My Meller's like lower basking temp

pinocchiosmommy

I'm soooo happy! He's eating again today! I got him 12 days ago and he was eating great. Then his eating habits have slowly decreased. Then stopped for two days. Then yesterday I noticed him trying to climb down even though his basking temp was only 78. So today I lowered the room temp, so his basking temp is about 75, and he is eating everything again. I'm so happy. This is my 1st chameleon. I hope I can give him a happy and healthy home, but wondering if I can handle the stress.

Not ripping on you, however, but I would have chosen a different cham as your first. Melleri are different than most species, are more susceptible to stress and their husbandry can be varied depending on what region they come from (which is the unfortunate thing about having a WC - you don't know where they came from). Please do your homework on them - there are great resources such as melleridiscovery.com and several threads on here. Or, if you should have any questions, please don't hesitate to send a PM.

I will say that they are and have been my most favorite species to work with. They have amazing personalities!! :D

Get him a bigger cage so you can still provide a high basking temp and the cooler temp as well.

I keep a number of melleri- sometimes they like/need to heat up. They to cool down as well, as you have found.

I know that he's not my a good first choice. I have been worried to death. I got him at a reptile show. I was going to get a veil, and on the way to them I seen the melleri. The woman that was selling him said "He's heartier than a veiled, and very easy to care for them". Then when I got home I started doing research. I figured out she lied. I have been a nervous wreck ever since. I found the melleri discovery website, and it lead me to these forums. I have been doing a lot of research, and he's in a 2x2x4 screen enclosure. I will take any advise happily. I have been trying to find someone to that is more experienced to take him. But so far he is healthy. He is a picky eatter. I am hoping to be allowed in the classified section soon. I live in a very rural area, and have found people interested in him, but with less experience with reptiles than me.

I know that he's not my a good first choice. I have been worried to death. I got him at a reptile show. I was going to get a veil, and on the way to them I seen the melleri. The woman that was selling him said "He's heartier than a veiled, and very easy to care for them". Then when I got home I started doing research. I figured out she lied. I have been a nervous wreck ever since. I found the melleri discovery website, and it lead me to these forums. I have been doing a lot of research, and he's in a 2x2x4 screen enclosure. I will take any advise happily. I have been trying to find someone to that is more experienced to take him. But so far he is healthy. He is a picky eatter. I am hoping to be allowed in the classified section soon. I live in a very rural area, and have found people interested in him, but with less experience with reptiles than me.

Ahh yes. The old "the vendor lied to me" routine. I've seen it a million times. I'm glad that you started doing research right away and realized what you were in for. Like I said, don't hesitate to PM if you have any questions. As for housing, see my prior post https://www.chameleonforums.com/melleri-enclosure-42467/. They need LOTS of space.

Wow, that's a really nice enclosure. What are the dimensions on that? My little guy is much smaller than that now, but if I might be trying to build him a larger enclosure...

Wow, that's a really nice enclosure. What are the dimensions on that? My little guy is much smaller than that now, but if I might be trying to build him a larger enclosure...

The dimensions are listed on the post. What is the size of your melleri? Is it one of the small/baby "farm raised" ones that a few people had? If so, then yes, the large screen cage will be fine for now. In the future, as he/she gets older (and larger), you will need to switch to something bigger or a free range, etc. All of my full-grown adults generally average 450 grams or so.

Aww sounds like (s)he is still pretty small. With the lower basking temps watch to make sure he/she is properly digesting the food. When you see a BM makes sure its not hard and lumpy. I'm sure as you know proper digestion is important to absorb nutrition!

I have 3 Melleri right now and all of them like different temps :rolleyes: I have my adult in a 8 feet high 4 1/2 feet wide 4 1/2 feet long and he uses every inch of it lol, so you may want to start a plan for more space.

They are hands down my favorite good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!

The important thing is that you are able to provide both heat and cool and space to wander a little.

It sounds like your enclosure is too small to do that- you either had to have heat or cool. He needs both.

The enclosure is sufficiently large. It is enough to move the heating bulb to a corner so that there is some volume of the enclosure with low temperature.

I keep melleri in 80*40*60cm untill they are 30cm long.

Oh- sorry I missed the dimensions before and was just going on what the op said about having to get the temperature down.

You are right- if the room temp isn't too warm just moving the bulb to a corner of the cage will work.

Okay sorry now I just figured out what I need to do. The difference between my room temp and basking temp is only a few degrees. I need to turn the thermostat down in the room so the overall tempature in lower, but use a higher watt bulb for basking. That way he will have a higher range to move around in.

Back
Top Bottom