My panther is always so dark almost black

Gitaxius

My panther chameleon is almost always black his temp at the top of the cage is about 84 and at the bottom it's like 74 maybe 78ish in the middle IDK what's wrong with him it's mostly when he's sitting on his vine basking and he does this a lot.

Are you sure your thermometer is accurate? I have 4 different thermometers and all 4 read differently? My variance on the 4 is 6 degrees.

Sounds like the problem should be the temp or he could be really stressed out but it would be strange if he always was like that. How warm is his basking spot?

sure let me see if I can get one

Attachments

• 1450815867597-1723211976.jpg
    1450815867597-1723211976.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 354
I'm sorry I'm kind of new to this I have everything he needs good food I water him a lot I gutload I supplement I just don't know why he's always like that

When I take him out of the cage or when he eats most of the time he turns his blue red green colors just when he sits in his cage he's always that color unless he's moving around a lot

I would get an infared temp gun and measure your temp. If you are using a dial thermometer those things can get way off. plus 9 months and above should have a basking range in high 80's- low 90's.

When I take him out of the cage or when he eats most of the time he turns his blue red green colors just when he sits in his cage he's always that color unless he's moving around a lot
mine is the same way she is always dark when she is in her viv when she is out she turns her normal pretty green colors.. i alwys wonder if she hates her viv?

Turning dark while basking how they absorb heat better... just like a black pavement in the sun will burn your foot compared to white. Totally normal

Back
Top Bottom