My Male Chameleon Spyro Tongue Issues

Citycham96

Hi I just recently received my male chameleon from this site bigAppleherp.com I’ve ordered a bearded from there making this my second purchase from that site, exited to get my Chameleon I received him in a interesting package very fast deliver shipped one day and received it the next. amazing yet the heat pack was already freezing…… a day later I notice he hasn’t been using his tongue properly not able too shoot it out and my concerns is that this may be a really bad issue.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-7lAquxFyX0Z3QYD51oLRiDhphfmVqyN

With the link I provided u can see the videos of how I received him and then a video of how he tries to shoot his tongue

Any information on what I should do next would be greatly appreciated!!!🙏🏽 92F23896-8794-4601-B2F5-1F419AE37C04.jpeg

Awwwww poor little man... Definitely something going on with the tongue. You are going to need to hold the bug with your fingers right up to his mouth and see if he can take it. then see if he can chew it and get it down. Try not to use the tongs at all. This can be particularly dangerous for chams that in turn end up with shooting issues due to hitting the tong and pulling it in while the keep is holding it.

I am not familiar at all with the breeder you got him from. Injury could have happened prior to shipping or during shipping. Could be an actual injury or could be improper supplementation.

How long have you had him now?

Awwwww poor little man... Definitely something going on with the tongue. You are going to need to hold the bug with your fingers right up to his mouth and see if he can take it. then see if he can chew it and get it down. Try not to use the tongs at all. This can be particularly dangerous for chams that in turn end up with shooting issues due to hitting the tong and pulling it in while the keep is holding it.

I am not familiar at all with the breeder you got him from. Injury could have happened prior to shipping or during shipping. Could be an actual injury or could be improper supplementation.

How long have you had him now?
He actually eats perfectly fine I only use the tongues for demonstration but with hand feeding he eat fine and when I put his food in his tray he eats perfectly fine without any assistance I was told by the the support team from the company where I purchased him that it could be do to “lazy tongue syndrome” out of all my research I’ve yet to hear of this😣
(Also his poop is good)

He actually eats perfectly fine I only use the tongues for demonstration but with hand feeding he eat fine and when I put his food in his tray he eats perfectly fine without any assistance I was told by the the support team from the company where I purchased him that it could be do to “lazy tongue syndrome” out of all my research I’ve yet to hear of this😣
(Also his poop is good)
When you say he eats fine do you mean he is fully targeting and extending the tongue? I have been in the hobby 4 years and have never heard of lazy tongue syndrome.

When you say he eats fine do you mean he is fully targeting and extending the tongue? I have been in the hobby 4 years and have never heard of lazy tongue syndrome.
That’s what I’m saying, I’ve never Hurd of that!! The fact that he gave me that as an excuse is crazy!!!, and he’s eating perfectly fine as in he is going to his food tray and eating from it but he just puts his head in his tray and sticks his tongue out a little to grab the food about the same distance as he does in the clip I provided, and he chews fine swallows the food fine and poops fine.

That’s what I’m saying, I’ve never Hurd of that!! The fact that he gave me that as an excuse is crazy!!!, and he’s eating perfectly fine as in he is going to his food tray and eating from it but he just puts his head in his tray and sticks his tongue out a little to grab the food about the same distance as he does in the clip I provided, and he chews fine swallows the food fine and poops fine.

Attachments

• 7C87D5A4-A9E7-4329-B7BA-EBD6DEA2701F.jpeg
    7C87D5A4-A9E7-4329-B7BA-EBD6DEA2701F.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 52
Ok well what you are describing sounds like he has adapted to his tongue deficiency. Which is very fortunate because he has figured out how to successfully eat with it. But I am hoping if it is a matter of him having the incorrect supplements like lake of vitamin A that if he has it for a few months if you will see an improvement. Other option is taking him to a really good reptile vet with lots of experience. But if it is a vitamin A issue you can correct this as well.

Since you are new to the forum would you like to do a husbandry review so we can make sure everything is on point?
If so copy and paste the form below into your reply then fill out with detail.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom