My panther runs from water

It’s the strangest thing, he is five months old and I just took him to see an exotics vet. His eyes look a bit sunken in and I’ve never seen him drink water. According to the vet this behavior (along with closing eyes during the day) isn’t a sign of sickness unless he’s refusing to eat. Currently he eats a ton of Hornworms. Maybe I just have a chameleon that doesn’t like water and likes to close his eyes during the day. Has anyone faced a similar issue? Do your chameleons run from their automatic misting system?

I have a male Ambanja I've had for a year now with auto mister and he still runs from it. I've only ever seen him drink once or twice. Some just don't like getting wet. My other male Ambilobe could care less. He just sits in it and let's it happen.

Last edited:
Which one of your chameleons is this? You have several...right?
Yes, this is my Ybbb ambilobe. We just got him two weeks ago and his behavior has been strange so I took him into the vet. Apparently nothings wrong with him. The vet prescribed some eyedrops and said that I need to be more intentional about keeping him in the heat

The tongue should be able to shoot out all the way. If it doesn't the there is something going on. It could be an injury, an infection, a nutrient imbalance or maybe something else.

Shutting the eyes during the day is also an indication that something is going on.

Why did he give him eye drops if there's nothing going on? What are the drops called?

I asked for the eye drops, they’re called Ceragyn Eye Drops. He ended up prescribing some probiotics to my tamatave (because he’s take antibiotics in the past) which is a powder called Harrison’s Fauna Flora. Doc said that it wouldn’t hurt to give it to both of them. Nimbus is out climbing all around the vines today and seems to be opening his eyes a lot more. He does close them though, especially when he’s basking. I’ve yet to see him drink water

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom