My new wild-caught veiled...he shows self-awareness via the mirror test

I think "southern twang" may be a good way to put it! Otherwise, even in everyday dialect, not even after a few drinks, y'all is very common here. I kinda compare it to "mum" as for "mom" in the US. I like it, I respect it, I like to see it as something different compared to what I'm used to....

Sort of like how we all call each other dude and bro here in California.

I may be a weirdo hippy but I still say dude and bro here in Texas! Haha! I'm bad about saying " this dude..." It's all relative. It's all about quirk and dialect I think. You may catch me saying "this dude said..about Chams" does that make my question or inquirery less important if I'm searching for advice? I'd truely hope not.....

Just kidding. We don't do that.

I don't think being tacky about questions or dialect is constructive. I think acceptiting those who are here to gain knowledge is better

I was just making a little joke.

People assume that because I'm from California I live on the beach, surf daily and know at least one famous person.

The reality is that I live in one of the largest agricultural areas of the state (and world)...the raisin capitol of the world is actually two towns over.

More cows and corn in my county than people. So that's why the dude/bro joke. I see more actual cowboys than surfers. But I still say dude.

People assume that because I'm from California I live on the beach, surf daily and know at least one famous person.

The reality is that I live in one of the largest agricultural areas of the state (and world)...the raisin capitol of the world is actually two towns over.

More cows and corn in my county than people. So that's why the dude/bro joke. I see more actual cowboys than surfers. But I still say dude.
You don't know Matthew Mccauneughy?!? (I had to guess the spelling, spell check wouldn't let me go on!!) that's lame dude, haha! I figured you'd at least met him!!!! :(:LOL: Spell check is a beast....

I have family in California that give me the same look so I see what you're saying! I think especially being born and raised in Texas it's a very common word used and I use it myself. Even in my professional life(working in a diagnostic eye clinic with 3 ophthalmologists and 1 optometrist) nearly everyone uses it and we think nothing of it. I can totally understand why others hear it though and think "eh" but it's common place here! :):rolleyes:(y) I did like your post though and I'm curious where you're from? So many on here are from all over, it's interesting to hear where everyone's from...:)

I'm Canadian. Albertan to be specific - so the "canadianest" of Canadian accents come from here. There's usually an eh and a sorry in all of my sentences. ;)

Most of my family lives in Fresno, Ca. The rest lives in the Madera Ranchos suberbs I think? Not really Madera, but in the Ranchos?? If that makes sense...lol

I'm Canadian. Albertan to be specific - so the "canadianest" of Canadian accents come from here. There's usually and eh and a sorry in all of my sentences. ;)
I like it. I wish I knew other phrases to ask about! Like "mum" and "eh". What else that you've noticed??

People assume that since I'm from Texas I go to work and everywhere else on a horse. I actually drive a 2015 Toyota Corolla. I can't tell you how many people I've had ask me where my horse is, and what I "ride to work". I'm like, a Toyota Corolla! What do you drive?!?

I like it. I wish I knew other phrases to ask about! Like "mum" and "eh". What else that you've noticed??

The major thing is how you spell a bunch of things wrong ;) like colour, honour, favourite etc...

I've never travelled to the states but I've been told they call things by silly names, like calling pop "soda".

I'm clearly a little Canadian biased.

Oh and Dubia are illegal :(

The major thing is how you spell a bunch of things wrong ;) like colour, honour, favourite etc...

I've never travelled to the states but I've been told they call things by silly names, like calling pop "soda".

Well, we spell it like color, favorite, honor...soda is a very broad term. You need to specify coke, dr. Pepper, or maybe Sprite? I love it! That's the difference. I love it!

Way back in the day I wont say how far back we used to have a soda fountain in our drug stores so that is where that little word came from. And in the south where some of my family live (Tennessee) they call pop dope go figure...?

And that's all relative. From my perspective, you spell things wrong. That's the beauty of being human where you are. I can't tell you that you're wrong when I've been raised differently. Can you tell me I'm wrong? That's the simple beauty of being human....

Back
Top Bottom