My Pfeffer's came today with a surprise!

Monties1982

Avid Member
I got a pair of Pfeffer's from Underground Reptiles in the mail today and got a pleasant surprise. When I opened the bag the female was in, it sounded like there was something rolling around, and after I took her out, I looked in the bag and saw there were 7 eggs in the bottom :D. I guess the stress of shipping triggered her to lay them. I'll get some pictures posted soon of my new arrivals.

I got a pair of Pfeffer's from Underground Reptiles in the mail today and got a pleasant surprise. When I opened the bag the female was in, it sounded like there was something rolling around, and after I took her out, I looked in the bag and saw there were 7 eggs in the bottom :D. I guess the stress of shipping triggered her to lay them. I'll get some pictures posted soon of my new arrivals.

i wonder, will the eggs be ok after being rolled around so much?

That is crazy lol hopefully they r good and the female didnt retain any because of the stress. Keep us updated and good luck with the eggs!

That is crazy lol hopefully they r good and the female didnt retain any because of the stress. Keep us updated and good luck with the eggs!
I would think that if the stress made her retain any eggs, she would have probably retained all the eggs, but I'll definitely keep an eye on her. As far as the eggs being rolled around, I think because they were just laid, it shouldn't hurt them. After all, they do get moved around while they're still inside the female since the female is moving around, so it must take some time after they are laid for the embryos to attach to the inside of the shell.

Here are the pics I said I'd post.

Here's the female

And here's the male

I was going to take some pictures of the pair of flying geckos I got too, but when I went to take one out, it jumped away and darted around the bottom of the cage whenever I tried to pick it up, and I didn't want to risk it getting loose. After all my chameleons, I'm not used to having a lizard that can actually run away from me :p.

Yeh don't buy from them just not good animals in general Iv been to thier store and let's just say it looks like they've starting keeping reptiles yesterday......just an opinion

I did notice the males neck seems swollen, but I came across the CiN journal #30 that they sell here on the forum and it has a picture of a male and female Pfeffer's on the cover. It's kind of hard to see in the small picture they show, but you can see the same pouch on the bottom of the neck of that male. Here's a link https://www.chameleonforums.com/bookstore/cin-journal-30/. I also have a picture of the sire of the last Pfeffer's I had and he is also the same way.

Here's the pic:

I'll probably set up a vet appointment and have them checked out, anyway. Luckily, the guy that wrote the book Understanding Reptile Parasites, Dr. Roger Klingenberg, runs a veterinary hospital here in town, so if there's anyone to see about treating them for parasites, he'd be the guy.

The swelling is a little bigger on your guy, but then again, only a vet can steer you in the right direction.
Be sure to have the fecals done!

I forgot to mention, they do look pretty cool. I actually saw the cage they were in before they were shipped.

The eggs look good!! Hopefully they hatch out for you in what? 4 months? The animals dont look too bad either.

The swelling in the neck/edema can be caused by many things. Over supplementation, low humidity/dehydration etc. What I would do is make sure your humidity is correct for the species, really high I am guessing;) and keep him very well watered without supplementing anything until it goes down. It could be phosphorus to calcium ratio is out of whack too but this is where I would start until the vet can narrow it down more for you.

Good luck!!

The female (who I named Pfritzi) seemed pretty thin to me, so I've been feeding her every day to get her weight up. I weighed her Thursday evening and she weighed 7.3g, then again this morning and she weighed 7.61g. The male looks like he is in better shape in general other than the swelling on his neck. He weighed 14.63g this morning.

Back
Top Bottom