my little buddy didnt make it...

Larsa

hi everyone... i dont know how many of you viewing this viewed my health clinic thread about a swollen cham's foot, but I have very depressing news. My little guy didnt make through yesterday, I was horrified when I woke up to see him laying there like that-I bawled my eyes out. My husband originally bought him impulsively online from reptilecity's website because he wanted a chameleon and found one "on sale" and ordered one at like 3 am. Omg I was so upset when he asked me " what does w.c. mean?" When I told him what it was, he was so sad to think that this cham was torn off of a tree in Africa, shipped to the US to a local reptile facility waiting to be ordered to a new home. We got little Espio a week later, he was shipped to us in a TINY box im surprised he could breathe :( We took him the vet a few days later and he got his first shot, he ran immediately onto my husband's shirt. she said his husbandry was fine, supplements were on track, and his humidity and temp are fine. A month later his nail turned kinda black and took him to a the vet for a checkup. It turns out he got a bacterial infection. My thread on the health clinic explains everything. My vet did the very best that she could and I thank her a million times for helping him get this far. My little buddy is gone now....my husband wishes that we could have taken him to his home to Africa and set him free in the wild, where he belonged. My husband is in pain right now and keeps saying he wishes he researched what w.c. meant and never bought him because he could still be alive right now.

He was the darned sweetest cham I had ever seen. He was our first chameleon, and possibly our last because I just couldnt save him. I wasnt good enough and I feel like another cham would be replacing him. I have had many reptiles in my care before but never a chameleon. Little guy loved to get out of his home to climb on our bamboo tree or my husbands hair. I miss him when he was healthy, he ate off of my hand it was soooo awesome!!!! :') He never hissed at us, bit us, or acted mean at all. He was so innocent and pure. He did not deserve all of this pain at all. My husband says he wants to take full responsibility because he is the one who caused all of this and how he wasnt taking care of him as much as I was he should have been better. Truth is he took very good care of him, in fact, Espio loved him!!! Espio loved him so darned much. He would curl up his tail when Cole held him like he was relaxed, ate all his food when Cole was around, always wanted to climb him. When it was time that he had to go back in his home, Espio would still keep climbing up his arm. He would stare at us and twist his head up at us, it was so f-ing cute especially when his eyes would go in different directions when he did that. Espio loved to do funny things like sleep in hilariously uncomfortable looking positions, pooped on us, and dangled upside down under his UV light. Even when he was sick and took him to the vet, he was still so curious and wanted to explore. My vet laughed and said " for being sick, you sure are active! LOL"

When we took him into the vet today to ask for a cremation I started crying when I handed the lady my buddy, all dead in his pet carrier. He shouldnt be seen like that, it made me cry in the jeep. Tomorrow when I pick up his ashes I am gonna cry and put them in a gorgeous urn next to a picture of him I framed up all pretty. Not the picture I posted, lol its a real pictured frame sitting on my table! ;')

Im so sorry everyone, I really did the very best I could. It wasnt good enough but at least he lived longer than I thought in his medical condition. The sad thing is I want to be a vet and wanting to go to college soon. I dont know if I should take all of this as a learning experience or as a sad memory. He was a great friend and close to a child to me. I loved the little cham so much, he was so so good and I want him to know that im so sorry. He honestly deserved to be free and happy and should have gotten anything he wanted because he was so sweet and deserved everything good. I wish more than anything that he could understand his "pet parents" loved him very much and he could NEVER be replaced. Espio, I am so so sorry and please rest in peace you beautiful little baby.

*crying*

IMG_3019.jpg

Espio R.I.P. April 3rd 2012 sweetest, nicest chameleon ever.

I am sorry you lost your little one. They are gone so fast, once we see the problem it can already be too late. RIP

I'm so sorry to hear that your charm pass a way I just had the same problem everyone on here told me she was a wild caught or the vet killed her but I felt the same way you did that it was my falt but every one said it wasn't and I should try again and now I did I just got a veiled so I hope I have better luck
But like I said I'm sry for your loss yours looked a lot like the one I had

Thank you so much everyone!!! :') I have been so stressed all day, waiting impatiently for my vet to call me. I got his ashes today!!!! It made me SO happy!!! It came in a polished cedar box with a letter, it was so sweet!! They surprised me when I opened the box and saw my little buddy in a neat bag with a ribbon thingy on it!!! They wrapped him up all nice. I saw his ashes, they were white and there were some little bones. They told me that he was individually burned alone and these were HIS ashes!! I was so paranoid that he would be thrown in with like cats or dogs and thats great I dont have mixed ashes!!! I KNOW 100000% its him, it makes me so happy omg. I saw part of his jaw and it was def a cham jaw from the teeth being part of his jaw bone, not teeth in sockets like mammals. when I saw his bones, I was scared that they wer elike a mouse or something, lolz they were so little!!! His ashes ae so pretty, they are white and almost look like snow. I feel like he is still with me right now with his ashes in my home and im happy he can be here. haha he is waaaay easier to take care of now j/p :p Im happy that he had a nice little respectful memorial for his remains and anytime I miss him, I can look at his ashes or his framed picture. It was a perfect and proper ending for his body, he deserved the best possible. If anyone lives near Plano, TX I HIGHLY recommend going to Parker Animal and Bird Clinic. They have helped me so darned much and made sure I got my chams ashes safely. They take great care in their work and love animals.

Im so so so sorry for your loss :( you did your best and took such wonderful care for this animal. it means alot to see people who care enought to do what you've done. i truely hope you get another cham that CB and give it a loveing careing home.

that was a very nice memorial post, makes me feel very sad with you. i hope you remain in the hobby and i know you will cherish the memories forever.
R.I.P Espio you sure are missed.
big hug

I know exactly how you feel I lost my little Kaida about two weeks ago. She started doing better for two days then the next day I found her lifeless on the bottom of her cage... I miss her so much... :"(

Awe I am so sorry to hear about your little one. You gave him love and it sounds as if he really felt it. It shines though in the words you wrote. Please know you are in my heart and prayers as you get through this very difficult time.

I am sorry for your loss... It is really heartbreaking to feel helpless and see them go... Chameleons are magnificent animals, and I hope you will not give up on keeping them.

thank you so much everyone! ;') wow i didnt expect to have 2 pages of condolences!!! It really means so much, I am gonna print all these prayers out out and put them in his cedar box. I want him to know so many people care about him. I wont pick up right away getting another cham, I dont feel like im quite ready. I have an empty 40 gal breeder tank and some tropical and desert bulbs, my husband is talking about a bearded dragon or a uro for right now. I would really really love another cham because they are the darned cutest lizards ever but perhaps start off slow and work my way there. even though a beardie is tropical, they are easy enough to maintain. Someday I will get another cham and he will be happy and healthy. I am not gonna leave the forum, dont worry :p I will pal around and check out ya'll pictures and comment them! It makes me so happy so many people here care, thank you all again! ^-^

here is i cedar box everyone! Idk if anyone wanted me to open it LOL its kinda creepy and I didnt want to scare everyone :p I am also gonna make a polymer clay espio charm for a necklace or something else too.

IMG_3183.jpg

Back
Top Bottom