My mom says I need to get rid of my chameleon, what to do?

Cornholio

I got my chameleon less than a month ago and it's coming up to the point where I can no longer return him to Petco for the money back. He has an eye infection and feeding him is burning a hole in my wallet. Any ideas on what I should do? My mom obviously wants me to get the money back if or when I do get rid of him. I don't want to get rid of him. Help

You could buy 1000 crickets offline for $13-$20 and then try to breed them, did you take him back to petco and tell them he has an eye infection if it's less than 30days they usually take them to the vet for free for you.

This is something like the third time you have made a thread saying this. It sounds like you don't have the resources or support to care for a chameleon. They can be very expensive animals - that's why it's a "hobby", not a "pet". If your parents aren't willing or able to help you, it's not a good situation for your chameleon, especially if he is already sick. I assume if you can't afford his insects (and crickets only is not a healthy diet, you need to be cycling other insects in for variety), that they will not take him to the vet either. Return him to petco before the deadline.

This is why Ive been a proponent of care sheets having a section of recuring costs associated with the recurring cost of ownership.

I believe that you already know what you need to do. prolonging the issue is only going to make the issue worse for you, the chameleon, and your parents.

This is something like the third time you have made a thread saying this. It sounds like you don't have the resources or support to care for a chameleon. They can be very expensive animals - that's why it's a "hobby", not a "pet". If your parents aren't willing or able to help you, it's not a good situation for your chameleon, especially if he is already sick. I assume if you can't afford his insects (and crickets only is not a healthy diet, you need to be cycling other insects in for variety), that they will not take him to the vet either. Return him to petco before the deadline.
And the next time you decide you want an exotic pet....think it out a bit better. You learned a hard lesson this time. I just hope your cham ends up in caring hands. No animal is disposable just because it ends up being inconvenient. Until your parents are no longer supporting you they need to agree to any pets you want.

I got my chameleon less than a month ago and it's coming up to the point where I can no longer return him to Petco for the money back. He has an eye infection and feeding him is burning a hole in my wallet. Any ideas on what I should do? My mom obviously wants me to get the money back if or when I do get rid of him. I don't want to get rid of him. Help

So what's the update? Did you take it back to petco or wherever, did you contact the rescue, or did you take it to a vet?

You have people here willing to help but you need to be responsible and keep people posted as to the outcome.

Like you said... time is of the essence here.

My mom says I need to get rid of my chameleon, what to do?

Figure out what animal she hates, and tell her you want to get one of those instead. ;):ROFLMAO:

No, but in all seriousness.... you probably need to find a good home for your chameleon. Obviously your parents are unwilling to help you or support you, and that can have devastating consequences for your cham. It also needs to be eating things other than crickets. Variety is a key part in making sure a chameleon lives a long and happy live. It sounds like you are unable to provide the necessary things...... Do what is best and find it a new owner.

It's not a cheap hobby, I have to admit I got a little overexcited and the breeders in the UK would o ly sell pairs as they usually get stuck with the females so my £500 set up went through the roof, the shop I went to sprays his 4 times a day and I can't tie myself to a vivarium 4 times daily for the next 7 years so after misters and controllers my £500 has become £1500, feeding is currently £18 a week which is ridiculous ( I could keep 2 dogs for less), i am fortunate that I can afford it so it's not really an issue but I can sympathise with the poster about buying with your heart and not your head.
However it's the animals welfare that must be the priority over all and you need to realise that, if you can't afford to give the animal the proper care it requires then I can only echo what the other posters have already said, if petco wont pay the vets bills and you can't afford to look after it then either return it to the store or as suggested the rescue place who will give it the attention it deserves. It's not easy to swallow your pride but we all do things without thinking about it properly on occasion and what's important is how you deal with those things afterwards, you can always replace your cham a little further down the line in your life when you are in a better situated to care for it

Back
Top Bottom