My new and improved set up!!

LibbyRhiann

I recently posted on here and got advice from some great people - I’m uploading a picture of my new set up! I know I need to get some more plants but it was all they had at my local garden centre! They’ve got a delivery on Friday so I will get a few more then!

I also purchased this digital thermometer/hygrometer, can anyonr please advise on where I should place this in my cage for the best readings? I have uploaded pictures of it! thank you!
E17689FC-B212-4986-AD2B-0935F3530AC4.jpeg

B6C07405-B063-488D-9B3C-4007997A2729.jpeg

I recently posted on here and got advice from some great people - I’m uploading a picture of my new set up! I know I need to get some more plants but it was all they had at my local garden centre! They’ve got a delivery on Friday so I will get a few more then!

I also purchased this digital thermometer/hygrometer, can anyonr please advise on where I should place this in my cage for the best readings? I have uploaded pictures of it! thank you!View attachment 277382
View attachment 277383
So much better! Now just remind me about a few things. Your using a T5 with a 6% bulb correct?

FOr the probe you want that below the heat fixture hooked to the basking branch there. I use zip ties to lightly secure mine. Keep in mind try not to spray it directly or your hygrometer will give you false readings until it dries out.

Looks great. I would add a few more horizontal branches. Much better though. How far away is the highest stick from your UVB? Also, you can find small plants that you can put closer to the top in the corners where it’s a little bare. If you look at @Beman cages you can see examples.

So much better! Now just remind me about a few things. Your using a T5 with a 6% bulb correct?

FOr the probe you want that below the heat fixture hooked to the basking branch there. I use zip ties to lightly secure mine. Keep in mind try not to spray it directly or your hygrometer will give you false readings until it dries out.

yes PRO T5 with 6% UV-B.
And I’m not sure what you mean? The actual arrow on the basking branch?

Looks great. I would add a few more horizontal branches. Much better though. How far away is the highest stick from your UVB? Also, you can find small plants that you can put closer to the top in the corners where it’s a little bare. If you look at @Beman cages you can see examples.

Thank you! That’s no problem I can definitely add more branches and plants! I went off the Veiled tested sheet and it was hard to find the plants and didn’t want to buy anything that would be toxic to him! I haven’t stopped since I finished work setting him up lol! It’s 11pm here! ? I’m not sure how far the branch is, would probably say about 8 inches maybe? I think I am going to add another branch on top of that so he is slightly higher!

Thank you! That’s no problem I can definitely add more branches and plants! I went off the Veiled tested sheet and it was hard to find the plants and didn’t want to buy anything that would be toxic to him! I haven’t stopped since I finished work setting him up lol! It’s 11pm here! ? I’m not sure how far the branch is, would probably say about 8 inches maybe? I think I am going to add another branch on top of that so he is slightly higher!
Perfect. With the 6% UVB you want it 9inch away. Pothos, is great.

So get a ruler and go by measured inches directly below where you have the fixture. You need a branch 9-10 inches away not closer. If you have other areas of the enclosure not below the UVB and not below the heat you can put a branch higher though if you want. The main focused uvb is below the fixture though and spreads about 1-2 inches out from the sides of the bulb.
Per the probe yes what ever is the actual probe for that one you want attached at the branch below the heat to get an accurate basking temp reading. If it says 80 then about 2 inches higher it will be roughly 2-3 degrees warmer. Remember no hotter then 85. Range for basking is 80-85.

So get a ruler and go by measured inches directly below where you have the fixture. You need a branch 9-10 inches away not closer. If you have other areas of the enclosure not below the UVB and not below the heat you can put a branch higher though if you want. The main focused uvb is below the fixture though and spreads about 1-2 inches out from the sides of the bulb.
Per the probe yes what ever is the actual probe for that one you want attached at the branch below the heat to get an accurate basking temp reading. If it says 80 then about 2 inches higher it will be roughly 2-3 degrees warmer. Remember no hotter then 85. Range for basking is 80-85.

Yeah I measured and the branch is 9 inches away, I’ve set the thermometer up and currently I’m at exactly 80f and humidity of 49%, so I might just adjust that to make it a little higher, just to make sure I’m within range and it doesn’t drop below.

Yeah I measured and the branch is 9 inches away, I’ve set the thermometer up and currently I’m at exactly 80f and humidity of 49%, so I might just adjust that to make it a little higher, just to make sure I’m within range and it doesn’t drop below.
Leave it there. You want to see what the range is for the next few days. And you do not want the branch closer then 9 inches for the uvb. I can't tell if there is a branch below where the UVB is but make sure that the UVB is directly above one of the branches.

Leave it there. You want to see what the range is for the next few days. And you do not want the branch closer then 9 inches for the uvb. I can't tell if there is a branch below where the UVB is but make sure that the UVB is directly above one of the branches.

Okay no problem and yes there is a branch below the uvb 10 inches down. I have attached a clearer picture if it helps show it better!
1242B8FC-2B7B-44EC-A2A2-7D478C6462BE.jpeg
picture if that helps show it better!
C844CA02-CAC3-4160-BBC8-D41D89BC5B38.jpeg

Perfect. So test basking temps for a few days. Don't fuss with it until you know exactly where it is sitting at unless it is above 85 degrees.

great will do!

also he ate today (thank god) I gave him 5 hoppers, but he was still after more, I feel super cruel and like I’m starving him ☹️ but I was told this is enough for his age, is it definitely necessary to miss a day of feeding?

great will do!

also he ate today (thank god) I gave him 5 hoppers, but he was still after more, I feel super cruel and like I’m starving him ☹ but I was told this is enough for his age, is it definitely necessary to miss a day of feeding?
If I am remembering correctly he is 10 months old. So yes he needs to be switched to 5 feeders every other day then at 1 year he has to be reduced to 3 feeders every other day.
Your not starving him. Your actually helping him live a longer healthier life without weight issues and the complications that come from them. I know it is hard but it is necessary.

If I am remembering correctly he is 10 months old. So yes he needs to be switched to 5 feeders every other day then at 1 year he has to be reduced to 3 feeders every other day.
Your not starving him. Your actually helping him live a longer healthier life without weight issues and the complications that come from them. I know it is hard but it is necessary.

It just sounds like such a little amount it’s crazy! But no problem I won’t feed him tomorrow then, if he hates me I will blame you lol ? thank you very much for all your help I feel so much better about everything and he definitely is happier!

It just sounds like such a little amount it’s crazy! But no problem I won’t feed him tomorrow then, if he hates me I will blame you lol ? thank you very much for all your help I feel so much better about everything and he definitely is happier!
LOL trust me I understand. I have 3... It is mentally difficult to grasp that we should not feed them tons as they mature. But trust me you do not want an overweight boy.

LOL trust me I understand. I have 3... It is mentally difficult to grasp that we should not feed them tons as they mature. But trust me you do not want an overweight boy.

haha I know definitely I just want to give him whatever he wants? thanks again for all your help!

haha I know definitely I just want to give him whatever he wants? thanks again for all your help!
Trust me I do too... My 2 year old is 20 grams too heavy. It is much harder to have them on a diet and try to get them to drop weight. Better to just do the right amounts to begin with and not have that stress.
your welcome. Have a nice night. :)

Back
Top Bottom