terra backgrounds iis that the crickets still manage to get behind them! so i might change the backgrounds completely to something I can bed live plants into.

Thanks for the advice, I was so compelled by your setup the other night, I looked more into it and read oabout the springtails etc.. mentioned it (several times lol) to my brother and fiancee (kind of a 'all three of us' project) and they all think its ace and love your pics... we want one!! hehe..

So, once our Beardie is into his new viv (current project we're working on), we will be making a start on the tank, setting up the substrate, planting it up and getting some of those lil critters to start the eco system off before later introducing the pygmies :)

Thanks again!!!

Jon

thats great news!
Definateyl get the tank set up with the tropical woodlice, springtails and earth worms and get the habitat up and running for a few weeks before you get the cams. gives you chance to move things around as no doubt you will want to. best to get the final touches done before they arrive!

my other cham laid 3 eggs yesterday so I have 6 cooking at the min!

Wow congrats! Its nice to know they're so happy in their environment that they will breed!

I have seen the misting setups on the net, I take it you use one? On the online stores there seems so many different ones though. Misters, Foggers, Rain makers... Are they all the same thing? If not, which do you use/recommend for pygmies?

Cheers :)
jon

Back
Top Bottom