my pygmy died, what happened?

VeiledOwner87

my pygmy died sometime during the night. for the last couple days, she hasnt been eating, and her two back legs weren't working, she was dragging her body, and holding on to branches with just her two front feet. from her vent down to her tail is pitch white and started turing white around the leg seems 2 days ago, and just spread. any guys have an idea of what went wrong? it was realy hard to see her suffer like this, but im just glad she isnt suffering anymore. poor girl :(

my pygmy died sometime during the night. for the last couple days, she hasnt been eating, and her two back legs weren't working, she was dragging her body, and holding on to branches with just her two front feet. from her vent down to her tail is pitch white and started turing white around the leg seems 2 days ago, and just spread. any guys have an idea of what went wrong? it was realy hard to see her suffer like this, but im just glad she isnt suffering anymore. poor girl :(

There's really no way to know. I do know that when a cham is close to death they lose control of their color changing abilities. Large areas of odd color often show up. So, hard to say whether the odd color was a symptom or an unrelated side effect of her downward trend. Kind of sounds like a spinal problem, but possibly an impaction or some sort of internal damage ended up affecting her hind end. Possible eggbinding? Ruptured follicle? Without a necropsy you won't really know. So sorry you lost her.

hey

my buddy had three, they have all passed on, i don't think they are any where near as hardy as their larger relatives, hence why they are much cheaper. sorry about your loss.

i'm sorry about your loss. At least you know she's not suffering anymore. She's in chameleon heaven now, where i'm sure she's climbing an infinite amount of trees and theres hornworms on every branch ;)

Many pygmies are wild-caught (mine were). If yours was, then you probably received an adult animal that could have been in the prime of life, or could have been the pygmeleon equivalent of a ninety year old.

hey guys, thanks for your condolences, but you guys are right. she isnt suffering nemore.

like the two posters said, it could have been old age, yes it was a wc. ive had her since around april, i bought two, but one passed a month after i had it. this little girl was alot smaller and i watched her grow up. so it could have very well been old age. i know they dont last long.

also im very open to the idea of being eggbound. she laid one egg without digging about 3/4 a month ago, so that could have been it.

First, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm still waiting for my very first Cham, and this is definitely a reality reminder for me. these things i guess we dont always wanna think about. But yeah, I know my goal is to get one with ateast a descent life expectancy, and i personally wouldnt feel right owning one that was caught in the wild. one because its hard to kow ther age, and two, because it may be easy for them to set into depression when they were used to the wild. my condolonces, and i hope you continue with your cham love, and get another one

wat if u gaeve it a home BETTER than the wild? food with out the hunt, vines without the risk, just a thought.

sorry, but in my opinion, no captivity home is better than the wild for w.c animals. i hate the idea of wild caught animals too. its a dirty trade and when the rest of my chameleons die, that's when i'm out of it. they are awsome amazing animals, but isnt fair to them at all that we get to rip them from their homes and make "pets" out of them.

CBs gotta start somewhere. Sorry about your girl. I just recently lost two of mine as well.

Back
Top Bottom