My panthee chameleon is acting weird help!!!!!

Hello I have a around 1 1/2 year old ambelobian Panther chameleon. He is in the biggest reptibreeze cage I could find. I have a hydro fogger to keep it humid I have a misting system that keeps him well hydrated. I use a sunbright for heat and UVA/UVB. I also have a heat lamp going. If any other info is needed feel free to ask.
Now what is happening is he keeps second guessing his moves almost as if he can't decide where to put his feel and looks like he is shaking. He also doesn't climb on the side of the cage as well any more. He really likes to get out of the cage now if I am to feed him right after he eats he will run out straight to me to play. Idk what to think about it and im hoping it's not MBD PLEASE HELP. Any advice?

The best way to get help, and for others to try to help you figure out what may be wrong, is to fill out the help questionnaire. I'll copy and paste the questions at the bottom of my post.

A few things that stand out to me:
I've never heard of the bulb you're using, and wonder if it's giving out the right type of UVB rays and what strength it is. I'd replace it with a reptisun or arcadia bulb, as those are designed with reptiles in mind.

You don't mention what supplements, if any, that you use. The right vitamins and minerals are really important for these guys. A lot of people recommend and use Calcium No D3 for nearly every feeding, Calcium with D3 2x's a month, and a multivitamin 2x's a month.

Questionnaire:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Please post some recent photos of your chameleon.
What do you gutload/feed the insects with?
What supplements do you use and how often for each?

Hello!

This most definitely doesn't seem like the symptoms of MBD but your chameleon is still rather young and can get MBD as MBD only occurs in young chameleons that their bones are still forming. I've never heard of the UV light your using so I'm going to recommend the ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 if you have one of the largest reptibreezes or the 5.0 version, I recommend the strip light since if gives of UV Rays more thoroughly in the enclosure.

Best of luck,
Richard

enclosure

My panther Marty is about 1 1/2 years old now and I am keeping him in a reptibreeze cage 24x24x48 inches the biggest one I have the back plexi glasses to help with humidity. I have a solar-bright 100w light bulb. I have a monsoon misting system that goes off every 2 hours for 120 seconds and even sometimes give Marty a little hand spraying when I think he looks thirsty. His basking spot ranges between 90-101 I'm checking this with a digital thermostat that also checks humidity which I don't trust sometimes it acts up and I have an analog one stuck on the side of the cage in the middle portion that reads 70-77or so depending I also check the basking spot with a inferred gun that usually reads about 95-100 in basking, and an ambient temp of 73 -80 throughout the cage. Humidity on my analog reads in the 70%while on the digital it ranges mostly reading 40% but I don't know if I trust ether. I have a humidifier That I run all of the time turned about half way up. And he is very good at eating I dust every feeding with calcium wihout d3 and then i dust ehh not on point with multi vitamin a once or so a week and then about 1-2 times with calcium with d3 a week rep-cal. and feed him gut loaded crickets and meal worms a mixture of the two and would love some other feeding options, now i do not feed him everyday because i heard that was bad but mostly every day depending. I usual leave some fruits in there for him and haven't seen him take to any yet. I have had him for a year and a half now. If any other questions about the enclosure feel free to ask. and i play with him let him out to roam everyday if he wants too.

Attachments

• IMG_5179.jpg
    IMG_5179.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_5036.jpg
    IMG_5036.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 258
I have a solar-bright 100w light bulb.

I'm not familiar with this bulb. How long have you been using it?

I dust every feeding with calcium wihout d3 and then i dust ehh not on point with multi vitamin a once or so a week and then about 1-2 times with calcium with d3 a week rep-cal.

You are overdosing him with vitamins. You should be dusting with PLAIN calcium (no added vit D3) every day, dusting with calcium WITH vit D3 twice a month, and dusting with a herp multivitamin twice a month.

and feed him gut loaded crickets and meal worms a mixture of the two and would love some other feeding options,

Try Dubia roaches, silkworms, hornworms, blue bottle flies. You can get all of these from insect suppliers. Check our forum's sponsor listings.

now i do not feed him everyday because i heard that was bad but mostly every day depending.

I usual leave some fruits in there for him and haven't seen him take to any yet.

The majority of panthers don't eat fruit or veggies.

I have had him for a year and a half now. If any other questions about the enclosure feel free to ask. and i play with him let him out to roam everyday if he wants too.

How are his toe nails? Sometimes they can wear them down by climbing on the screen, or if they accidentally break one it can hurt or become infected. Does he have any shed stuck on the bottoms of his feet? He might be second guessing his movements if he has "paper skin" slippers. :) I hope it's an easy fix, and he feels better soon.

You can try misting him a little more, to try to help get it off. Or, if he's cooperative, you can try using a moist qtip to gently remove it if it's loose. I'd try misting him more, first.

Back
Top Bottom