My Pygmies Arrived!!!

JimO

Established Member
I received a group of pygmies today and was surprised to find what looks like a gravid female Spectral pygmy in with the Brevis.

My Brevi male Skrat started struttin' his stuff when I put them together.

Pygmy group 03-20-13a.jpg

Skrat 03-10-13b.jpg

Skrat 03-20-13a.jpg

The one on your middle/ringfinger needs special attention. By looking at his eye, I'd say he is either severely dehydrated, or he might be infected with a parasite. The others look good.

I assume they come from a WC shipment? It would be highly unlikely that there's a Rh. spectrum in the same shipment, since they come from the other side of the African continent (Cameroon etc.).
Could you post some photo's of this animal? Does it have blue eyes? I suspect it might be nchisiensis...

Thanks for pointing that out. They must have all been dehydrated because they drank for half an hour. The one you pointed out was especially thirsty. They were supposed to have been treated for parasites, but you know how that goes. I'm going to keep a close eye on them and I have a good local vet that helped me clear up an eye problem with the colorful male I already had, who is in the last two photos.

The one on your middle/ringfinger needs special attention. By looking at his eye, I'd say he is either severely dehydrated, or he might be infected with a parasite. The others look good.

I assume they come from a WC shipment? It would be highly unlikely that there's a Rh. spectrum in the same shipment, since they come from the other side of the African continent (Cameroon etc.).
Could you post some photo's of this animal? Does it have blue eyes? I suspect it might be nchisiensis...

I love the pics! They are cool. I had never seen a picture of a male pygmy color up like that (I'm relatively new to chameleons). :)

Thanks for sharing! :)

Could you post a picture of the one you suspect may be a gravid female Rh. spectrum? If it's in the picture of the ones on your hand, I assume that it is the one facing away from the camera; and if what we see on its side is a curving diagonal stripe, as opposed to the horizontal stripe on R. brevicaudatus, then it could indeed be a spectrum.

Yes, spectrums come from the other side of Africa. But if a spectrum had been living unnoticed in the back of the importer's enclosure, when the brevicaudatus arrived, you could get a mixed group.

Hey jim it looks to me that three of the ones on your finger are male. I'm pretty bad at sexing but it looks like some long tails. I know my male was lacking color like those before he passed away.

Congrats Jim! Aren't they awesome? I love pygs! I agree it looks like you have more males than females. The one on your pointer finger and the one facing away look female but the other three look pretty convincingly male to me...

Yeah, I ordered 4 females and 1 male and ended up with 3 male brevis, one female, and the female spectral.
Hey jim it looks to me that three of the ones on your finger are male. I'm pretty bad at sexing but it looks like some long tails. I know my male was lacking color like those before he passed away.

Nice lookin little crew! How do you house them? Are they all together or in separate cages? I'm interested in getting a few some time and I would prefer to house maybe 3 in one cage.

awesome jim. nice to see you branching out to other species. man, i thought i was busy w/ all my chams but your chams and frogs are going to keep you busy. :)

I'm housing them in planted vivaria similar to what I keep my dart frogs in. My plan was to end up with two males and four females and split them into trios. You can't keep males together in the size vivaria I have. Now that I have four males :rolleyes: one female and a female Spectral, I've had to split them up into several vivaria. Fortunately, I had several former froglet grow-out setups that I have been using to grow extra tropical plants that are basically 20-gal long aquariums already set up with lighting and ventilation.
Nice lookin little crew! How do you house them? Are they all together or in separate cages? I'm interested in getting a few some time and I would prefer to house maybe 3 in one cage.

Well, I had to reduce the number of frog vivaria to make room, and time, for the chams. Until a few months ago I had 22 vivaria set up with frogs. It is time consuming, but I love it.

awesome jim. nice to see you branching out to other species. man, i thought i was busy w/ all my chams but your chams and frogs are going to keep you busy. :)

Once I moved the female Spectral into her own vivarium, she seemed happier and lightened up in color. I can see why they are sometimes called blue-eyed pygmies. She's a beauty.

Spectral female 03-21-13.jpg

Back
Top Bottom