My new Jayapura GTP

Calavera

Established Member
Here is a photo of "Beryl", my new Jayapura M. viridis. I was wondering if anyone else here owns or breeds these beautiful animals? I hope you all enjoy the photo.:D

-Cala-

Oops, I tried posting a photo on my brother's laptop, but I guess it didn't work. :( I will try to post a photo of him as soon as I get on my own computer.

beryl4.jpg

Last edited:
very nice looking.... I've always liked how these pythons went through their color morphs as they progress in age and thought about getting one some day but really never did any real research on them. How handleable are these snakes? or are they mostly just a show peice.

I got a red phase female Jaya for christmas! I put up some pictures on my profile gallery.

very nice looking.... I've always liked how these pythons went through their color morphs as they progress in age and thought about getting one some day but really never did any real research on them. How handleable are these snakes? or are they mostly just a show peice.

This is my first GTP, so I am still learning a lot about them. From all the research I have done, I have found that they should not be handled a lot as neonates, and that it is best to handle them as adults. I have several friends who breed them and they have all told me that they calm down drastically after the first 2 or so years. As for my litle guy, he starte striking me as soon as I took him out of his shipping cup!:eek: I have gotten to hold several yearling and adults GTP's and have never gotten bit, so I think like most reptiles, their disposition depends entirely on the individual, and also upon how often a keeper handles them. Hopefully some more chondro keepers can chime in and give more input.

-Cala-

Jhappe,

Your Jaya is beautiful! If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase him from? How has your experience with him been so far? My little man ate his first fuzzy mouse yesterday, so I am very relieved! Definitely keep me posted on his progress and I will try and do the same. Also, are you on the Morelia viridis forums (MVF)? If so, I will see you there!

-Cala-

Haha, I am such a cluts at times! I can now see from the photo, that you purchased him from Frantz. You are for sure going to be pleased with him!

No I havent heard of that forum but ill have to check it out. Yea mine bit me quite a few times out of the cup but it doesnt really hurt at all, just a little pinch. After a couple days of coaxing her off the branch and handleing for about 3 to 5 mins she hasnt struck at me at all(the number of strikes went down each day ha). I think once they recognize your smell and realize biting you wont work they seem to chill out. This is my first chondro too and im not an expert but at least its worked for me so far. My friend ordered a yellow one along with me and he is too scared to get his out ha

i have a blue spotted phase of the normal GTP and the "average" colored one. as aggressive as they are, i think they are soo cool. like a veiled chameleon.

Yup, Jhappe, thats the forum. You will find it extremely helpful! The people there are very nice and helpful (much like all the people here):) I got my little guy from Precision Reptile Labs. I was extremely pleased with what I got and would recommend them to anyone in the market for a GTP! What is your enclosure approach? I am doing the "tub method" and am finding it quite easy. He ate a fuzzy mouse the day after IU got him and has been going strong. Kent, your GTP is awesome looking--tame as a kitten :). Is he an aru type?

-Cala-

Yea im doing the tub enclosure as well, at least until i can get a better looking one setup where I can control the temp and humidity as well as i can with the tub. Seems to be workin great so far, shes already eaten three times(frozen pinks) since i got her(about a week before christmas)

How big is he and how often do you feed him? My guy is tiny and he is eating thawed fuzzies. If you find that your little guy is eating several pinkies a week, you might want to try feeding him fuzzies. My little guy is very small and was able to eat a fuzzie with no trouble. Just some "food for thought". :p

-cala-

Back
Top Bottom