my pygmy chameleon looks sick

vegandude

shes very active eats normal i dont know the measurements or the info about the terrarium that she lives in but i have many pictures but today i found her on the top of her cage in a corner very white colored and it took like 5 minutes to wake her up if she was sleeping i think she may be sick anyone have any advice? she looks thin now too.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 219
You should work on furnishing your terrarium to make it more suitable for a pygmy chameleon.
Have you done your research on pygmy enclosures?

i was told when i bought her from the pet store lights and heat arent good for them thats why i had to order her cuz when they had them in store they were dying from the lights and heat

Normally a pygmy enclosure has a soil substrate. If she needs to lay eggs there is no soil in her enclosure. Research that link Laurie sent you. They generally only lay 2 - 3 eggs in the soil on bottom of enclosure or in a potted plant.

Sounds like she may have been asleep. I would get some soil and/or coconut fiber bedding in the bottom. This serves to hold humidity and give her a place to lay eggs. They will lay eggs without a male being present. Temps should be 70-75-getting closer to 80 will start casuing issues.

I have to ask-How much did the petstore charge you to order in a pygmy?

Really happy to hear things are getting better. This fourn helps us all be better keepers if we just listen with an open mind.

me too

My pygmy chameleon is also VERY white and sickly looking. Not sure if it's a boy or a girl and have only had him for like 2 days.he has 1 light source and it's a 100 watt bulb from the pet store so maybe it's too hot?

vegan dude- work on that tank, you need WAY more plants, some vines, and a substrate.

casey- TOOO hot! get a different bulb!

My pygmy chameleon is also VERY white and sickly looking. Not sure if it's a boy or a girl and have only had him for like 2 days.he has 1 light source and it's a 100 watt bulb from the pet store so maybe it's too hot?

100 watt your cooking it.

pygmy leaf cham

hi,i have a male pygmy and he is doing awesome..when i purchased him i bought a female as well,she later died,she was preg when i bought her,i didnt know much back then and thaught i had researched well enough to keep them healthy and happy,but i did not...she died in my hand,i of course cried in my bathroom cause i didnt want anyone to see my cry over a chameleon,but i was in love with her lol...anyways i did put a substrate in the bottom and had live plants and misted often,i think she was egg bound thats why she died(no proper place to lay her eggs till it was too late)i eventually took the substrate out an now i just have paper towel linning the bottom,easier to clean...i have a live umbrella plant and some vines and asst'd sticks of various sizes..my male cham is doing very well and he is healthy and happy..i spray inside his enclosure about 3-6 times a day,whenever i see his leaves are dry...he is so active and hunts his crix like a ninja lol..i do have a uvb light above his home so he can get the required amount of light and what he needs from it..he gets 12.5hrs of light a day..i did put a heat lamp above his home because he felt cold when i would pick him up,he ended up staying very close to the bottom so after a day of that i decided he was better off without it and he is...he gets enough light and heat fr his uvb bulb,he has a small glass terrarium with a screen top,so he doesnt get drafts and his temp stays the same,except at night he cools down considerably but as i said he is a very healthy and happy pygmy and because he is happy so am i...good luck with your pygmy..any questions just ask ok..

pygmy

i guess i should mention that because your pygmy is a female she will need a dirt substrate..it is way easier to clean if you provide a small plant within a lrger container of "organic"soil,she can dig away when she chooses and you wont run into the same problem i had(earlier post)..i found the mess of cleaning is fairly minimal this way..im no expert for sure but i have had great success with my male pygmy raising him the way i mentioned in my earlier post..and since a pygmy is so small they do drink a sm amount of water,mine licks the branches and the leaves and his poop is a consistant soft brown with a bit of white.healthy.just be sure to spray the leaves at least 3 times a day,and mist your cham with the same "warm" water a few times a day as well..dont soak the little gaffer in the process though lol,tiny drops of water and tiny nostrils..im sure you get it lol..ciao for now

Back
Top Bottom