My new velied little punk, Lars

Steve-O-666

Hi everyone! :wideyed:

Just thought I'd post a little introduction for myself and Lars as we're new here!

I'm Ste, 30yo from the UK
I've been into reptiles since I was a little kid and used to own a reptile breeding company with my dad.
I've loved chameleons ever since I was old enough to know what they were and its took me until now to get the research and confidence in myself to take one of these amazing creatures on as one of my own!

And this is Lars! A 10 month old Veiled Chameleon who was adopted on sunday from a family who's kids had lost interest and therefore had no time to care for him. He's settled in very well and is a bright chilled out little dude who I'm just absolutely obsessed with!

Heres a few pictures of him, and one with me the mrs and him on the drive home on sunday!
20190908_182255.jpg
20190908_182255.jpg
20190908_182255.jpg
20190908_175356.jpg
20190908_151309.jpg

Welcome to the forums Steve-O.

Might want to read over this care sheet to ensure this venture into Cham-keeping goes smoothly for all three of you.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

May I ask where you got him?
Thanks very much!

Thanks for the link, I have indeed had a thorough read through the care sheet before I collect him on sunday.

Sure I collected him from a family in Cannock in the UK.

Thanks very much!

Thanks for the link, I have indeed had a thorough read through the care sheet before I collect him on sunday.

Sure I collected him from a family in Cannock in the UK.
Awesome, so you have some serious upgrades waiting for him at your place?

If you were interested, we do have a process for reviewing the husbandry of new members to ensure they weren’t misled by the staggering amount of bad info floating around the net.

This process is not required but highly recommended, up to you.

And again welcome to the forums.

Awesome, so you have some serious upgrades waiting for him at your place?

If you were interested, we do have a process for reviewing the husbandry of new members to ensure they weren’t misled by the staggering amount of bad info floating around the net.

This process is not required but highly recommended, up to you.

And again welcome to the forums.

Haha indeed! He's already had half my paycheck spent on him in just under 3 days. The wife is not best pleased but he's had a rough time so why not!

Oh right that sounds like a great idea! I would be very interested in making sure I'm getting things right! How do I go about that?

Haha indeed! He's already had half my paycheck spent on him in just under 3 days. The wife is not best pleased but he's had a rough time so why not!

Oh right that sounds like a great idea! I would be very interested in making sure I'm getting things right! How do I go about that?
Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

Love how this ends a thread sometimes lol.

@Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, 10 months old, male. Been in my care for 4 days
◦ Handling - once a day for a few minutes
◦ Feeding - locusts and roaches rotated, 4 a day with morio worm or 2 if he desires. Locusts are gut loaded with kale, carrot, apple and mango rotater. Fresh dish of the same left in enclosure daily
◦ Supplements - Komodo multivit, D3 and Calcium. Dusted every other feed along with fruit and veg in enclosure dusted
◦ Watering - dripper plant left on 24/7 and misted 3 times a day for a 3 minutes each session. Have saw cham drinking numerous times from the dripper plant.

◦ Fecal Description - solid but soft brown with a small white solid but soft of the same shape sort of on top. Has not been tested for parasites

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - full screen terrarium. 2ftx2ftx4ft
◦ Lighting - Exo Terra Basking spot 220-240V 100W in Komodo ceramic socket and shade around 4in from top of cage . Arcadia Reptile d3 UVB 12% tube light around 4 inches from top of cage. Lights are turned on around 7am turned off around 10pm
◦ Temperature - Basking spot at 30-32c, cave floor 25-27c dropping to around 20 overnight. Measured with 2 analogue thermometers top and bottom and opposite sides

◦ Humidity - humidity top end is around 60% and bottom end around 35% maintained with methods above for watering.
◦ Plants - one live potted plant, I forget which type, but was checked against the list of cham safe plants when searching the local garden centre
◦ Placement - cage is located on a large book shelf in the corner of the living room, no fans, vents or windows. Top of the cage is around 5ft from the floor of the room.
◦ Location - Birmingham, England

Current Problem - N/A

Attachments

• 20190911_073654.jpg
    20190911_073654.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 20190911_073659.jpg
    20190911_073659.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190911_073738.jpg
    20190911_073738.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 129
Welcome Steve to the forum, lots of good helpful people here and more information than you would ever need.

Looks like a great start, you are very lucky to have easy access to Arcadia products! I would agree that the UVB will probably need to be moved closer but the only way to really tell is with a solar meter. You are aiming for UV Index of 3-6 at basking site. Cheers!

locusts and roaches rotated, 4 a day with morio worm or 2 if he desires. Locusts are gut loaded with kale, carrot, apple and mango rotater. Fresh dish of the same left in enclosure daily

Typically adults are fed this amount of food every other day, recommend you doing the same. Also recommended diversifying your gutload more or start using a commercial one like bug burger or cricket crack.

◦ Supplements - Komodo multivit, D3 and Calcium. Dusted every other feed along with fruit and veg in enclosure dusted
Ditch all those and start him on Repashy loD it is an all in one supplement. Put it on every feeder every time.
Repashy Calcium Plus LoD 500g https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TKPMFNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1BxEDb6XX06VK

◦ Watering - dripper plant left on 24/7 and misted 3 times a day for a 3 minutes each session. Have saw cham drinking numerous times from the dripper plant.
Ditch the dripping plant all together ASAP, they are bacterial time bombs. Invest in a MistKing, worth every penny.

UVB should be about 6 inches max above the screen top since it’s 12%, but a solormeter is definitely recommended.

Typically adults are fed this amount of food every other day, recommend you doing the same. Also recommended diversifying your gutload more or start using a commercial one like bug burger or cricket crack.

Ditch all those and start him on Repashy loD it is an all in one supplement. Put it on every feeder every time.
Repashy Calcium Plus LoD 500g https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TKPMFNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1BxEDb6XX06VK

Ditch the dripping plant all together ASAP, they are bacterial time bombs. Invest in a MistKing, worth every penny.

UVB should be about 6 inches max above the screen top since it’s 12%, but a solormeter is definitely recommended.

Awesome bro! Thanks for the info! I'll get those ordered now and source a solarmeter to check out my UVB levels.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom