My new Free Range and Enclosure

Ok, I finally finished the second phase of the construction of Rocko's free range and enclosure. Be sure to view my albums for complete details.
full

Here's the story....
I was planning on getting a new chameleon when I came up with the concept for the enclosure. Originally, I was planning on getting either a Jackson or a panther chameleon as a baby but then fate intervened and I ended up with Rocko. Half way through the construction of the enclosure I found Rocko through these forums and he was needing a new home. I had always planned on keeping the new chameleon in its enclosure with a humidifier, mister, and fans to dry out the enclosure once the misting cycles were complete. (The mist king would come on for 2 minutes, wet the enclosure for about an hour or so, then small computer fans would turn on and cycle air through the enclosure to dry everything out before the next misting cycle.) If you do a search on the forums for 'New Cage Concept' you can see the complete descriptions of the original cage.

There was but one problem to the whole construction of the cage....Rocko was free ranged his entire life!

At this point I didn't know anything about free range. I did think it really unfair to adopt a two year old panther chameleon who had been free ranged its entire life and then stick it in an enclosure for all eternity. :-(

So mid construction on the project I was forced to revamp the original concepts and designs. I now had to provide a free range area for him to live in. By altering the cage some I was able to include nice climbing branches on both sides of the cage for him to explore out on. The computer fans and humidifier were never installed in the enclosure because I knew Rocko wouldn't be spending too much time inside of the actual cage itself, rather he would be hanging around it, going in to drink and heat up/light up when he needed.

So now that you guys know the background here's some details on the build.

the details:

It started with the Drainage.
The enclosure portion was made around a Tupperware container that I cut and installed a brass fitting in one corner. This Tupperware would become the drainage system. By small blocks of wood under the Tupperware I was able to lean it so that the water would run into the brass fitting that connected to a tube that then pours the drain water into a waste reservoir. By silicone gluing the brass fitting to the Tupperware I was able to get a watertight seal so there isn't any leaks.

full

full

The Dimensions:
Since the Tupperware drainage was the starting point of the project I had to build the walls around the size of the Tupperware. The size is 2'x2'x48'. I used 1x3/4 steaks to frame up the walls. PVC hardwire screen was used on the two sides and a plexiglass door was hinged and installed. The plexiglass was silicone glued to the door frame. The ceiling is wire screen and everything was painted and sealed with a waterproof sealant.

full

full

The Lights:
Two 18" exo-terra 5.0uvb lamps and one 150watt zoomed spot light are utilized. I put a dimmer switch on the 150watt spot light to bring down the intensity of the lamp to achieve the desired 90degree basking spot. I opted to do it this way rather than using a 75w bulb because the 150w has a wider spread of heat/light area. Rocko is a full grown male and need more surface area than the 75w bulb would allow for...

The Base:
Underneath the enclosure is the brains of the operation. There are two water reservoirs, one for clean water, one for waste water. The mistking, timers, and dimmers are all underneath the enclosure. I will be adding some shelves inside the base soon so I can store some other odds in ends in there.

full

full

The cycles:
7:00am UVB lamps come on
7:45 UVA basking spot comes on
8:00 2min mist king spray
10:00 2min misting
12:00, 2:00, 4:00, 5:00 misting sprays of 2mins
7:00 UVA basking turns off
8:00 UVB lamps turn off

full

full

full

All in all I think I spent about $250.00 on materials and supplies. If you have questions feel free to drop me a line anytime!

Last edited by a moderator:
I originally had a hibiscus in the enclosure but he didn't seem to like it much so I took it out and replaced it with a few smaller leafy vines. He loves it this way much better than before! Now I have two beautiful hibiscus just sitting on my patio...

I originally had a hibiscus in the enclosure but he didn't seem to like it much so I took it out and replaced it with a few smaller leafy vines. He loves it this way much better than before! Now I have two beautiful hibiscus just sitting on my patio...

Thats interesting. I wonder why he doesn't like them.

Oh if you don't mind me asking, did you get Rocko from Donna?:)

I did! Donna is amazing and really knows her stuff! Rocko isn't really a true chameleon, he's more or less a puppy dog trapped in a chameleon's body. He loves to be handled, loves to climb on me and play on my desk or at the window while I work. He is unlike any other chameleon I have EVER met!

I did! Donna is amazing and really knows her stuff! Rocko isn't really a true chameleon, he's more or less a puppy dog trapped in a chameleon's body. He loves to be handled, loves to climb on me and play on my desk or at the window while I work. He is unlike any other chameleon I have EVER met!

Thats great to hear you enjoy him!

Jon after our many phone conversations about Rocko, I am sure he is where he needs to be and thriving. He "is" a puppy dog as you and I have discussed and very sociable. I think a free ranged chameleon is a happy chameleon and it's best to do it on a small level when they are young and go from there. Rocko has never fired up from anything even his own image in the mirror. He is fearless and trusting and as long as you keep up the good work and watch out for his best interest, he will do fine. I really do miss my Rocko but happy he is with you :).

Neat set up. Him sure he will be very happy.

Donna, Im glad you were able to find a good home for Rocko, he looks well cared for.

Rocko's looking great as always. I'm glad his new keeper is providing a free range for him. I free range my guys and they love it.

That looks really nice! I like the pleiglass front and screen sides. The sides, are they the plastic stuff in a roll from the hardware store? I had been thinking of using the coated wire, but that material looked easier to work with. How are you liking that, is it sturdy enough?

That looks awesome! Very cool!

Edit - The only thing I might suggest for consideration is making one of the mistings (one of the early ones, probably) much longer. I notice that with my chameleons, they've been much happier when they have access to one nice long "shower" where they can sit under the spray, wash out their eyes, and drink. And then the rest of the day they're more than fine drinking from the droplets on leaves left after a quick 3-5 minute misting. I might increase at least one of them to something like 5-10 minutes, to let him have that nice long shower moment. My first misting of the day is 30 mins at 8am, another 3 minute one at 2pm, and a 15 minute one at 5pm - I go through loads of water unfortunately, but they'll all happily sit under the water nearly the entire half hour it's running!

Last edited:
It's super easy to work with as it doesn't have a metal wire core inside of the plastic. In other words, its not pvc coated, its just pvc. Its plenty sturdy enough for anything but you can't put your lights on top of it as it will melt, thus why I did metal wire for the top of the cage. I used it for my sugar glider cage also and have been very successful with it.

It's super easy to work with as it doesn't have a metal wire core inside of the plastic. In other words, its not pvc coated, its just pvc. Its plenty sturdy enough for anything but you can't put your lights on top of it as it will melt, thus why I did metal wire for the top of the cage. I used it for my sugar glider cage also and have been very successful with it.

Awesome, that saves me some trouble, thanks. :)

the plexiglass front door I got from lowe's too for under 20.00 a sheet. I only used half the sheet so I have enough for another enclosure! :D I just don't have room for another chameleon in my home...
dimensions
The plexiglass or acrylic is only 1/8 inch thick and lowe's even cut it to my door dimensions when I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom